Re: [thrower] event in Germany

  • cgeddes
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
      John,

      I'm sure I'll be my usual self when I start to throw Paco's knife. You
      know, I'll probably miss the entire backstop! Remember, I'm a simple guy
      who only throws simple things!

      Actually, after looking at Christian's photos of "Paco in action" throwing
      his knife I'm sure we'll all have a great time playing with the knife. Paco
      must be a very innovative guy! He'll be fun to meet at a tournament
      sometime.

      See you in Austin at the Central US Championships in December.

      Carl
      San Diego, CA

      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
        I took a look at that "Finger Knife" also. Very innovative! I am guessing
        that there is a relatively low top end for weight and length with which one
        can provide enough "Digital Support". I also have visions of a guy with 4
        of them on each hand doing a Freddy Kruger sort of multiple throw. Scary!
        Lee

        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
          Lee,

          I'll let you play with it in Austin IF it makes it from Europe in time.

          Carl

          PS - I looking for spears:-)

          > I took a look at that "Finger Knife" also. Very innovative! I am
          guessing
          > that there is a relatively low top end for weight and length with which
          one
          > can provide enough "Digital Support". I also have visions of a guy with 4
          > of them on each hand doing a Freddy Kruger sort of multiple throw. Scary!
          > Lee

        • John Bailey
          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
            Carl
            I was planning on bring my Flying Knife to Austin anyway, but I figured two
            would be better then one. Any new throwing knife takes some time to learn,
            but this thing takes more than normal to get the hang of. I have had mine
            for over two months, and still can't get consistent with it. Come to think
            about it. . . . I'm not too contestant with regular throwers either.

          • brknfthr@aol.com
            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
              Hey Lee I had the same thought two hands full of knives on the fingers
              flinging them at something ( may be a flash back to an old martial arts movie
              ) as I seem to recall seeing in a movie once, I will have to check out my
              martial arts movie collection!
              And John you had better try to sell that hooey to some one who will buy it
              or have you forgotten I've been to your house and seen you throw, but after
              reading your post maybe your right your not too contestant!!!
              Joe Darrah
            • d2walks
              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 2, 2002
                --- In thrower@y..., brknfthr@a... wrote:
                > Hey Lee I had the same thought two hands full of knives on the
                fingers
                > flinging them at something ( may be a flash back to an old martial
                arts movie
                > ) as I seem to recall seeing in a movie once, I will have to check
                out my
                > martial arts movie collection!

                Hey Joe, it seems to me that it was in the old Fu Manchu film. Old Fu
                had these really long sharp steel finger nails and when he flicked his
                hand they flew off. Now with this old brain I could be really wrong,
                or else we are beginning to compile the info to write a really up
                scale new throwers movie. Lets see (dark like the crow) fast paced
                like (James Bond) and stepped in mystery like (Fu Manchu) ... our hero
                relies on all sorts of thrown weapons. Huum!
              • Lee Fugatt
                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 2, 2002
                  Joo gize kip joozin dat word. I du nah thin eet minz whah joo thin eet
                  minz.. :-) Lee
                  > Hey Lee I had the same thought two hands full of knives on the fingers
                  > flinging them at something ( may be a flash back to an old martial arts
                  movie
                  > ) as I seem to recall seeing in a movie once, I will have to check out my
                  > martial arts movie collection!
                  > And John you had better try to sell that hooey to some one who will buy
                  it
                  > or have you forgotten I've been to your house and seen you throw, but
                  after
                  > reading your post maybe your right your not too contestant!!!
                  > Joe
                  Darrah

                • Lee Fugatt
                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 2, 2002
                    A great idea! Maybe we could call it "THE POINT MAN" or possibly "EDGE"
                    Like the western pulps. Lee

                    Message 9 of 23 , Oct 2, 2002
                      --- In thrower@y..., "Lee Fugatt" <lpndolfn@c...> wrote:
                      > A great idea! Maybe we could call it "THE POINT MAN" or possibly
                      "EDGE"
                      > Like the western pulps. Lee

                      We would need a name for our film as well as the title hero. Throw
                      finger ... our hero's name could be, Joe Lee.
                    • Ed Sackett
                      Message 10 of 23 , Oct 2, 2002
                        d2walks wrote:

                        > ...we are beginning to compile the info to write a really up
                        > scale new throwers movie. ... our hero
                        > relies on all sorts of thrown weapons. Huum!

                        Some years back, Michele Bustos and I (hello, Michele? is that you?) had a
                        lot of fun with The Apartment of Pain, a proposed TV series about a crime
                        fighter who doesn't like guns. We had him and his sidekick (a glamorous dame,
                        of course) throwing all kinds of everyday objects like coffee makers and
                        garden tools in their never-ending battle with hoodlums. Now I'm going to
                        shut up because I still think it would make a great flick.
                      • ChristianThiel@t-online.de
                        Message 11 of 23 , Oct 2, 2002
                          Hi folks!
                          Thank you for all that encouraging feedback! We really had some fun, and
                          perhaps there will be an European competition in 10 years time or so :-)

                          A few words to the FlyingKnife that Paco Tovar invented:
                          -The center or gravity is exactly at the point where handle and blade
                          meet.
                          -I had my girlfriend tanja try out the knife yesterday, and she threw it
                          correctly _on the first try_! That is in line with experiences on the
                          meeting that inexperienced guys and women in general do best with it.
                          -Carl will hopefully be able to show you the knife. Unfortunately, I
                          don`t know for sure how long a packet takes from Germany to the US.
                          -Perhaps Paco himself will one day fly over and show the knife off, he
                          had some vague plans about it.

                          Christian Thiel
                          --Knifethrowing.info
                        • cgeddes
                          Message 12 of 23 , Oct 2, 2002
                            John,

                            Sounds like my identical problem. We have fun, though!

                          • Matthew Rapaport
                            Message 13 of 23 , Oct 2, 2002
                              The model of the Willy Garvin character (who was the side kick - the good
                              looking guy sidekick) to Modesty Blaise (Peter O'Donnell) comes to mind.
                              Never used a gun. Had a couple of throwing knives up his sleeves, but more
                              importantly, he could use any thrown weapon (was a great scene in one
                              novel with a sling he made out of a girl friend's bikini bottom) and NEVER
                              missed! If I remember correctly, in the first novel, the first thing he
                              ever throws at the bad guys are basically clubs, like a throwing stick,
                              but perhaps more bowling pin shaped.

                              On Wed, 2 Oct 2002, Ed Sackett wrote:

                              > d2walks wrote:
                              >
                              > > ...we are beginning to compile the info to write a really up
                              > > scale new throwers movie. ... our hero
                              > > relies on all sorts of thrown weapons. Huum!
                              >
                              > Some years back, Michele Bustos and I (hello, Michele? is that you?) had a
                              > lot of fun with The Apartment of Pain, a proposed TV series about a crime
                              > fighter who doesn't like guns. We had him and his sidekick (a glamorous dame,
                              > of course) throwing all kinds of everyday objects like coffee makers and
                              > garden tools in their never-ending battle with hoodlums. Now I'm going to
                              > shut up because I still think it would make a great flick.

                              mjr@... - have skills, will travel - KD6KVH
                              ...the original throwing weapons page...
                              matthew http://www.quine.home.sonic.net/thrower.html rapaport
                            • Lee Fugatt
                              Message 14 of 23 , Oct 2, 2002
                                I just remembered a book about a ex Secret Service guy turned spy that was
                                canned because he used a knife to save the President from a shooter. I
                                belive the title was "SPARGO" I can't remember the author but I seem to
                                recall it was a fair book. Lee

                                Message 15 of 23 , Oct 2, 2002
                                  Please tell Paco about the Hurlathon CHristian! I will then get to shake
                                  the dust off of my Spanish. (Porque Espanol fue muy facil para mi pero no
                                  tengo niguno para practicar.) Lee

                                • brknfthr@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Oct 2, 2002
                                    Hey TwoWalks I watched a movie last night that had about 5 bladed weapons
                                    thrown in the first 5 minutes ( Scorpion King ) and I thought this is going
                                    to be a great movie and actually it wasn't bad ( cause it had more throwing
                                    and lots of mayhem ) and I was surprised that The Rock is actually a lot
                                    better actor than I expected him to be.
                                    I will have to check in to the movie you're referring to.

                                    Joe Darrah