[ti-99/4a] Atari games on disk

  • tony knerr
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2000
      Someone recently asked me for this information. I thought
      I'd post it here also, for those who may be interested.

      Tony
      knerr@...

      CONVERT ATARI GAMES ON DISK TO RUN WITHOUT SPECIAL LOADER

      by Tony Knerr, 01-26-96.

      Do you have the disk or disks with the Atari games that load
      from Extended Basic? If you do, I'm sure you're not really
      pleased with that loader (it seems to take about an hour and a
      half to load that object code!) Well, hope is in sight, those
      files can be converted rather easily to work from
      Editor/Assembler option 5 or any other similar program image
      loader like FUNNELWEB or XBOPT5. The game files are already in
      program image format, they just don't contain the necessary
      file header information on where to load and where to start
      execution. The loader decides where to load the game and where
      to begin execution. Fortunately the first few bytes of each
      game file are not used by any of the programs and we can change
      them to the necessary file header information. (For those who
      are interested, the first 20 or 30 bytes are the Cartridge
      headers left over from when the games were in Cartridge form.)
      To make the changes use a sector editor or file editor (Disk
      Utilities works real well) to edit the beginning bytes of each
      file as listed in the chart below. You'll find that the files
      usually start with something like AAFF 0000 0000 or AA01 0000
      0000 or AA01 0100 0000. if you see that sort of information,
      you'll know you're at the start of the file. Replace the string
      at the start of the file with the string from the chart, and
      write the sector back to the disk. For two-file games, you need
      to change both files. Please do not use your original disk to
      make the changes, copy the files to another disk and work with
      the copy disk in case you make a mistake! After the changes are
      made, you can load the games from Editor/Assembler option 5 (or
      equivalent) by running the file ending with a 1. For example,
      type "DSK1.DK1" <enter> from the "File Name ?" prompt to run
      "DONKEY KONG" after selecting 5 from the Editor/Assembler menu.
      The games load and run now without the need of the special
      loader. We also have the added bonus in that the games will
      still run from the special loader, the changes do not affect
      the operation of the loader. Happy game playing!

      Game File(s) Patch to Start of File
      ---- ------- ----------------------

      Centipede CP1 0000 1FFA A006 0460 A056

      Dig Dug DD1 FFFF 1FFA A006 0460 C03C

      DD2 0000 1FFA C006

      Defender DF1 0000 1FFA A006 0460 A072

      Donkey Kong DK1 FFFF 1FFA A006 0460 A086

      DK2 0000 0FFA C006

      Jungle Hunt JH1 FFFF 1FFA C006 0460 C020

      JH2 0000 1FF4 E006

      Moon Patrol MP1 FFFF 1FFA C006 0460 C0FE

      MP2 0000 1FF4 E006

      Ms Pacman MS1 FFFF 1FFA C006 0460 E0AE

      MS2 0000 1FF4 E006

      Pacman PM1 FFFF 1FFA A006 0460 A052

      PM2 0000 0FFA C006

      Pole Position PP1 FFFF 1FFA A006 0460 A060

      PP2 0000 1FFA C006

      Protector 2 PT1 FFFF 1FFA C006 0460 DE3A

      PT2 0000 1FF4 E006

      Shamus SH1 FFFF 1FFA A006 0460 CBDA

      SH2 0000 10FA C006
    • Bill R. Sullivan
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2000
        Thanks, Tony. This is, indeed, a very useful capability. Although, I also
        have all of the cartridge versions (physical, GK & HSGPL format disk files)
        of Atari Games (of those that I own), it is more convenient to load them as
        EA opt 5 from RAMDISK or Hard Disk (HFDC or SCSI) than the gram versions.

        Thanks again for making this info available.

        Bill R. Sullivan <fdos@...>

[...]

        Install today:
        http://click.egroups.com/1/2344/3/_/249521/_/954600262/

        -- Create a poll/survey for your group!
        -- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=ti99-4a&m=1

        This email server is running an evaluation copy of the MailShield anti-
        spam software. Please contact your email administrator if you have any
        questions about this message. MailShield product info: www.mailshield.com