Empty Page Problem

  • Richard Bell
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 1, 2003
      Does anyone remember what causes the printer to spool an empty page
      between pages of text? I know it's a simple cure but the old grey cells
      just won't let me remember what it is. :-)

      BTW, I'm using My Word but the same thing happens with TI writer as I
      remember.
    • Ben Yates
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 1, 2003
        --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, Richard Bell <rbell@p...> wrote:
        > Does anyone remember what causes the printer to spool an empty page
        > between pages of text? I know it's a simple cure but the old grey
        cells
        > just won't let me remember what it is. :-)
        >
        > BTW, I'm using My Word but the same thing happens with TI writer as
        > remember.

        First, I thought it was a Windows question. I've gone thru heck
        trying to get my EPSON3250 to work on Win98. Win98 doesn't have a
        driver for that printer, like Win95. I had to download one from
        Epson.com, and they provide a "Generic 24 pin" driver that is pretty
        pathetic. I had to play forever with the page settings, "Unprintable
        Areas", the printer settings itself. I was getting blank pages,
        cutoff on margins and at bottom, etc. Still not _perfect_, can't be
        with the lousy driver.

        But, for a TI (thankfully), it is probably a matter of lines per
        page. Like my Epson 3250 can only have 56 lines per page, so you must
        be sure you set the form length to 56 in the word processor.
        So, since your printer probably has "skip perforation" set, or if it
        is a page printer, it is moving to the next page automatically - then
        when the word processor, who is counting lines, gets to that value -
        it does another page eject - and this can happen before any text is
        printed on the page...

        Ben
      • Dan Olson
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 2, 2003
          If it were me, I would start with the TI to centeronics pintout, then the
          PC to centronics pinout, and from there make a TI to DB25 cable. Is that
          what you're after?

          Dan

          On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, harleystroker2 wrote:

          > I do have a A/B way switch box. The problem I am having is that I do
          > not know the proper wiring format for the TI parallel plug to
          > translate it to the 25 pin plug. I am not sure if the expansion box
          > has the same plug as the CorComp 9900 (16 pin , 8 upper, 8 lower)
          > 1 ^ 8
          > [o][o][o][o][o][o][o][o]
          > [o][o][o][o][o][o][o][o]
          > 9 16
          > That is what I was hoping someone could help me with.
          > Thanx
          > ---
          > In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, "Gregory McGill" <mcgill@t...> wrote:
          > > Basically you need to match the output of a PC parallel port..
          > Since I
          > > assume you have one of those from the box to the printer. You can
          > find the
          > > pinouts of a pc parallel port with a google search..
          > >
          > >://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          >

          > For users/owners of TI-99/4A and compatibles everywhere!

        • harleystroker2
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 2, 2003
            I THINK I figured out the solution- I have to find a Computer A/B
            switch and not a printer A/B switch :o) The setup mentioned before
            with the centronics plugs on the box is what I need not the box with
            the 25 pin plugs, Oh well back to the computer stores to look around
            again. Thanx for the advice.
            --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, Dan Olson <dano@a...> wrote:
            > If it were me, I would start with the TI to centeronics pintout,
            then the
            > PC to centronics pinout, and from there make a TI to DB25 cable.
            Is that
            > what you're after?
            >
            > Dan
            >

            > On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, harleystroker2 wrote:
            >
            > > I do have a A/B way switch box. The problem I am having is that I
            do
            > > not know the proper wiring format for the TI parallel plug to
            > > translate it to the 25 pin plug. I am not sure if the expansion
            box
            > > has the same plug as the CorComp 9900 (16 pin , 8 upper, 8 lower)
            > > 1 ^ 8
            > > [o][o][o][o][o][o][o][o]
            > > [o][o][o][o][o][o][o][o]
            > > 9 16
            > > That is what I was hoping someone could help me with.
            > > Thanx
            > > ---
            > > In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, "Gregory McGill" <mcgill@t...> wrote:
            > > > Basically you need to match the output of a PC parallel port..
            > > Since I
            > > > assume you have one of those from the box to the printer. You
            can
            > > find the
            > > > pinouts of a pc parallel port with a google search..
            > > >
            > > >://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            > >

            > > For users/owners of TI-99/4A and compatibles everywhere!

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • georgeweidman
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 3, 2003
              You should be able to use the box with the 25 pin plug if it switches
              all of the lines. You could make a cable to go to the box (wired
              properly) and then use a standard PC to Centronics plug for the
              printer. Connect the wires so they match the PC parallel port and you
              should be all set.
              George

              --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, "harleystroker2" <harleystroker2@y...>
              wrote:
              > I THINK I figured out the solution- I have to find a Computer A/B
              > switch and not a printer A/B switch :o) The setup mentioned before
              > with the centronics plugs on the box is what I need not the box with
              > the 25 pin plugs, Oh well back to the computer stores to look around
              > again. Thanx for the advice.
              > --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, Dan Olson <dano@a...> wrote:
              > > If it were me, I would start with the TI to centeronics pintout,
              > then the
              > > PC to centronics pinout, and from there make a TI to DB25 cable.
              > Is that
              > > what you're after?
              > >
              > > Dan
              > >

              > > On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, harleystroker2 wrote:
              > >
              > > > I do have a A/B way switch box. The problem I am having is that
              > do
              > > > not know the proper wiring format for the TI parallel plug to
              > > > translate it to the 25 pin plug. I am not sure if the expansion
              > box
              > > > has the same plug as the CorComp 9900 (16 pin , 8 upper, 8
              lower)
              > > > 1 ^ 8
              > > > [o][o][o][o][o][o][o][o]
              > > > [o][o][o][o][o][o][o][o]
              > > > 9 16
              > > > That is what I was hoping someone could help me with.
              > > > Thanx
              > > > ---
              > > > Since I
              > can
              > > > find the

              > > > For users/owners of TI-99/4A and compatibles everywhere!

              > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Paul E. Schippnick
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 4, 2003
                --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, Richard Bell <rbell@p...> wrote:
                > Does anyone remember what causes the printer to spool an empty page
                > between pages of text? I know it's a simple cure but the old grey
                cells
                > just won't let me remember what it is. :-)
                >
                > BTW, I'm using My Word but the same thing happens with TI writer as
                > remember.

                The old form feed printers had the tractor feeder on the page before
                the page to be printed. So an extra form feed would be sent at the
                end of the printed pages of text to feed the last page out to be
                torn off, leaving a blank page to start the feeding for the next
                printing of pages. At work I use such an old printer, so from in
                the Windows RUN dialog box I enter a file name called FF for
                "Form Feed" to send a blank page so the last page of the print out so
                it can be torn. The file FF.BAT is in batch file directory for this,
                it has @echo ^L (a control 12.)
              • Dan Olson
                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 4, 2003
                  I've never seen a centronics A/B box, but they could be out there. I was
                  just thinking of an adaptor or special cable that had the TI connector on
                  one end, and a DB25 on the other such that it'd take a standard PC cable
                  and run a printer.

                  Dan

                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 4, 2003
                    --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, Dan Olson <dano@a...> wrote:
                    > I've never seen a centronics A/B box, but they could be out there.
                    I was
                    > just thinking of an adaptor or special cable that had the TI
                    connector on
                    > one end, and a DB25 on the other such that it'd take a standard PC
                    cable
                    > and run a printer.
                    >
                    > Dan

                    See the problem I am having is that when I made the "D" plug adapter
                    you cannot just wire it direct as that doesn't work and I cannot find
                    two pinouts that match the TI ends to the Proper pins in the "D"
                    plug. They all like to use different terminalogy to discribe the pin
                    usage. I have found three different pinouts for the different plugs
                    and none of them seem to be the right one. (See previous messages for
                    an example) The female side of the plug is starting to look pretty
                    ugly about now from all the soldering and unsoldering :o) that is why
                    I thought I would look for the centronics type box, it just seems so
                    much easier after all this trial & error. I cannot find any TI
                    connectors to start again, they seem to be few and far between
                    anymore. Thanx Again --Bob K.

                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 4, 2003
                      > See the problem I am having is that when I made the "D" plug adapter
                      > you cannot just wire it direct as that doesn't work and I cannot find
                      > two pinouts that match the TI ends to the Proper pins in the "D"
                      > plug. They all like to use different terminalogy to discribe the pin
                      > usage. I have found three different pinouts for the different plugs
                      > and none of them seem to be the right one. (See previous messages for
                      > an example) The female side of the plug is starting to look pretty
                      > ugly about now from all the soldering and unsoldering :o) that is why
                      > I thought I would look for the centronics type box, it just seems so
                      > much easier after all this trial & error. I cannot find any TI
                      > connectors to start again, they seem to be few and far between
                      > anymore. Thanx Again --Bob K.
                      > again. Thanx for the advice.

                      If I were at home, I could probably dig up the pinouts, but I don't have
                      them handy right now. The TI is a little easier as it has so few pins. I
                      thought the conector was a common connector, maybe it has a weird number
                      of pins. If you want I'd be happy to send you a spare cable you could use
                      for such an adaptor.

                      Dan
                    • TheSouthern Gentleman
                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 5, 2003
                        Harley, Forgive my memory loss but are you not a Lady
                        from off the east cost? I just checked out a spoon on
                        my kitchen wall from Georgia.
                        TSG

                        --- harleystroker2 <harleystroker2@...> wrote:
                        > --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com,

                        http://shopping.yahoo.com
                      • Ben Yates
                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 5, 2003
                          --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, Dan Olson <dano@a...> wrote:
                          > I've never seen a centronics A/B box, but they could be out there.
                          I was
                          > just thinking of an adaptor or special cable that had the TI
                          connector on
                          > one end, and a DB25 on the other such that it'd take a standard PC
                          cable
                          > and run a printer.
                          >
                          > Dan

                          I have one. Has three Centronics connectors, and a Centronics-to-
                          Centronics cable to connect the box to the printer.
                          I used it to switch my Epson AP3250 between my PC and my TI.
                          Wondering if I really need it anymore... and where that cable is.

                          Ben
                        • harleystroker2
                          Message 12 of 20 , Oct 5, 2003
                            O.K. If you decide if you don't need it anymore let me know.
                            Thanks Bob K.

                            > I have one. Has three Centronics connectors, and a Centronics-to-
                            > Centronics cable to connect the box to the printer.
                            > I used it to switch my Epson AP3250 between my PC and my TI.
                            > Wondering if I really need it anymore... and where that cable is.
                            >
                            > Ben
                          • Ben Yates
                            Message 13 of 20 , Oct 6, 2003
                              <harleystroker2@y...> wrote:
                              > O.K. If you decide if you don't need it anymore let me know.
                              > Thanks Bob K.

                              I found the centronics-to-centronics cable. It was a little harder to
                              find the A/B switch-box itself (I was looking in the shed and it was
                              in my bedroom closet).
                              I think I can live without it, I haven't used it in about two years
                              now. Contact me by private email...

                              Ben
                            • harleystroker2
                              Message 14 of 20 , Oct 9, 2003
                                Ben- I have been trying to send you email but YAHOO keeps bouncing it
                                back with a bad DEAMON report, I see you are using a NOSPAM setup,
                                email me again. Thanx