Re: New European Standard Knife and Axe Throwing Rules

  • thrower1980
    Message 1 of 10 , May 1, 2010
      Hi Eric,

      thank you very much for doing the conversion! In inches, the measures look quite ugly...

      As many already pointed out, having the markers on the ground is what counts, you don't need to have the numbers in you head.

      Did you find any good ground-marker spikes beside knives?

      Christian
    • brknfthr@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , May 1, 2010
          Hi Christian

          They are very confusing for me at least and I'll have to rely on Speshul Ed having the distances and measurements correct as the NJ Throw will be the first time I have thrown at these new distances, personally I think it just makes it harder for Americans to have to go by Meters/Centimeters especially setting up a range in their yards, I know both of my 300 Foot measuring tapes are in inches.

          As the new Tournament Director for the AKTA (American Knife Throwers Alliance) I have made a few changes regarding distances and knife lengths to make it easier for newcomers and beginners to be able to get some sticks, we are planning our first AKTA Tournament of the year on May 22nd here near Valley Forge PA. and I'm anxious to see what some of the seasoned throwers and experienced throwers think of it.

          We are going to have a bunch of nice prize knives and tomahawks for people and I've been working hard with some help of fellow members to get the new range built and supplied with some nice log rounds.

          Anyway here's wishing all of the clubs and throws much success and a good attendance, I sort of had to do mine at the last minute but if it goes well maybe next year it will be bigger and we'll have more advance notice, what is more critical though is we are going to have some new throwers and we will have some great throwers there as well, I have tried to keep the cost down a bit to only 20.00 and there is room for anyone wishing to camp.

        Joe Darrah
        AKTA
        National Tournament
        Director
      • SpEsHuL eD
        Message 3 of 10 , May 2, 2010
          Hey Christian,

          For my own use I use these 6-8 inch long plastic tent type spikes. They
          have a hook on them if you prefer to string a line but I don't. They
          come in yellow, green, etc. And are a softer plastic so if you hit them
          with the lawn mower....no big deal. They are bright enough to be seen
          quite easily in the lawn. Hammer them in and there ya go :)

          ed

          thrower1980 wrote:
          > Hi Eric,
          >
          > thank you very much for doing the conversion! In inches, the measures look quite ugly...
          >
          > As many already pointed out, having the markers on the ground is what counts, you don't need to have the numbers in you head.
          >
          > Did you find any good ground-marker spikes beside knives?
          >
          > Christian

        • david jester
          Message 4 of 10 , May 3, 2010
            i use pvc pipe a tee or 2 90 degree with a bar across and two spikes on the down side they sit low so you wont cut them off with a mower

            d.f.jester@... halfspinknives@... 1/2 SPIN KNIVES of FLORIDA

            Penny Stock Jumping 2000%
            AwesomePennyStocks.com