IUG and Home Computer and history?

  • David S. Brain
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2001
      Hi all,
      Back in the early eighties it seemed that everytime I joined something,
      it went under. Just after I paid for a 2 year subscription to Home
      Computer Magazine (formerly 99er) it seemed to just disappear. The same
      thing happened after I sent in my dues for the 99er International User
      Group. I was just wondering if anyone on here can give me a little
      history on what happened to these two entities. I know I felt really
      POed at losing my hard-earned cash to these groups. I'm especially
      curious about the IUG and Charles LaFara; What happened to them and all
      the programs in the library? Anyone know?

      Davey Brain
    • ben.yates@eds.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2001
        --- In ti99-4a@y..., "David S. Brain" <dsbrain@n...> wrote:
        > Hi all,
        > Back in the early eighties it seemed that everytime I joined
        something,
        > it went under. Just after I paid for a 2 year subscription to Home
        > Computer Magazine (formerly 99er) it seemed to just disappear. The
        same
        > thing happened after I sent in my dues for the 99er International
        User
        > Group. I was just wondering if anyone on here can give me a little
        > history on what happened to these two entities. I know I felt
        really
        > POed at losing my hard-earned cash to these groups. I'm especially
        > curious about the IUG and Charles LaFara; What happened to them
        and all
        > the programs in the library? Anyone know?
        >
        > Davey Brain
        The IUG started losing money, and finally went bankrupt. But the
        library lives on as the "Amnion" library, on Cad's "The Cyc" and may
        also be on the ftp site.
        HCM came back as "Home Computer Journal" for a few issues, then
        disappeared...