[ti-99/4a] Re: comparing Apples and Ti's---------------Off Topic

  • John Creviston
    Message 1 of 49 , Nov 1, 2003
      Personally I prefer Red Delicious, while sitting at my TI,
      If anyone wants blue LEDs for their pe-box cards, they can be bought
      on ebay for a fraction of the RS price. Most of the ones listed on
      ebay are very bright, much more than the original yellow/amber ones.
      The ones I got came with 470 ohm resistors for 12 volt circuits but
      they make the brightness much better when used on the 5 volts of the
      pe-box cards.
    • Dan Olson
      Message 49 of 49 , Nov 2, 2003

        > I have nothing against a computer when it works correctly, or I
        > wouldn't own about half a dozen PCs. I have a Packard Bell that is a
        > wonderful machine, and I will probably toss this Gateway out on its
        > *ss and replace it. Too bad it is only 200mhz, but so what? The speed
        > boost my 450mhz Gateway gives doesn't help much with email and
        > internet anyway.

        I'd much rather have a slow computer that works than a fast one that
        doesn't :) I'm not much of a gamer (I try to play a few games on the TI
        from time to time, and even that doesn't happen much), and find that
        there's really no point in having the latest and greatest for internet
        use. My modem would be the bottle neck anyway. Recently I've been using
        486s and a 386 as Xterminals for internet use and an IBM XT as a text
        terminal for e-mail...neither really takes much.

        > I've tried the Linuxes (sp? or is it Linii?), and always seem to wind
        > up with a distribution CD that locks up on install. Doesn't like my
        > hardware, or a CD read error. Last one I had to install manually. But

        Recently I've had some weird trouble with a boot disk hanging on one of my
        486s, but it worked fine on other machines, and I've used that system for
        ages and knew the hardware was good...finally just installed on another
        system and moved the hard drive over. For the most part, though, I've had
        a lot less trouble than with Windows.

        > then my ISP doesn't provide support for Linux, and I haven't found
        a > cheap one who does.

        Usually if you can talk them out of some network info (DNS and such)
        there's no need for support. My ISP doesn't support the TI but I can
        still use it to dial in (but I haven't for years now..)

        Dan