tempering D2 steel

  • Jason Chasse
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 1999
      Hi All:
      Does anyone know a simple way to harden and temper D2 steel. Well I think
      that it is D2. I use old planer blades for knives but they are quite hard.
      Jason
    • tommy edge
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 1999
        d-2 is an air hardening steel heat it to 1800* hold for 30 min. cool with a
        175* air blast draw it back at 400* for 1 to 6 hours

        --
        Thank you, Tommy
        I make Knives
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 2, 1999
          In a message dated 12/1/99 4:48:16 PM Pacific Standard Time, jchasse@...
          writes:

          << Does anyone know a simple way to harden and temper D2 steel. Well I think
          that it is D2. I use old planer blades for knives but they are quite hard.
          Jason

          I make skinners from planer blades Jason. You don't have to reharden them to
          draw temper. You just heat with a propane torch until you get a straw color
          then quench. If you are gonna make throwers use a softer steel. I have one
          9 inch thrower I made from a planer blade than wont break but I wouldn't
          guarantee that kind of steel. Lee