Re: Takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

  • dlormand@aztecfreenet.org
    Message 1 of 49 , Oct 31, 2003
      >And remember, a part of our defense system runs on military versions
      >of the 9900 - correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it the TOW anti-
      >tank missle?
      >Which one of you guys on this list mentioned some time back using
      >your TI to write and test some code? Is that David Ormand?
      >Very interesting story that I don't mind repeating to my friends...

      Yep. 9989. Not for new production, of course, but it's still in
      service. I still have my TOW program purchased 4A rig at my
      desk!

      I know it's kind of off-topic, but I'll put in one little bash on
      Microsoft. The Navy hates Windows. We built a Tomahawk launch
      controller on (what else but the company management-mandated)
      Windows NT/2000, and our customer was not too happy to hear about
      that. Seems they had someone do a destroyer system, including a
      bunch of networked Wintels. One box went down... and dragged the
      rest of the network with it! The destroyer had to be towed back
      to port. The Navy hates Windows. We are moving toward Linux
      (and real-time extensions).

      Not that this affects the original premise of this thread. The
      prime time for the TI is past, and now is the day of the 2GHz,
      256MB, 60GB Intel machines (go Apple!). And certainly the speech
      input characteristics of the peecee is going to be better than the
      TI was in its day. But it DID start with Texas Instruments, as
      did a lot of our association with computing.

      And it is certainly challenging to try to get our little TI to do
      the same _sort_ of things that the high-powered machines can do!
    • Dan Olson
      Message 49 of 49 , Nov 2, 2003

        > I have nothing against a computer when it works correctly, or I
        > wouldn't own about half a dozen PCs. I have a Packard Bell that is a
        > wonderful machine, and I will probably toss this Gateway out on its
        > *ss and replace it. Too bad it is only 200mhz, but so what? The speed
        > boost my 450mhz Gateway gives doesn't help much with email and
        > internet anyway.

        I'd much rather have a slow computer that works than a fast one that
        doesn't :) I'm not much of a gamer (I try to play a few games on the TI
        from time to time, and even that doesn't happen much), and find that
        there's really no point in having the latest and greatest for internet
        use. My modem would be the bottle neck anyway. Recently I've been using
        486s and a 386 as Xterminals for internet use and an IBM XT as a text
        terminal for e-mail...neither really takes much.

        > I've tried the Linuxes (sp? or is it Linii?), and always seem to wind
        > up with a distribution CD that locks up on install. Doesn't like my
        > hardware, or a CD read error. Last one I had to install manually. But

        Recently I've had some weird trouble with a boot disk hanging on one of my
        486s, but it worked fine on other machines, and I've used that system for
        ages and knew the hardware was good...finally just installed on another
        system and moved the hard drive over. For the most part, though, I've had
        a lot less trouble than with Windows.

        > then my ISP doesn't provide support for Linux, and I haven't found
        a > cheap one who does.

        Usually if you can talk them out of some network info (DNS and such)
        there's no need for support. My ISP doesn't support the TI but I can
        still use it to dial in (but I haven't for years now..)

        Dan