[Yahoo TI99] Re: C99 and Win994a simulator

  • hslomer2001
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 1, 2005
      Everyone, thanks for the information.

      I was able to process the ARK files and install the C99 compiler and
      Funnelweb on the Win994a simulator. Instead of creating the V9T9
      disks directly (after receiving the disk error message) I used option
      3 to create a PC-99 disks and then used PC992V9.EXE to convert the
      disks to V9T9.

      Howard

      --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, "Paolo Bagnaresi"
      <paolo.bagnaresi@f...> wrote:

      > "hslomer2001" on Monday, February 28, 2005 2:01 PM
      > wrote:
      > > I have not been able to process the C99 ARK files with ti99-pc.
      > > I did not see a specific ti99-pc step to process ARK files. I
      > > selected option 1) (FROM TI-99/4A disk to DOS or Emulators) first
      then
      > > option 3) (Transfer disk image file (obtained from option 1) to
      PC-99
      > > virtual disk).
      >
      > No, that's not the way. You have to import the files in a TI99-PC
      file
      > first.
      > See below.
      >

      > > Ti99-pc reports that the C99 ARK files do not appear to be a true
      > > TI99/Geneve disk image files (DSK or WIN missing in sector 9).
      If I
      > > continue and try to process the file the program reports an
      "overflow"
      > > error.
      > Right, they are not valid TI disk image files. They are just DOS
      files,
      > containing a TI99/4A ARK file.
      >
      > So, we have a problem here: we have some TI99/4A files, ARKed into a
      unique
      > PC DOS file directory.
      > We want to extract them from the ark shell, and store them in V9T9
      file that
      > will be later fed to a MESS emulator.
      >
      > Source: TI99/4A ARKed files, in a PC DOS directory
      > Destination: a V9T9 disk, containing the same files, extracted from
      the ARK
      > shell
      >
      > Environment: since we don't need working with a real floppy, we can
      use any
      > PC environment, including
      > Windows NT/2000/XP
      >
      > Method: - import the file in a TI99-PC temporary file. Extract from
      ARK
      > while importing.
      > - export the file to V9T9 format
      >
      > What to do
      > ==========
      >
      > Fire TI99-PC on your PC and do the following:
      > a) --> 2) TO TI-99/4A disk from Emulator or DOS
      > b) --> 6) Import Files from DOS or ARK files to a TI99-PC disk image
      file
      > Tag the ARK file you want to import.
      > Make sure to use the X tag while importing the ARK
      file.
      > The X tag forces an on-the-fly extraction of the
      files
      > containeds in the ARK shell.
      > Although you can import more than one ARK file at a
      time,
      > maybe it's
      > better to do it one ARK file at a time, so later all
      the files
      > contained in each ARK file will go in a separate v9t9
      disk
      > image file.
      >
      > c) --> 0) Exit
      > d) --> 1) FROM TI-99/4A disk to DOS or Emulators
      > e) --> 5) Transfer a disk image file to a V9T9 image file
      > Note: you will notice that if the source file is greater
      than 90
      > KB
      > the program will issue an error, saying that "This
      disk type
      > is not yet supported for transferring to v9t9".
      > If MESS handles files of the v9t9 type larger than
      90 KB,
      > please disregard the warning and proceed anyway.
      > If this is not the case, the file has to be split to
      90 KB
      > before transferring to v9t9 format. Use option
      > 7) Split a large disk image file into smaller disk
      image
      > files.
      > You're done...
      >
      > I hope this helps. Please post again if you get suck somewhere. I
      admit
      > TI99-PC is somehow difficult to work with. Sometimes makes me hate
      it. I
      > think I will have talk to the programmer sometime....
      >
      > Paolo
      >
      > ===========
      > P.S.
      >
      > When I added the ARK/UnARK capability to TI99/PC, I remember I spent
      some
      > time to understand the
      > different headers used by ARK and TIFILES files. Thanks to Jim Uzzel
      for the
      > help he kindly provided :-)
      > It turns out that these files come in many "flavours",so to speak.
      > I downloaded as many files as possible from whtech and tried all
      the
      > possible combinations.
      > So, TI99-PC *should* be able to handle all the different types of
      > ARK/TIFILES files.
      > Some files may fail, though... alas, nothing is perfect in this
      world.
    • Paolo Bagnaresi
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 1, 2005
        From: "hslomer2001"
        > Instead of creating the V9T9
        > disks directly (after receiving the disk error message) I used option
        > 3 to create a PC-99 disks and then used PC992V9.EXE to convert the
        > disks to V9T9.

        As always, there's more than one way to skin a cat :-)

        Paolo
      • Gregory McGill
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 1, 2005
          Was the error message that v9t9 doesn't support that size disk? If so just
          say ok and continue. MESS does support it.

          Greg

          http://www.ti99ers.org/home/.
          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • hslomer2001
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 1, 2005
            Greg,

            Yes, that was the error message. I went back and tried again.
            You are correct, I told it to continue and it produced a DSDD disk.

            Howard

          • Gregory McGill
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 1, 2005
              Glad to hear it works for you :) That should save you loading another
              program anyway. Maybe you can upload the pristine c99 disks to the v9t9 dir
              on whtech so others wont have to convert?

              Greg

            • hslomer2001
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 2, 2005
                Greg,

                I ftp'ed the disks to ftp://ftp.whtech.com/incoming/. Please let
                me know if the transfer was successful.

              • Beery_Asst@msn.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 3, 2005
                  The files have been moved to the MESS/DISKS folder with a specific
                  folder name of C99 Disks.....

                  Enjoy