Y2K we made it

  • Jason Chasse
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2000
      WE MADE IT THROUGH TO 2000!

      Oh yeah I got to keep it about throwers.
      UMMMM oh yeah! I made a tanto yesterday and I think it would straight throw
      real good from the underhand.
      There all laws followed.
      Hope everyone is all right.
      Jason
    • Reiki
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2000
        > Oh yeah I got to keep it about throwers.
        > UMMMM oh yeah! I made a tanto yesterday and I think it would straight
        throw
        > real good from the underhand.
        > There all laws followed.
        > Hope everyone is all right.
        > Jason

        A REAL tanto or one of the knives that all sorts of people like to call
        tanto? I myself am in the process of making a hira zukuri aikuchi, but I'm
        having some problems with my files wearing down and making nasty gouges,
        I've had to reset the ha-machi several times already, and the distal taper
        is being a serious pain in the butt...but I think it'll work out.

        Shinry´┐Ż
      • TONKASILA@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 1, 2000
          In a message dated 1/1/00 9:41:49 AM Pacific Standard Time, rcmarotz@...
          writes:

          << A REAL tanto or one of the knives that all sorts of people like to call
          tanto? I myself am in the process of making a hira zukuri aikuchi, but I'm
          having some problems with my files wearing down and making nasty gouges,
          I've had to reset the ha-machi several times already, and the distal taper
          is being a serious pain in the butt...but I think it'll work out. >>
          Suggestion one; the Japanese don't use files. They use various grits of
          stones. Suggestion two: A worn file won't gouge, but a dirty, clogged one
          will. Keep a brass file brush on hand.
          Suggestion 3: Wait till you have your blade very close to perfect before you
          make the Hamachi or tape the notch to provide yourself with a guide you won't
          file over. Also The edge notch is a not a must for a tanto or aikuchi. You
          can do the same thing by grinding straight from the tang to seat your habaki.
          The aikuchi often didnt even have a habaki because it doesn't have a tsuba
          so the notch isnt needed at all.
          Suggestion 4: If you really want to throw your tanto. Throw it belly edge
          up from the handle. This brings the orientation of the tip in to line with
          the foreward rotation of an overhand throw which is, of course better than
          any underhand throw. Lee
        • Reiki
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 1, 2000
            yep I knew they didn't use files, they used stones for polishing, I'm simply
            using a file for shaping since I don't have a forge set up, I don't have a
            direct source for tamahagane either, it's not cheap...They also did shaping
            with a tool not unlike a draw knife, to establish the lines cleaner, but I
            don't have a draw knife either (=

            The Aikuchi also would have a habaki since it is what seats it in the saya.
            A lot of aikuchi don't have habaki true, though I was thinking I'd like to
            have one, whether it be a basic copper one or even a wooden one. The
            hamachi isn't absolutely necessary anyways, but in the way I'm making it,
            for a nice flush fit, it's a nice thing to have.

            I don't intend to throw MY tanto, since I'm getting a traditional heat
            treatment done on it by one of the best, and I need to do a polish to bring
            that out, and it would be easy to damage that finish. Unfortunately, I
            cannot afford the traditional stones for togi even though some of the
            synthetic stones from Asahi company are good, toooooo expensive. Then
            there's an uchigumori, which can easily run me 500 bucks, so it adds up.
            Sooo...since this knife isn't going to have hada, I figure it's not vital to
            have a totally traditional polish, will probably go up to 2500 grit SiC
            paper with oil, as was suggested to me. the only things I really have left
            to do are very final stuff for shaping like establishing the mune, then I
            have to chisel my mei.

            For anyone who doesn't know the terminology, you can just ignore this entire
            email or email me personally and I'll be glad to teach ya.

            Robert.
          • Jason Chasse
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 1, 2000
              The draw knife you speak of I believe is called a sen I made something like
              it from a planer blade. They are pretty hard might do the trick.
              Jason
              Oh yeah throwers ummmm ever try the Shirakami throw?
              > yep I knew they didn't use files, they used stones for polishing, I'm
              simply
              > using a file for shaping since I don't have a forge set up, I don't have a
              > direct source for tamahagane either, it's not cheap...They also did
              shaping
              > with a tool not unlike a draw knife, to establish the lines cleaner, but I
              > don't have a draw knife either (=
              >
              > The Aikuchi also would have a habaki since it is what seats it in the
              saya.
              > A lot of aikuchi don't have habaki true, though I was thinking I'd like to
              > have one, whether it be a basic copper one or even a wooden one. The
              > hamachi isn't absolutely necessary anyways, but in the way I'm making it,
              > for a nice flush fit, it's a nice thing to have.
              >
              > I don't intend to throw MY tanto, since I'm getting a traditional heat
              > treatment done on it by one of the best, and I need to do a polish to
              bring
              > that out, and it would be easy to damage that finish. Unfortunately, I
              > cannot afford the traditional stones for togi even though some of the
              > synthetic stones from Asahi company are good, toooooo expensive. Then
              > there's an uchigumori, which can easily run me 500 bucks, so it adds up.
              > Sooo...since this knife isn't going to have hada, I figure it's not vital
              > have a totally traditional polish, will probably go up to 2500 grit SiC
              > paper with oil, as was suggested to me. the only things I really have
              left
              > to do are very final stuff for shaping like establishing the mune, then I
              > have to chisel my mei.
              >
              > For anyone who doesn't know the terminology, you can just ignore this
              entire
              > email or email me personally and I'll be glad to teach ya.
              >
              > Robert.

            • Reiki
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 1, 2000
                yes it's called a Sen...ya nailed it (=

                and yeah...my best throw is that "shirakami" throw, I throw my personal
                spikes with half turns around 15-20 feet without difficulty...