Alamo Throw

  • Michael J Bainton
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 2, 2007
      We now have 32 throwers confirmed to the Alamo throw on the 6th of
      October. Unfortunatly some throwers are strongly objecting to this
      throw being anyhting but a Mountain man throw. My thoughts were to
      expand our horizons to the re-enactors and the SASS people who number
      in the thousands across the US. I set the rules as they exist
      throwing a 14 inch hawk and a Bowie or period knife to honor the men
      who died fighting with these weapons at close quarters,and having a
      12 minute throw to facilitate public interest becouse as we all know
      you can only watch one guy throwing for only so long.We do need to
      show our skill however so i set 4 distances two with the knife and
      two with the hawk. Several throwers have in the past objected to the
      rules and some just flat refuse to throw anyhting but the very short
      hawks that they have been throwing for several years in the Mountain
      man throws. Okay Okay Okay I give up i can tell them to stick it
      where the sun don't shine and undo all the work i have attempted to
      do in the past five years or just give up and Mind my own business
      which is conventional throwing. It was my objective to get all the
      throwers throwing both mountain men and conventional and add a new
      type of throw to attract other people who like to throw knives to
      strengthen our numbers so the guys running the throws don't lose
      there rear ends.
      We will throw the 14 inch hawk this year at the Alamo and a Bowie
      knife or period knife. Next year whoever makes a presentation to the
      Alamo and provides the insurance ( they require 2 Million for all
      spectators, contestants, staff members)and does the logistics of
      getting how ever many throwers they see fit to have can run it and
      throw whatever the hell they please. This year the throw is at 9 a.m.
      in San Antonio on the 6th of October. Whover shows up at nine will be
      included in the throw up to 32 throwers. If less than 32 show up I
      will make up the difference so that the Alamo gets the 3200 dollars i
      told them they would get see you there. We have now four people being
      inducted into the Hall of Fame on Sunday night the seventh of October
      if the accept their nominations and actually show .
      Next year in 2008 there will be a Gold Cup, An IKTHOF World
      Championship Knife Throw and A IKTHOF World Championship Tomahawk
      throw here in Austin using the existing rules of the IKTHOF. As
      pointed rather strongly in the past year I am a conventional thrower
      and will point my future efforts to running the AUSTIN throw in
      October of each year. I still hope to make all the conventional
      throws in 2008. We came a long way in the short time we have been in
      existance but without effort by executive members growth in having
      throws to attract media and new members from different organizations
      and changes to benefit that growth we cannot move forward. That being
      said I hope to see everyone in Austin for the IKTHOF World
      Championships each year. Mike Bainton
    • brknfthr@aol.com
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 2, 2007
        You sound a little stressed Alamo!
        Just tell em "WHATEVER"!!!!
        Give me a call Buddy, your a tough guy to get a hold of!

        BROKENFEATHER

      • Cliff Hill
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 2, 2007
          It seems to me that it is time for throwers to either come together or
          move forward with their own concept of what throwing is.
          Since I started throwing I've always conformed to the rules of the
          director of the throw. All the whining about the rules of the historic
          Alamo Frontiersman throw have me totally confused. When I enter any
          throw my score is dependent upon the rules of the throw and my
          ability. Why is the Frontiersman Throw so different? If I had a throw
          where the winner has to throw three consecutive knives in the bulls
          eye to win who's to say I didn't have a legitimate throw? If the
          problem is that someone has an advantage then think again. I have
          always practiced the throw I was entering. If you don't want to
          practice then don't count on winning no matter what the rules are.
          In my short two years of throwing I have never entered a
          tournament that I did not know what was required of me as a thrower.
          If you think a tournament is geared to a certain type of thrower then
          it is your decision to enter or not. It's simple, just say no!, and
          enter the one you like! As much as I didn't want to say this, it is
          the way I personally feel. awol
          --- In thrower@yahoogroups.com, "Michael J Bainton" <alamomike303@...>

          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 2, 2007
            I have to agree with you Awol, when Little John and Che Che and Nancy and
            myself first spoke with the director of the Alamo we were just thrilled he
            wanted to even entertain the idea of a throw there and now that Mike has done the
            groundwork and it has come to fruition it's his call period!
            It's not a conventional throw and it's not a Mountain Man throw but a bit
            of both, if he had called it a Compass throw (which in essence is what it is)
            maybe some of the Mountain Men wouldn't have balked and if it had been
            called Bullseye Throwing maybe the Conventional Throwers wouldn't feel so
            threatened, Mike simply came up with some new twists on old games and made it a sort
            of level playing field!
            Personally for the honor of throwing on that hallowed ground I don't care
            if we have to stand on our heads and throw between our legs I'M IN, it is an
            HONOR to throw whatever anyone can dream up as far as I'm concerned!!!
            I don't always' see eye to eye with Mike but this seem's fair to me, I
            wouldn't necessarily want to step in there and just throw a regular Mountain Man
            event because then Johnny Poole or Bob Pyle or Moses or Chuck Weems would be
            walking away with the trophy, and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't want to walk
            in their and throw a Conventional Tournament as Mike Bainton or Mike Pearl or
            You would be walking away with the trophy!
            I think what Mike has proposed is fair and equitable and given the
            parameters of the event anyone can win it's not about who win's or who throws what
            we're throwing inside the walls of THE ALAMO I for one am honored to have
            even been considered and even though I'm not going to win I'm going to be there
            throwing and I'm going to be damned proud of it, throw don't throw whatever
            I'll sell off 100 knives to help Mike see this thing through and to do what he
            say's he's going to do and I'll gladly pay for the honor!!!
            That's my 6 or 7 cent's worth!
            Joe Brokenfeather Darrah

          • Kirk Bass
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 2, 2007
              I have to agree. Any time we go to a throw we follow the rules set
              down by the man running the event. If you don't like the rules DON'T
              THROW. Like Joe said its an incredible honor to be given the chance
              for such an event. Those of us who have been asked to participate in
              the throw have had more than enough time to practice with the rules
              and regulations set down. I for one haven't thrown in a mountain man
              tournement, so I wouldn't stand a chance if it were strictly that
              style. With the way Mike has set it up I can go and throw and have
              the same chance as everyone else to not only win but put on a good
              deminstration for those watching.

              So my few cents worth of oppinion is this. Anyone who is planning on
              participating in the Alamo Throw or just going to watch and support
              everyone else needs to put aside all negative thoughts, oppinions or
              feelings and come together to honor those who fought and died. The
              rules and regulations have been set that makes it a not only a
              challenge for everyone but gives no specific style of throwing an
              advantage. This is the first time that any event like this has ever
              happened and I for one would like to thank Mike for all the hard work
              that he has done to make it possible for us to be involved in such a
              historical and monumental event.

              Geronimo Kirk Bass

              ower@yahoogroups.com, brknfthr@... wrote:

              > I have to agree with you Awol, when Little John and Che Che and
              Nancy and
              > myself first spoke with the director of the Alamo we were just
              thrilled he
              > wanted to even entertain the idea of a throw there and now that
              Mike has done the
              > groundwork and it has come to fruition it's his call period!
              > It's not a conventional throw and it's not a Mountain Man throw
              but a bit
              > of both, if he had called it a Compass throw (which in essence is
              what it is)
              > maybe some of the Mountain Men wouldn't have balked and if it had
              been
              > called Bullseye Throwing maybe the Conventional Throwers wouldn't
              feel so
              > threatened, Mike simply came up with some new twists on old games
              and made it a sort
              > of level playing field!
              > Personally for the honor of throwing on that hallowed ground I
              don't care
              > if we have to stand on our heads and throw between our legs I'M IN,
              it is an
              > HONOR to throw whatever anyone can dream up as far as I'm
              concerned!!!
              > I don't always' see eye to eye with Mike but this seem's fair to
              me, I
              > wouldn't necessarily want to step in there and just throw a regular
              Mountain Man
              > event because then Johnny Poole or Bob Pyle or Moses or Chuck Weems
              would be
              > walking away with the trophy, and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't
              want to walk
              > in their and throw a Conventional Tournament as Mike Bainton or
              Mike Pearl or
              > You would be walking away with the trophy!
              > I think what Mike has proposed is fair and equitable and given
              the
              > parameters of the event anyone can win it's not about who win's or
              who throws what
              > we're throwing inside the walls of THE ALAMO I for one am honored
              to have
              > even been considered and even though I'm not going to win I'm going
              to be there
              > throwing and I'm going to be damned proud of it, throw don't throw
              whatever
              > I'll sell off 100 knives to help Mike see this thing through and to
              do what he
              > say's he's going to do and I'll gladly pay for the honor!!!
              > That's my 6 or 7 cent's worth!
              > Joe Brokenfeather Darrah

            • Michael J Bainton
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 2, 2007
                Thanks Joe for the support, and all you said is true. It's not about
                who has the best chance to win. The winner will be the best THROWER
                that day. Mike worked very hard to come up with a contest to challenge
                all throwers, not to favor one type or another, and if anyone doesn't
                want to throw because they think they can't win, then stay home. I'm
                like you Joe, I'll throw spoons at 20 paces if that's the rules. The
                fact is that at the Alamo out of 32 throwers there will only be 1
                winner, and should be 32 proud participants.
                This historic throw is happening only through the efforts of
                several people who love knife throwing. It was conceived and followed
                through by knife throwers for knife throwers and is a group effort for
                the sport of throwing, not a highlight for any certain style of
                throwing or any one thrower, so show up, be proud, and by all means
                bring your A game. Winning will only get you a prize. Participating is
                the real reward!!!!! awol

                --- In thrower@yahoogroups.com, brknfthr@... wrote:

                > I have to agree with you Awol, when Little John and Che Che and
                Nancy and
                > myself first spoke with the director of the Alamo we were just
                thrilled he
                > wanted to even entertain the idea of a throw there and now that Mike
                has done the
                > groundwork and it has come to fruition it's his call period!
                > It's not a conventional throw and it's not a Mountain Man throw
                but a bit
                > of both, if he had called it a Compass throw (which in essence is
                what it is)
                > maybe some of the Mountain Men wouldn't have balked and if it had been
                > called Bullseye Throwing maybe the Conventional Throwers wouldn't
                feel so
                > threatened, Mike simply came up with some new twists on old games
                and made it a sort
                > of level playing field!
                > Personally for the honor of throwing on that hallowed ground I
                don't care
                > if we have to stand on our heads and throw between our legs I'M IN,
                it is an
                > HONOR to throw whatever anyone can dream up as far as I'm concerned!!!
                > I don't always' see eye to eye with Mike but this seem's fair to
                me, I
                > wouldn't necessarily want to step in there and just throw a regular
                Mountain Man
                > event because then Johnny Poole or Bob Pyle or Moses or Chuck Weems
                would be
                > walking away with the trophy, and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't want
                to walk
                > in their and throw a Conventional Tournament as Mike Bainton or
                Mike Pearl or
                > You would be walking away with the trophy!
                > I think what Mike has proposed is fair and equitable and given the
                > parameters of the event anyone can win it's not about who win's or
                who throws what
                > we're throwing inside the walls of THE ALAMO I for one am honored to
                have
                > even been considered and even though I'm not going to win I'm going
                to be there
                > throwing and I'm going to be damned proud of it, throw don't throw
                whatever
                > I'll sell off 100 knives to help Mike see this thing through and to
                do what he
                > say's he's going to do and I'll gladly pay for the honor!!!
                > That's my 6 or 7 cent's worth!
                > Joe Brokenfeather Darrah

              • Michael J Bainton
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 2, 2007
                  I second that motion!!!!! awol

                  --- In thrower@yahoogroups.com, "Kirk Bass" <kirkmel@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > want to walk
                  > > in their and throw a Conventional Tournament as Mike Bainton or
                  > Mike Pearl or
                  > > You would be walking away with the trophy!
                  > > I think what Mike has proposed is fair and equitable and given
                  > the
                  > > parameters of the event anyone can win it's not about who win's or
                  > who throws what
                  > > we're throwing inside the walls of THE ALAMO I for one am honored
                  > to have
                  > > even been considered and even though I'm not going to win I'm going
                  > to be there
                  > > throwing and I'm going to be damned proud of it, throw don't throw
                  > whatever
                  > > I'll sell off 100 knives to help Mike see this thing through and to
                  > do what he
                  > > say's he's going to do and I'll gladly pay for the honor!!!

                • Cliff Hill
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 2, 2007
                    Whoops!!!! My last two posts were under the wrong log in. Don't get
                    confused, awol said that stuff and not Mike! awol

                  • brknfthr@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 3, 2007
                      OK Awol Your on!
                      You and I have a personal throw, spoons at 12' winner is master of the
                      "Known Universe" I'm coming for you!
                      But as for everything else you are correct!
                      Brokenfeather

                    • Michael J Bainton
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 3, 2007
                        I think everyhting is in order today, i spent some time on the phone
                        yesterday and I believe everyone is on the same sheet of music. Change
                        is tough for some people especially when it takes you a little off what
                        your used to. Bottom line is everyone on the list for the Alamo is
                        throwing. I think most of the problems with the hall of fame comes down
                        to to a money issue. So to put everyones mind at ease IF you are
                        nominated for induction into the 2007 Hall of Fame the cost will be
                        10.00. I will try to explain. If you are throwing in the CUSKTC the
                        cost is 90.00 which includes the dinner so if you are nominated the
                        cost will be an extra 10.00. This will ensure your picture and Bio will
                        be read to the Hall of fame attendees and your picture and Bio will be
                        placed in the 2007 Hall of fame wall. I have an artist painting the
                        wall as i write, this will hopefully make our hall of fame even better.
                        If you are not throwing in the CUSKTC the cost of your induction will
                        be 25.00. All guests will pay a fee of 25.00. This will allow us all
                        to go to the banquet without breaking the bank. Plaques will be
                        optional and can be ordered with a check for 75.00 either when you
                        recieve your induction letter or at the banquet. I also would like to
                        say thank you to everyone who supports this throwing extravaganza here
                        in Austin. It is an expensive weekend i know and i appreciate your
                        support. The Gold Cup is a hundred dollar entry fee and only one winner
                        who recieves a 900.00 trophy from spainCourtesy of Bob Carp and a
                        thousand dollars cash.The Alamo throw is 100.00 entry fee and ALL
                        proceeds go to the preservation of the Alamo shrine. The CUSKTC is
                        90.00 entry fee which includes Dinner and 18 prizes 9 for Knife and 9
                        for hawk. So 290.00 to throw in all three and i should also say before
                        i am asked if you decide not to attend the banquet it is STILL 90.00
                        for the CUSKTC. If there was any way to make it cheaper i would do it
                        but you can't have a WORLD class throw with world class distinction for
                        four major wins . Someone is going to be the 2007 Gold Cup champion ,
                        Someone is going to be the winner of the first historic Alamo
                        Frontiersman throw, Someone is going to be the Winner of the CUSKTC
                        expert Hawk Championship and someone is going to be the Winner of the
                        CUSKTC Expert Knife. This someone is going to be working my ass off to
                        win as many of those as i can and i know of a bunch of guys doing the
                        same. Good luck to everyone at Kemasoon's ( Tim Bass )this weekend i
                        predict another new milestone will be made. Right now the top thrower
                        in the country is Mike Pearl with 224 knife and 104 hawk so bring your
                        A game becouse you can bet he will. If i offended anyone yesterday in
                        my posts I apologise. Alamo

                        --- In thrower@yahoogroups.com, brknfthr@... wrote:

                        > OK Awol Your on!
                        > You and I have a personal throw, spoons at 12' winner is master of
                        the
                        > "Known Universe" I'm coming for you!
                        > But as for everything else you are correct!
                        > Brokenfeather

                      • Todd Abrams
                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 3, 2007
                          Sounds like you're having to deal with some real dicks, Alamo. Sorry
                          to hear that. [Please forgive my lack of professionalism in calling
                          the nay-sayers "dicks". I meant to say "myopic shit-for-brains".]

                          Being invited to the most prestigious and historically respectful
                          event I've ever heard of was enough for me. If the rules required
                          that I throw 82" hawks and wear a goddamn tutu I'd have been honored
                          to do so. As it is, I'm gonna be locked in a contract gig, cryin' in
                          my beer that I can't be there with you all.

                          So come on, folks, whoever's givin' the old man grief, grow up and
                          leave the politics and personal agendas at home. Show up and support
                          something that's much bigger and more important than you. The Alamo.

                          Respectfully (unless you don't like what I have to say then go f*ck
                          yourself),

                          Todd Abrams
                          (aka Jack Dagger: The King of Fling)
                          (aka 3speed)

                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 3, 2007
                            Todd
                            Don't worry my friend i can handle to gaff just had a bad day
                            yesterday and be more respectful you little shit.

                            I also fotgot to mention that at the Hall of Fame dinner the 2007
                            Gold Knife award and the Golden Hawk award will be awarded to the top
                            scorer in any three IKTHOF throws in 2007 go to www.ikthof.com to see
                            the standings as they are today. And while i am writing please give
                            old kemasoon a break and tell him if you are going this weekend or
                            not i know from experience he is pulling his hair out right now not
                            knowing if he has five throwers or fifty. Along those lines i will be
                            trying to get a list together of all the throwers that will be
                            entering the Gold Cup, the CUSKTC and we already have the Alamo
                            Frontiersman throw list. I will try to put it together after this
                            weekends throw that Tim Bass has unselfishly jumped in and put on in
                            North Carolina for us. We are also working on getting 18 buckles
                            comparable to the World Championship buckles that the WWAC provided
                            for the CUSKTC i hope we can pull that off . Alamo

                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 3, 2007
                              Sorry.. Lost my head, Coach!

                              -T

                              Message 14 of 18 , Sep 3, 2007
                                LOL your right about that Kemosoon, he's always' looking for an excuse to
                                prance around in that darn thing!

                                Joe D.

                              • david jester
                                Message 15 of 18 , Sep 3, 2007
                                  you look sooooo good in your pink one

                                  d.f.jester@... or d.f.jester@... or halfspinknives@... halfspinknives@... 1/2 SPIN KNIVES of FLORIDA

                                • tbass@adwarchitects.com
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Sep 3, 2007
                                    Todds just upset that he doesn't have an excuse to pull his tutu out again.

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Sep 4, 2007
                                      We all know he doesn't need and excuse. He does it anyway.

                                      Geronimo

                                      --- In thrower@yahoogroups.com, tbass@... wrote:

                                      > Todds just upset that he doesn't have an excuse to pull his tutu
                                      out again.

                                    • Todd Abrams
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Sep 4, 2007
                                        This is all true. I deny nothing. ;)

                                        Jack Dagger - Tutu King and Prancer Around-er