Re: [Yahoo TI99] Eprom to Card edge cable?

  • Ron Reuter
    Message 1 of 25 , Nov 1, 2004
      I did miss that. I looked at the cartridge, did not see any way
      that the uv could bounce around. I did examine the case a little
      more and found a much easier way to open the case. In fact it just
      hinges this way. It almost looks like you could push it onto an
      opener and it would open it for you. Then you just snap it shut.

      I have a picture below that shows this. Just put a small
      screwdriver in both of the sqaure holes located on the bottom of the
      cartridge, pry back just a hair and the case hinges open. Does not
      hurt the label, except for a little fold.

      http://mainbyte.com/ti99/romox_open.jpg

      Ron

      --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, "Ksarul" <vze23g4a@v...> wrote:
      > Look at the picture of the programmers under the technology tab
      and it says
      > that there was a cartridge eraser at the right side of the monitor
      housing.
      > Maybe the geometry of the cart was such that it reflected the UV
      into the
      > right area when inserted there??
      >
      > Jim

      states: "Reprogrammable

      http://www.ti99hof.org?
      http://www.ti99olug.org/home/
      > Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Dan Olson
      Message 2 of 25 , Nov 1, 2004
        My thinking was to use an EEPROM and use the TI as the programmer, unless
        there are issues doing that, another difference is that the cartridge
        could be programmed through the cartridge port if EEPROMs are used. I'll
        let people know once I get one hooked up and tested.

        Dan

        On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 rmcarmany@... wrote:

        > The chip is a 2764 EPROM with a 21V Vpp. Both EPROMs (E)rasable
        > (P)rogramable ROM and EEPROMs (E)lectrically (E)rasable (P)rogramable ROM are reusable.
        > They differ in the means of erasing the old data. EPROMs use UV light for
        > erasure and EEPROMs use an electrical current.
        >

        > Bob Carmany

        > For users/owners of TI-99/4A and compatibles everywhere!
        > Have you visited the TI99'ers Hall of Fame at http://www.ti99hof.org?
        > Check out the TI99ers On-Line User Group at http://www.ti99olug.org/home/
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Gregg Eshelman
        Message 3 of 25 , Nov 1, 2004
          --- Mithrandir <ti99_forever@...> wrote:

          > Of couse, I'd guess I'd need to be able to ERASE the
          > original? I suppose Romox may have been able to
          > reprogram via the card-edge but still had to open it
          > to erase the original. Oh well, can't put the entire
          > cart in my eraser...

          One thing you could do is replace the chip with a
          ZIF (Zero Insertion Force) socket in the cartridge.
          This would be a quite literal hack, since you'd have
          to cut a hole in the cartridge top to access the
          ZIF socket. ;)

          Then you could just flip the lever to pop the chip
          out for erasure and reprogramming.

          =====
          It WAS total Fandemonium!
          http://www.fandemonium.org
          Didn't go? Fandemonium 2005

          Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
          www.yahoo.com
        • Gregg Eshelman
          Message 4 of 25 , Nov 2, 2004
            A bit of EPROM trivia.

            When light hits the chip under the window, it produces
            a small amount of electricity. They're better than
            one of those homebrew science fair project solar
            cells made with oxidized copper. Several EPROMs can
            be strung together in a series-parallel arrangement
            to build a rather inefficient solar panel. ;)

            =====