Re: Dalmo's underhanded friend

  • bcarl001
    Message 1 of 14 , May 3, 2004
      The use of the elbow on overhead throws creates a fast rotational
      spin to the thrown knife. Locking the elbow in an underhand throw
      (like pitching a softball or throwing a bowling ball) gives the knife
      a LOT slower rotation and you can throw a lot farther without hurting
      your shoulder or arm.

      I control the spin pretty much with wrist action. Over and under
      rotations for underhand throws are judged completely opposite from
      overhand throws. If the tip of the knife, on an underhand throw,
      hits the target pointing up then the throw was over rotated. On an
      overhand throw tip up means it was under rotated. Tip down on an
      underhand throw means it was under rotated.

      I don't need to be at a set distance from the target that way. I
      often am able to walk away from the target, spin around from various
      unmeasured distances, and throw the knife underhanded and stick it
      into the target. I find that half spins are a easier to throw than
      single spins, but can do both almost equally well.

      I recently developed a 1 1/2 reverse underhand spin for a 12 foot
      speed draw throw and used it at the PKT tournament in Las Vegas. The
      sheath is fastened to the belt in a horizontal position with the
      knife handle pointing towards the target. You grab the knife handle
      and draw it out like you're going to stab the target, instead you
      whip the knife into a spin. From 12 feet it should do a 1 1/2
      spins. The trick is to really reach your arm out towards the target
      as you let go or you won't have enough spin or power for the knife to
      stick. You can also do a 1/2 spin from 9 feet doing this same draw.

      I've got a few other underhand moves Dalmo but like I said, come to
      Texas and I'll show them to you:-)

      Burl
      --- In thrower@yahoogroups.com, "Dalmo Mariano"
      <redatorfreelancer@y...> wrote:
      > Hi, Burl, I know you are an underhand master, I simply dont know
      how to hold the knife for throwing this way, looks that you cant use
      the elbow.
      > I'll do my best to go to Austin, the problem, to be honest, is
      money, 5 years ago our currency worthed 7/8 of a dollar, now it
      worths 1/3...
      > Brazil is a big country with a very little head...and we have to
      pay the price for the blindness of governments...
      > Anyway, if you can, send me a picture of your grip to dalmo@i... .
      > Nice to talk to you.
      > Dalmo

      eyesighting,
      > but sometimes I have to go to the target and count the steps....
      > > Mainly cause I throw with a lot of different knives, and
      they
      > have different behaviors..
      > > Now I felt less ashamed of steping, knowing that eve a
      champion
      > sometimes have to do it...
      > > Dalmo

      Terms
      > of Service.

      Terms of
      > Service.

      Service.

    • Dalmo Mariano
      Message 2 of 14 , May 3, 2004
        Thanks very much Burl, will try it (and try not to kill myself in the process...).
        As I understood, the knife goes counter-clockwise, right?
        Oh, my underhand friend will come to throw with me today, will show him your post...
        I'm sure he will like it very much...
        Um abraço
        Dalmo

        <redatorfreelancer@y...> wrote:
        > Hi, Burl, I know you are an underhand master, I simply dont know
        how to hold the knife for throwing this way, looks that you cant use
        the elbow.
        > I'll do my best to go to Austin, the problem, to be honest, is
        money, 5 years ago our currency worthed 7/8 of a dollar, now it
        worths 1/3...
        > Brazil is a big country with a very little head...and we have to
        pay the price for the blindness of governments...
        > Anyway, if you can, send me a picture of your grip to dalmo@i... .
        > Nice to talk to you.
        > Dalmo

        Terms