Re: [ti-99/4a] RE: Re: TI Emulator for Palm OS?

  • Dan Olson
    Message 1 of 36 , Jun 1, 2000
      > >As long as it could re-create the TI disk for use on a TI then I would be
      > >all for it. The main thing that I am looking for is a way that those of us
      > >who don't want to use an emulator could still get the software via the
      > >internet.

      That's what I'd like to see too. (keep reading...)

      > I have this concern as well. A lot of the stuff that Charles Good (bless you!)
      > is putting on ftp.whtech.com is in PC99 ".dsk" format. I just bought the TI
      > Cyc CDROM, and it has a lot of ".dsk" files, also.

      This is exactly what I've seen too, and I agree 100% that I definetly
      can't complain about those people taking the extra effort to make the disk
      images available, but it'd be nice to have a simple (and free :) way to
      get them to the TI.

      > I respect the contribution of all this software freely available, but somewhat
      > regret that it requires the purchase of a commercial program (PC99) to transfer
      > it to a TI-99/4A. I really have no use for an emulator (under DOS/Windows,
      > esp.) except for this conversion. Seems to me there ought to be a FW/PD

      I again agree, I fully respect that PC99 is available for a small price,
      vs. being free, and that the pc-transfer utilitys only come with it. I
      think it would be worth while working towards a way to get .dsk files to
      actual disks, hopefully in a way that is compatable with more than one OS
      and/or platform.

      > utility to allow the conversion, or better yet a PD spec of the ".dsk" format,
      > so I might could write a unpacking utility for my Atari or Linux machine.

      What I'd like is a conversion utility that takes a "standard disk dump",
      if there is such a thing, and converts it to a .dsk file, and another
      converter that does just the opisite. It may very well be that no such
      converter is needed, and both formats are one in the same. It looks like
      Anadisk is able to read a TI disk and save it to a file, I think there may
      be a way of getting something like Teledisk to do the reverse process. I
      should also mention that Andy B. has done a *ton* of work along these
      lines, I've done little/nothing so far as I really won't have access to
      the hardware I need until next week at the earilest. I should also
      mention that I did a disk dump of a DOS formatted HD disk, using both
      Anadisk, and Linux, and got the same results, so I think it may be
      possable to use Linux as well, but I'm not sure what it'll do with SD. I
      suspect that it would be possible to make use of some of the various
      programs out there, and just come up with a few simple converters to go
      between formats, and we'll be set. Oh, what Atari are you using, by the
      way? I would suspect an ST or one of the 68k machines? The 8 bit ataris
      are a little weird and may cause some problems for disk transfers, the
      eariler drives didn't use index holes, and I don't think Atari used sector
      0, so I don't know if the drives are able to write a TI disk. I suspect
      that the STs and later would be a little more standardised. One last
      thing, could someone out there point me to a web page or ftp site with
      Teledisk on it? I loose my network connection in a week, so I'd probably
      best get it now :)

      Dan
    • Yates, Ben
      Message 36 of 36 , Jun 2, 2000
        I suggest that those of you wanting to convert PC99 dsk files to V9T9 format
        check out ftp://209.172.89.40/pc99/pc99utilities/dskdata.exe on the WHT ftp
        site.