[ti-99/4a] Re: About the Emulator

  • Don O'Neil
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 1, 2003
      As dave was saying, it's not a sector size limitation (we currently
      use 512 byte sectors and remap them to 256 byte sectors as the TI
      wants), but an AU/partition issue.

      If someone wanted to work on the SCSI dsr to extend it to support a
      bigger drive, I don't think either myself or Dave would mind. MDOS
      would also have to be modified. It might make sense to work on the
      code mods with the emulator and a virtual HDD, that way you don't
      blow away any data on an actual Geneve. Once the changes were
      integrated into MDOS, the code could be adapted for the DSR (since it
      would most likely be some sort of remap for partitions, or AU
      increase).

      The biggest hurdle is determining which way to go and how (if) it
      would affect current software. Changing the AU size might, but
      partitions may not, but would require more coding.

      --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Gilbertson"
      <richgilbertson@f...> wrote:
      > Richard;
      >
      > You can use 1024k sectors if the drive is a a SCSI 1024K sector
      drive.
      > The format utility that came with the WHT SCSI card had 256k, 512k
      and
      > 1024K formats. I don't see a problem.
      > The partition size on the other hand was more of a problem. By the
      way
      > two SCSI cards can handle 16 Drives and Adaptec makes a SCSI
      splitter box
      > that branches one SCSI ID into 7 more. Last time I saw a used one
      it sold
      > for $350.00 new in 1999.
      >
      > Rich Gilbertson

    • Rich Gilbertson
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 1, 2003
        Don ol buddy;

        You still working at Cisco? Strange as it might sound I am now
        the IT Tech at Freightliner Truck Plant and Parts Plant.

        Rich

        <richgilbertson@f...> wrote:
        > Richard;
        >
        > You can use 1024k sectors if the drive is a a SCSI 1024K sector
        drive.
        > The format utility that came with the WHT SCSI card had 256k, 512k
        and
        > 1024K formats. I don't see a problem.
        > The partition size on the other hand was more of a problem. By the
        way
        > two SCSI cards can handle 16 Drives and Adaptec makes a SCSI
        splitter box
        > that branches one SCSI ID into 7 more. Last time I saw a used one
        it sold
        > for $350.00 new in 1999.
        >
        > Rich Gilbertson

        For users/owners of TI-99/4A and compatibles everywhere!

      • Rich Gilbertson
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 1, 2003
          Rick;

          That figures...
          But at least I just bought for $99.00 the Microsoft package of Action pack
          with 2003 Server, SQL Server, XP Pro, XP Office, plus tons of other stuff.
          More than 36 CD's. This will keep me busy for awhile.

          Rich

          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 1, 2003
            <richgilbertson@f...> wrote:
            > Don ol buddy;
            >
            > You still working at Cisco? Strange as it might sound I am now
            > the IT Tech at Freightliner Truck Plant and Parts Plant.
            >
            > Rich

            Nope, not working for Cisco any more, left about 3 years ago... I
            started a new company that crashed along with the whole telco sector
            a couple of years back, and since then I've been running my hosting
            business and consulting.Lizard Hill Hosting is the web hosting biz,
            http://www.lizardhill.com . Hosting prices start at $4.95/month...
            several members on the UG have signed up, and can vouch for the
            quality of service.

            Don
          • Gregory McGill
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 1, 2003
              Don's hosting service ROCKS..

              I host my site http://www.arcadeshopper.com there and it works great!

              Greg

              > You still working at Cisco? Strange as it might sound I am now
              > the IT Tech at Freightliner Truck Plant and Parts Plant.
              >
              > Rich

              Nope, not working for Cisco any more, left about 3 years ago... I
              started a new company that crashed along with the whole telco sector
              a couple of years back, and since then I've been running my hosting
              business and consulting.Lizard Hill Hosting is the web hosting biz,
              http://www.lizardhill.com . Hosting prices start at $4.95/month...
              several members on the UG have signed up, and can vouch for the
              quality of service.

              Don
            • Rick
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 1, 2003
                Rich:

                LOL I sure would not want to be your brain for the next 6 months. Given my druthers, I'd rather be learning Unix and its clone Linux. If I recall correctly, Mac OS X is Unix based.

                Rick

                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 2, 2003
                  RICK;

                  Yes OS X is BSD Unix based, and that means 60 percent of the servers today
                  are compatable with this OS. Also it was announced
                  a day or so ago that OS X was the number one Unix based OS on PC's. Lastly
                  if X is ported over to INTEL\AMD PC's this could
                  spell a major problem with Microsofts future in the OS market control.
                  Longhorn will be 3 Years behind X in features and in
                  trends of the market requests. Why do you think a big company like IBM
                  finally gave up on OS2 Warp? Big is slower at following trends, small has
                  quicker turn around revamps. Or as the old saying goes "Commitee will
                  discuss it to death while the indivdual is doing the work."