Throwing in San Diego-Chapter 1

  • charles fogarty
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2000
      I met with Rich Enright and his friend Bruce Carmichael today.
      They went to do some skeet shooting at 9:00 and we met at the Jasmine, a
      great Chinese restaurant at 11:30 and foundered ourselves and then to Richs
      house in Encinitas Calif.We had a great time with a great variety of things
      to throw.
      We threw lots of knives in sets of 8,mostly Cold Steel and Branton throwers.
      Rich and I had 4 torpedoes between us and we lit up the targets with them.
      The torpedos stick easily from 8 ft and 14 ft and I persist in trying an
      underhand throw from as far as 20 ft with average luck, but it is so much
      easier to throw them underhand. I don't mean easier to stick but easier to
      throw the 2 lb. monsters.
      They wear your arm out overhand but underhand you can just lob them in with
      little effort.
      It is a different throw however and takes getting used to. I'm far from
      having mastered it yet.
      Bruce had a throwing shovel and we had a lot of fun with that. Bruce has it
      totally mastered putting in throw after throw in the bullseye and 2 point
      ring.
      He said it was a different type of throw and it took me 8 throws before I
      had a stick.
      We had 6 hawks between us and we bounced a few of them but we stuck some
      too.
      We threw for about 3 hours and it was great, especially for me because at
      home I am a completly solitary thrower, having noone to throw with.
      It's so much more enjoyable when you have a partner or two.
      My wife and I, our son,daughter inlaw and 2 1/2 year old granddaughter are
      headed for Anaheim and Disneyland tomorrow(Mon) for a few days,then a
      wedding in LA and back again to San Diego next Sunday.
      Next Tuesday (Oct 10th) I have a session setup with Carl Geddes whom I
      haven't met as yet but we're getting together thru the wonders of the
      internet and the hard work and love of knife throwing shown by Matt Rapaport
      and Tim Valentine,unheralded managers of the Throwers List and The Sticking
      Point.
      Retirement is wonderful and am I ever glad I got into knife throwing.
      Talk to you next week
      Chuck

      Chuck Fogarty

      Anyone can be captain