Re: cold steel

  • zer0oblivion
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 1, 2003
      I use a grip with my thumb on the spine of the knife alot and
      I throw with my thumb on the side sometimes, but I prefere to throw
      by the handle and leaf style knives have given my great results so
      far.
      I heard someone say one was broken in half, but was it
      because of a real bad throw? or just alot of use? most of the
      knives I have broken usually break when they floatate and slap and
      crack against a wood target or miss the target from a long range
      and have the knife hit a rock or somthing.
      have fun throwing before the blasted snow comes!
      (ihate snow)
    • Matthew Rapaport
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 1, 2003
        The thumb-on-spine grip is popular with a lot of people. Harry McEvoy
        encouraged it, even to the point of designing his "pro-thrower" model to
        support it from both the blade and handle. The problem with it is that it
        is easy to slip, to push the knife to one side or the other upon release,
        and even a little slip in either direction will change the knife's
        rotation. By contrast, it is much easier to consistently lay the thumb
        along the side of the knife pointing at the point. There isn't as much
        room for variation on release...

        I've broken several CS throwers, generally after long use, and upon a
        really hard slap from long distance. They often make their throwers too
        hard. I've not tried the 14" knives though...

        On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, zer0oblivion wrote:

        > I use a grip with my thumb on the spine of the knife alot and
        > I throw with my thumb on the side sometimes, but I prefere to throw
        > by the handle and leaf style knives have given my great results so
        > far.
        > I heard someone say one was broken in half, but was it
        > because of a real bad throw? or just alot of use? most of the
        > knives I have broken usually break when they floatate and slap and
        > crack against a wood target or miss the target from a long range
        > and have the knife hit a rock or somthing.
        > have fun throwing before the blasted snow comes!
        > (ihate snow)

        mjr@... - have skills, will travel - KD6KVH
        ...the original throwing weapons page...
        matthew http://www.quine.home.sonic.net/thrower.html rapaport
      • brknfthr@aol.com
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 1, 2003
          Well Matthew I have been throwing that way for a long time now and I have
          tried many different styles including the Pinch Grip and the Hammer Grip and
          the conclusion I've come to is that your wrist will or at least is able to
          travel an extra few inches with the Hammer Grip whereas if you have your thumb
          locked on the spine it reduces the amount of movement allowed by your wrist, to me
          this equals less room for error and a more consistant throw.
          This is something that will always be a bone of contention among throwers,
          I will teach people in whatever way is most comfortable for them and produces
          results whatever grip that may be but at the end of the day it really doesn't
          matter as long as your throwing and having fun and stick some with reasonable
          accuracy and consistancy!
          Joe D.
        • micah posada
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 1, 2003
            Hi all,
            I did break a cold steel knife,it was all me a bad throw at
            18ft.Daniel didn`t say anything about how hard these rounds that I
            brought were.We were lucky to stick 3 out of 5 knives.The knife
            caught the edge and snap.
            We also have a new member to the s.d chuckers that would be todd
            abrhams.To be a member you have to beat one of the current chuckers
            in a tournament enviroment,and we have to like you(not sure how todd
            slid past that one).Daniel was nice enough to let todd in the
            group,so the chuckers will be strong in texas.
            Even though I broke a knife I don`t think there is a better
            knife out there on the market.Feel free to come to texas and prove
            me wrong, but there are a few people that threw in redding that
            might agree with me.

            micah posada
          • Neal Krugman
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 1, 2003
              A comment from a Lurker I assume everyone is aware that cold steel is
              more than happy to replace broken knives. They really are a great
              company. sometimes a bit political like there comments in either Blade
              or I believe it is in there new fall catalog. I got both today and
              besides I sure I am totally senile at this point. At Any rate they had
              some less than wonderful comments about a few blade show entrants. But
              I have made purchases from the time they had only one product and they
              sure have stood by there products even when I was wrong (that actually
              happened once) of course it would be better if you did not have to send
              anything back but to be honest this is the first time I have even heard
              of any problems with any of their products. But Hey what do I know .
              Well gents back to lurking you would be surprised what people say when
              they think you're not around

              The Happy Lurker
              aka Neal K.
              micah posada wrote:

              >Hi all,
              > I did break a cold steel knife,it was all me a bad throw at
              >18ft.Daniel didn`t say anything about how hard these rounds that I
              >brought were.We were lucky to stick 3 out of 5 knives.The knife
              >caught the edge and snap.
              > We also have a new member to the s.d chuckers that would be todd
              >abrhams.To be a member you have to beat one of the current chuckers
              >in a tournament enviroment,and we have to like you(not sure how todd
              >slid past that one).Daniel was nice enough to let todd in the
              >group,so the chuckers will be strong in texas.
              > Even though I broke a knife I don`t think there is a better
              >knife out there on the market.Feel free to come to texas and prove
              >me wrong, but there are a few people that threw in redding that
              >might agree with me.
              >

              > micah posada

            • zer0oblivion
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 1, 2003
                i got my 14" pro flight throwers today and they look great, feel
                great, and i cant wait til morning to throw them! they feel a lttle
                thin, but there mass will make up for it. the knives i bought are
                factory seconds because they probably dont make these anymore. i got
                them for about $11.00 each which is awsome but, it says they wont
                replace or refund factory seconds. hopfully cold steel will start
                making them again or they are making more.
              • brknfthr@aol.com
                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 2, 2003
                  I have broken several of the True Flight throwers from cold steel but never
                  any of their other products, the True Flight's in my opinion are as Matthew
                  reported too hard for throwers.
                  I spoke with Lynn Thompson (think that is the correct last name) at the
                  blade show in Atlanta and we spoke about his line of throwers from Cold Steel and
                  he said they would be coming out again, I personally would like to see their
                  14" knives in 3/16" stock and slightly less brittle, I think that would put
                  them at the top of the list for factory throwers.
                  As to whether these throwers lend themselves to be thrown by the blade the
                  answer is yes they throw equally well from blade or handle.
                  As far as coming to Texas and proving you wrong about the knives Micah I'm
                  just hoping to keep up with you and Dano (The Shiv) and Mike and Jim and Pat
                  and Burl and Rick ad infinitum!
                  If Todd throws like you and Dano which I suspect he might to have beaten a
                  fellow member of the S D Chuckers to get in, then Micah please leave him in S
                  D when you come to Texas, I'll have enough competition from one area as it
                  is, and see if you can talk that suave debonair distinguished gentleman that you
                  guy's throw with into coming!!!!!!
                  Joe D.
                • basssledteam
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 16, 2006
                    Just a question. Is cold steel made in taiwan. I got a hawk that I
                    ordered that said it was cold steel and it has taiwan stamped on it. I
                    just didn't know where cold steel was from.

                    Geronimo
                  • david jester
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 16, 2006
                      American tomahawk co [Taiwan] .5pin

                      d.f.jester@... or d.f.jester@...

                    • subotai1215
                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 21, 2006
                        I bought a Norse Hawk from ebay and had the same question. It came
                        with an American Tomahawk Company stamp on it and marked Taiwan. I
                        posted a simular question on the NE Throwers group. I guess there is
                        more than one American Tomahawk Company as well because when I googled
                        it some military style tomahawk came up. No sign of a Norse hawk. For
                        the low price I paid for it I figured what the hell.

                        G.

                        --- In thrower@yahoogroups.com, "basssledteam" <kirkmel@...> wrote:

                        > Just a question. Is cold steel made in taiwan. I got a hawk that I
                        > ordered that said it was cold steel and it has taiwan stamped on
                        it. I
                        > just didn't know where cold steel was from.
                        >
                        > Geronimo

                      • david jester
                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 21, 2006
                          all of the cold steel are American Tomahawk Co. made in Taiwan. the Norse hawk gives you an advantage it will stick at 90 to the target but they are about 1/2 inch too long so cut the bottom off and sharpen the top of the blade . remove the set screw, if you leave it in tight the handles will brake.its better to have the handles fall out on impact than break. i shattered a bunch of handles till Ron Thomas [cross sticks] told me to remove the set screw i will weld up the hole and trim it down.
                          Dave .5pinb

                          d.f.jester@... or d.f.jester@...

                        • subotai1215
                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 21, 2006