Greetings

  • Mike <outsider_promo@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 4, 2003
      I just learned about the thylacine on The Science Channel. I can't
      believe that they have DNA. There is a chance that this animal can
      live once again. Hope this group is still alive.

      Later
    • spider_man121
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 4, 2003
        Hello, welcome to the group! Glad to see a new memeber. Yes, the
        group is still here, or at least, I am! It's been quiet for a while,
        but I'm sure people do keep checking in now and then.

        It is amazing the chance we have with the thylacine pup. Unfortunatly
        the DNA that they get is in peices. To make a clone, you need intact
        DNA. Even though the DNA is there, it's not held together. However,
        they are working on maping out the DNA, figuering out which fragment
        of DNA goes where, and it's hoped someday they'll be able to recreate
        the inter genetic code and clone them!

        --- In thylacinesforever@yahoogroups.com, "Mike
        <outsider_promo@y...>" <outsider_promo@y...> wrote:
        > I just learned about the thylacine on The Science Channel. I can't
        > believe that they have DNA. There is a chance that this animal can
        > live once again. Hope this group is still alive.
        >
        > Later
      • Mike
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 5, 2003
          Yeah, I love what you are doing with this group, I run a few
          myself. Before yesterday, I had no idea what thylacines were. It
          was awesome to see clips of the animal living. When I saw that
          mouth open like that, I was like woah! I was amazed to see how many
          people/groups were against bringing this animal back. It was very
          upsetting. I'll pay close attention to this, and hope they can pull
          this off.

          --- In thylacinesforever@yahoogroups.com, spider_man121
          <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > Hello, welcome to the group! Glad to see a new memeber. Yes, the
          > group is still here, or at least, I am! It's been quiet for a
          while,
          > but I'm sure people do keep checking in now and then.
          >
          > It is amazing the chance we have with the thylacine pup.
          Unfortunatly
          > the DNA that they get is in peices. To make a clone, you need
          intact
          > DNA. Even though the DNA is there, it's not held together.
          However,
          > they are working on maping out the DNA, figuering out which
          fragment
          > of DNA goes where, and it's hoped someday they'll be able to
          recreate
          > the inter genetic code and clone them!
          >

          > --- In thylacinesforever@yahoogroups.com, "Mike
          > <outsider_promo@y...>" <outsider_promo@y...> wrote:
          > > I just learned about the thylacine on The Science Channel. I
          can't
          > > believe that they have DNA. There is a chance that this animal
          can
          > > live once again. Hope this group is still alive.
          > >
          > > Later
        • spider_man121
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 7, 2003
            Oh, and one thing I forgot to mention is that a few years back two
            brothers discovered a new kind of cell in aniaml and human tissue
            that can survive much harsher conditions than normal cells. They
            don't fall apart as easily. It may be possilbe to some of these cells
            are still intact in the preserved thylacine, and if that were the
            case cloning could be done much sooner because the DNA would be
            intact in these cells. However, these cells aren't easy to find.
            Hardly anyone but the brothers who discoverd them even know about
            them, and the cells are much smaller than normal cells. They stay
            dormant in the body till they're needed to repair damaged tissue.
            When this happens they grow and turn into stem cells that repair the
            damage in the body. So it's very hard to find them unless you know
            what you're doing. The brothers who discovered the cells are in the
            middle of moving around, one going to a hospital, the other going who
            knows where, so they can't help right now so as far as I know, the
            thylacine has not be searched for these cells yet.