Réf. : Re : Tierry's IDE Card

  • jean-francois.rossel@laposte.fr
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 3, 2002
      Hello Dan,

      A CPLD is a Complex Programmable Logic Device. It's like au PAL
      (Programmable logic Device), but contain some complex functions, like
      logic array, programmable flip-flops, configurable input/output drivers,
      and so on. A CPLD can replace from 10 to one thousand TTL logic circuits.
      Some CPLD have a RAM (from few bytes to many ko). The major builder are
      Altera, Xilink, Lattice, ...

      A MAX 7064 CPLD contains
      64 flip-flops
      4 programmable logic array
      1250 usable gates
      up to 68 user IO
      170 MHz maximum frequency
      The configuration is stored on an EEPROM, so it can be reprogrammed and
      erased up many times (up to 100 times)

      A CPLD can replaces all the circuits presents on the Thierry's IDE Card,
      except the RAM. For protection, I keep the TTL buffers (244, 245), but
      it's is not necessary. The levels are TTL compatible, and the load of an
      input pin is less than a TTL load (CMOS technology), and can drive 4 to 10
      TTL loads.

      The disadvantage of it, is that it need some software and hardware to
      program it. But for Altera family, the software is free, and the byte
      blaster cable (to connect it on a pc) is very cheap. Go on Altera web
      site, and look !

      Now, I know what does mean "a fairly full plate", and I have also a plate
      very, very full. So, if someone want to help me, he is welcomed.

      > > I am building the Thierry's IDE Card, but with a major difference. I
      am
      > > using an Altera MAX 7064S CPLD. So the board will contain only the bus
      > > buffers (74LS244, LS245), one CPLD, the memory and clock.
      >
      > I'm sorry, but I don't know off hand what that part does. Is it just a
      > generic IDE chip? Is there any reason you're choosing it? (cost or
      > availability??)

      Jean-François ROSSEL, France
      Mail : jean-francois.rossel@...

      ----------

      Post-scriptum La Poste

      Ce message est confidentiel. Sous réserve de tout accord conclu par
      écrit entre vous et La Poste, son contenu ne représente en aucun cas un
      engagement de la part de La Poste. Toute publication, utilisation ou
      diffusion, même partielle, doit être autorisée préalablement. Si vous
      n'êtes pas destinataire de ce message, merci d'en avertir immédiatement
      l'expéditeur.

    • Dan Olson
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 4, 2002
        Thanks for the reply, sounds like a good fit for the IDE card, my only
        concern is that either the code used to program the part might be lost
        over time, or that the part itself will not be produced long term making
        repair difficult. Of course, if the cost is low enough, we could make IDE
        cards by the dozens and have plenty of spairs out there incase anything
        did fail in the future. I assume the DSR would still be in it's own part?
        It would be great to be able to change code by swapping parts or flashing
        an EEPROM or something similar.

        Dan