Re: Re: [Yahoo TI99] Question on PE System 5¼" Drives

  • ti99_forever
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1, 2005
      Mine are a pair of Teac FD55 360k, slight variation
      (can't tell unless up close). I found Teac's specs on
      their site, but it appears to be missing a description
      of the jumpers.

      I've only found that an IU jumper causes the motor to
      spin up only when the drive-select for the drive is
      active (when the In-Use light on the front is turned
      on).

      Just don't like any extra wear on my floppies when
      they aren't really being addressed.

      Ben

      --- ptshpboy23 <bry1974ny@...> wrote:

      > Well keep in mind that when you:
      >
      > - Power up the system
      > - FCTN-QUIT
      > - Access either DSK1/2/3
      >
      > All drive motors are running. That does not
      > necessarily mean they are
      > active, in other words the red light may not appear
      > on but if you look
      > inside you'll see that spindle motor running.

      http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
    • Dan Olson
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 1, 2005
        > And dome drives have a "head load" jumper. With that
        > enabled, a solenoid keeps the heads off the disk
        > until the drive gets the drive select signal. It's
        > perfectly safe to leave a disk in a drive that has
        > head load enabled because the heads aren't keeping
        > constant pressure on the media. The thing with that
        > is the drive makes a pretty loud noise whenever it's
        > accessed because the solenoid retracts quickly and
        > they don't have anything to cushion it or dampen the
        > noise.

        One or two of my FD-55s had that, and it's slick, keeps the head from
        sitting on the disk when the drive isn't in use. Some of the newer ones
        weren't quite as loud, but you can hear them.

        Dan