Re: [ti-99/4a] RGB Monitor

  • David S. Brain
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 3, 2002
      Hi,
      Once again, going through old email and came upon this. I used Apples
      for a few years so I know a little.

      The Apple //c (c.1986?) had an RGB output. It was not compatible with
      the Mac, and I don't believe it was compatible with the later model of
      the ][ series. That 16-bit model you're thinking of was the Apple //GS
      (c.1988?), it had a 65816 processor. It could be run in either 8 or
      16-bit mode. In 8-bit mode it was an Apple //e and could run over 90%
      of the earlier software. In 16-bit mode it was a full 16-bit machine
      with a wider address and data bus. It also had RGB output. I have both
      a //c and a //GS and my //GS monitor doesn't work on my //c. Either
      they are not compatible or my //c RGB is broke, don't know which (I only
      paid $1.00 at a hamfest for the //c with everything except a monitor
      including books and software. I looked at it and the seller said $1 for
      everything...I bought it. The //GS I got for $10.00 from a boyscout
      sale. It had everything except for disk drives. I bought a 5 1/4 for $5
      and a 3 1/2 for $10, total for the GS of $25.00)

      I also have several Macs in my collection. My Quadra has an Apple
      monitor, similar to VGA but a different frequency. I also have an
      adapter to convert the Mac output to VGA, which I use on my IIsi. It
      had about 10 slide switches and works well once you get the switches set
      right.

      Davey Brain

      Dan Olson wrote:
      > Well, I don't know if this is going to be of any help, but since you're
      > looking for a responce.....
      >
      > First off, I have no idea what the AVPC card puts out, but I'll assume it
      > is some sort of TI 99xx video chip that uses low frequency RGB (same sort
      > of thing the Geneve uses). The older Apples, the IIc I think and probably
      > most others, used composit as did most computers of the era. They
      > actually came out with a newer Apple in the II series I believe that had a
      > fairly nice RGB video and was around about the time the Mac came out. I
      > tend to think they didn't sell to well, and have idea what sort of video
      > they actually used, other than it was nicer than composit. The earily
      > Macs were those all-in-one boxes and the monitors were built in, so I
      > susect they aren't what you want. The newer ones I believe used an Analog
      > RGB system similar to VGA, but not quite the same frequency. The NEC
      > multisyncs all came with adaptors so they could be used with a Mac though,
      > for what that's worth. Anyone remember what model of Apple (pre-mac) used
      > RGB? They had a 16 bit 6502 compatible CPU, I want to say a 68512 or
      > something...but that's about all I remember.
      >
      > Dan
      >

      > On Mon, 2 Sep 2002 rmcarmany@... wrote:
      >

      >>I've asked before and haven't gotten an answer. Does anyone know if ANY of
      >>the Apple or Macintosh RGB monitors can be used with a TI and AVPC card?
      >>Please respond if you have any information pro or con.
      >>
      >>Bob Carmany

      >>For users/owners of TI-99/4A and compatibles everywhere!

      > For users/owners of TI-99/4A and compatibles everywhere!

    • Dan Olson
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 3, 2002
        I bet it's close to what the various TI RGB boards put out....there can
        only be so many different combinations :)

        Dan

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 3, 2002
          Hey, I'd be happy to try an Apple GS RGB montior on a TI if someone
          wants to give me an RGB card and a cable for my TI, heheheh ;)

          Davey B.

        • Cameron Kaiser
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 3, 2002
            > The Apple //c (c.1986?) had an RGB output. It was not compatible with
            > the Mac, and I don't believe it was compatible with the later model of
            > the ][ series. That 16-bit model you're thinking of was the Apple //GS
            > (c.1988?), it had a 65816 processor. It could be run in either 8 or
            > 16-bit mode. In 8-bit mode it was an Apple //e and could run over 90%
            > of the earlier software. In 16-bit mode it was a full 16-bit machine
            > with a wider address and data bus. It also had RGB output. I have both
            > a //c and a //GS and my //GS monitor doesn't work on my //c. Either

            Continuing the off-topic, are you sure you don't have a IIc+ there? The
            IIc's I've encountered are all composite, but I'm quite sure the IIc+ has
            RGB. It is not the same as the IIgs, correct, and neither will either
            RGB port work with a Mac monitor (or vice versa).

            > I also have several Macs in my collection. My Quadra has an Apple
            > monitor, similar to VGA but a different frequency. I also have an
            > adapter to convert the Mac output to VGA, which I use on my IIsi. It
            > had about 10 slide switches and works well once you get the switches set
            > right.

            For those interested who can't get a Mac connected to a VGA monitor otherwise,
            a lot of these older Macs are sync-on-green and might need a more
            expensive monitor. Cheap multisyncs don't work with my IIsis or IIcis;
            I had to get an NEC Multisync XV15+ that can accept a sync-on-green
            signal. A "real" Apple Multisync 15 won't work with them! :-(

            Anyway, OT off :-)

            -- For every credibility gap, there is a gullibility fill. -- R. Clopton ------
          • Tyler Van Tighem
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 3, 2002
              "David S. Brain" wrote:

              > I have both a //c and a //GS and my //GS monitor doesn't work on my //c.
              > Either they are not compatible or my //c RGB is broke, don't know which.

              The Apple IIc needs a special convertor to use the Apple RGB monitor, as it
              outputs a digital RGB signal. The only other Apple's that could use the monitor
              are the older 68K Mac's and the Laser 128 series (an Apple IIc clone). The
              Laser 128's had a video port identical to the IIgs.

              The Apple RGB Monitor is capable of 15Khz and a resolution of 640x200. So any
              classic computer system that needs a 15Hz monitor can use this along with the
              correct cabling.

              I posted the Tech Specs for the Apple RGB Monitor a while back in the group.

              I recommending finding an older Magnavox or Commodore monitor that has the
              Digital RGB, Analog RGB, and Composite connectors on the back. You could use
              the composite connector on the IIc, until you can build the right cable. Search
              the net as it should be out there.

              My classic collection includes my TI and Geneve along with an Amiga 500, Apple
              IIgs, Laser 128EX, C64, PowerBook Duo 230, and PC System. Just need to replace
              the power supply for the Laser. A few of the systems are packed away due to the
              size of my apartment. Gotta stop collecting these classic systems -- no more
              room!!

              Hope this helps,
              Tyler
            • Susie and Deck
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 11, 2002
                Hi.
                Speaking of RGB monitors, is anyone familier with an Apex AP1020B monitor by
                Epson? I know it is rgb, but will it work with a Geneve, and what are the
                pin assignments or where could I find them. I tried Epson's web site, but
                could not learn anything there.
                Thanks for the help.

                Deck

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/