Re: [Yahoo TI99] TI99PC and emulation

  • Adam Haase
    Message 1 of 56 , Oct 2, 2004
      --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, swim4home@a... wrote:
      > That's a pretty hefty DOS machine Adam, I'll bet it really flies. :)

      That it does, it also doubles as my "run programs that don't bloody
      work in Windows" machine, although of late everything I really need
      has emulators or versions that work. (Ultima 7, one of my favorite
      DOS-only PC games, has an absolutely fantastic sourceforge windows
      shell called Exult.)

      > I have a 40MHz 80386 here for this kind of work. It's just so much fun
      > to use. :)

      Wow, that's definitely vintage. We had 16/33mhz machines at my high
      school back in '93, and we thought those were pretty cool. Played
      "Wolfenstein 3D" on them fairly well, although with no sound card.
      That was the last time I saw a PC with a turbo switch that actually
      worked.

      The Tandy Color Computer had a better solution, a software processor
      overclock. (Actually it removed the built-in delays on the DMA's.)
      Type in a particular POKE and you doubled or tripled the speed of your
      computer, but it could cause damage if left running too long. Heh,
      kind of reminds me of Dragonball Z, with Goku's "Kaio Ken" technique.

      Not long after that I was working at a copy store, the owner was an
      Atari ST hobbyist, and also a local computer hardware fixer. A guy
      brought in an actual authentic 8086 computer with two 5 1/4" drives,
      no hard drive. Got it from the local school for about $10.

      That's something I've always wondered about, the Triton Turbo-XT.
      Anyone here actually own one? At the time, I couldn't have bought one
      anyway, being 11-12 years old and having no money, but it seemed to me
      at the time it was just a trick to get you to change over to an
      IBM-PC. At least the Geneve was running an authentic TI chip.

      Adam
    • Ted
      Message 56 of 56 , Oct 6, 2004
        your welcome, I was just tring to be helpful. :) also Tom Mullins I
        appreciate your taking the time to help.:)

        Ted