Re: [ti-99/4a] John Phillips

  • Andy Frueh
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 2, 2001
      Ask John if he signed any exclusive distribution rights with DataBioTics.
      Owning copyright doesn't mean necessarily that you can elect any or several
      methods of distribution. That's why musical artists sign contracts...they
      own the music, but the record label owns the distribution rights.

      Another sticky copyright issue :)

      Andy

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 2, 2001
        --- In ti99-4a@y..., "Andy Frueh" <andyfrueh@h...> wrote:
        > Ask John if he signed any exclusive distribution rights with
        DataBioTics.
        > Owning copyright doesn't mean necessarily that you can elect any or
        several
        > methods of distribution. That's why musical artists sign
        contracts...they
        > own the music, but the record label owns the distribution rights.

        When these disks were released around 10 years ago, Beery Miller
        wanted to copy them as well. He contacted John Phillips and John
        stated that he could copy them as long as they weren't resold.

        Jon
      • Charles Good
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 2, 2001
          Try jphillips@...

          Charles Good

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 2, 2001
            Granted...all I'm saying is that maybe John forgot he signed an exclusive
            deal. I HOPE not, but if he did, even he has the author may have
            surrendered distribution rights. That's all I'm trying to say :)

            Andy

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 2, 2001
              --- In ti99-4a@y..., "Charles Good" <cgood@n...> wrote:
              > Try jphillips@U...
              >
              > Charles Good

              Bounces.

              :(

              Hey Tom - do you mind if I post the Larry Hoffman->Jon Guidry Soap
              opera on here? Its pretty interesting! :-)

              Jon
            • Yancey B. Jones
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 2, 2001
                I for one would like to see it. I went through something similiar with him
                earlier due to the WHTech CD's. First email that I got from him was a threat
                of legal action. I feel for you because I know how this guy can be.

                -Yancey

                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 2, 2001
                  Okay, here we go again on copyrights. First of all, if anyone releases
                  their product, in this case software, to the public domain, he/she
                  relinquishes all copyright protection. That's why they call it public domain.

                  However, if a product (again software) is not registered as being
                  copyrighted, that means NOTHING! Whether a product (program) is registered
                  or not makes no difference, it is covered by US copyright laws.

                  I am a Certified Software Manager and as part of this certification I am
                  required to understand these things. I also have on the Southwest Ninety
                  Niners User Group web page links to copyright sources. Go to
                  http://www.tom.wills.net/sw99ug/#CopyrightLinks for additional information.

                  Only John Phillips can state for sure if he released his stuff to the
                  public domain, unless someone actually has proof he said it (verbally or in
                  writing).

                  In the meantime, let's drop this subject. This is one that comes up
                  regularly and always gets overheated. Check out the above link if you are
                  really interested in copyrights. In the meantime, until John Phillips comes
                  forth and says otherwise, it would appear his stuff is in the public
                  domain. It is up to him (and him alone!) to refute this impression.

                  Tom

                  At 07:37 PM 7/2/2001, you wrote:
                  >I for one would like to see it. I went through something similiar with him
                  >earlier due to the WHTech CD's. First email that I got from him was a threat
                  >of legal action. I feel for you because I know how this guy can be.
                  >
                  >-Yancey

                  NO!

                • J. Alan Brown
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 2, 2001
                    Try john_m_phillips@...

                    --
                    J. Alan Brown
                    Georgia-Rebel

                    jon@... wrote:

                    > --- In ti99-4a@y..., "Charles Good" <cgood@n...> wrote:
                    > > Try jphillips@U...
                    > >
                    > > Charles Good
                    >
                    > Bounces.
                    >
                    > :(
                    >
                    > Hey Tom - do you mind if I post the Larry Hoffman->Jon Guidry Soap
                    > opera on here? Its pretty interesting! :-)
                    >
                    > Jon
                    >
                    > For users/owners of TI-99/4A and compatibles everywhere!

                  • Brad
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 3, 2001
                      I'm amazed they get any orders when they are both constantly like this...

                      Brad

                    • Jamie@MorganDigital.com
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 3, 2001
                        We should not buy ANYTHING from them, the profits might go to their lawyers!

                        Jamie

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/