Re: [ti-99/4a] Mess and Video - Direction of solution

  • Raphael Nabet
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2003
      >My suspicions is that a video register is being set incorrectly in
      >the first mode or perhaps even the wrong video mode could be
      >referenced and the I command that switches the video mode is fixing
      >the problem somehow. I believe MyArt was "smart enough" to
      >autodetect the file type (High or Low resolution) and switch between
      >the two pictures when loading.

      I do not think that this issue with MyArt is a bug in emulation. MyArt
      seems to load the images at whatever resolution it is currently in. Unless
      someone makes the test on a real Geneve, I will assume it is a bug in MyArt.

      OTOH, you were right with the YAPP bug: YAPP did not load the registers
      correctly. The problem was that the extra vdp ports at >8c04 and >8c06
      were not implemented. One of these port accesses palette, whereas the
      other accesses VDP registers.

      I eventually figured it out because there was another bug in MyWord that
      was less intricate, yet similar to the YAPP bug. This bug showed when the
      load message was displayed: the screen was filled with garbage. When I
      forced the VDP to switch text mode 2, the load message was displayed
      correctly, but MyWord itself did not write VDP registers to enter text mode
      2.

      There was a similar bug in the EVPC card emulation for ti99/4a. The extra
      VDP ports had been initially implemented incorrectly, so I had disabled
      them. I have fixed the initial bug and re-enabled the extra VDP ports.

      YAPP now runs fine under geneve and 99/4a+EVPC. Of course, it is not
      extremely useful on the /4a as mouse is not emulated.

      >I assume you have a 9938 manual available, if not, we can find one
      >for you.

      I use the v38 manual from whtech. It is OK, though it does not seem to be
      always exhaustive. Also, page 62 is missing.

      Thanks again for your assistance. I am starting to understand how helpful
      it is to have commited beta testers.

      Regards,

      Raphael
    • Beery
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2003
        Raphael,

        I do have page 62 of the V9938 manual that contains information on
        HMMM (High-speed move VRAM to VRAM). I can't scan it until I get to
        work tomorrow, but if you will send me your email to bmiller @ ppg .
        com then I will scan and email you a copy.

        Also, a quick question. I noticed last night Greg had compiled a
        newer version of MESS from the CVS page. Is the device emulate
        files "finalized" for disk access? If so, then before I convert too
        many more files and disks, then I will switch to the new format so I
        don't create more work for myself.

        Also, does the CVS page when compiled include the hard drive support
        or is that still being worked on?

        And, THANKS AGAIN for all the efforts you are putting into the
        emulator.

        Beery

      • Raphael Nabet
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2003
          >Also, a quick question. I noticed last night Greg had compiled a
          >newer version of MESS from the CVS page. Is the device emulate
          >files "finalized" for disk access? If so, then before I convert too
          >many more files and disks, then I will switch to the new format so I
          >don't create more work for myself.

          Yes, the v9t9 image format is fully implemented, and I don't intend to
          change the disk image format in a predictable future. (I intend to support
          pc99 format alongside v9t9 format, but v9t9 format will still be supported.)

          >Also, does the CVS page when compiled include the hard drive support
          >or is that still being worked on?

          Hard disk support is enabled. However, you will need a blank hard disk
          image to use it. I have written a program to create such an image: I could
          certainly release it. It will eventually be integrated to imgtool in one
          form or another, but I haven't done so yet.

          Regards,

          Raphael
        • Beery
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 1, 2003
            Raphael,

            If you could email me the tool at beery_asst @ msn.com as this is my
            home email address versus the email I indicated to you a few messages
            back regarding the 9938 page.

            Thanks.