Re: [thrower] post: Vietnam Tomahawk

  • Esmith7051@aol.com
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 1, 2000
      Frank:

      The reason that your handles do not break is because you rarely hit the target. It hard to break a handle when it has a nice soft bed of pine needles or bushes to land in, ha ha. I have not seen you in a while so I could not resist. While you are beating the bushes for your hawks, please see if you can find my knives, I am going broke buying new ones. I think I need bigger targets.

      Eryk
    • Frank V. Rago
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 1, 2000
        Eryk,

        I find it hard to believe that you lose knives, maybe if you are throwing with your feet.  Just for the folks out there I will let them in on something.

        Back in Feb. Allan and I put on a bow building rendezvous and invited everyone.  We had a few gents from Texas who wanted to learn how to throw and we had about 6 different throwers.  Here comes this cocky guy up to the line.  Now Allan and I knew Eryk and thought he was pretty good.  Well I proposed throwing for dollar bills as I usually do and most times I do not get beat and walk away with some extra money.

        Well Eryk walks up to the line and says "triple turn in the bull"  we agree after chuckling and laughing, "yeh right".

        He not only did it once but made a habit of doing it many, many more times.  Lost a few bucks that day and learned a lesson on humility.

        Eryk, you may want to think about making your own throwers, hows that bow coming?

        Talk to you soon,

        Frank

        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 1, 2000
          Frank:

          Thanks for reliving one of my lucky days. Actually, I pay too much for throwers to either me or my wife to loose one. My neighbors stop by from time to time out of curiosity. I teach them to throw but we have a yard rule. You don't leave until I get my knives back. One guy has been beating the bushes for a week. I think I'll let him go home today, he smells kind of ripe.

          I have done some work on the bow with makeshift tools. I need to get ahold of Allen so I can give him his arrows back and he can put me back on track with the stave. We are going on vacation next week, but we definitely need to get together and throw when I get back. I have some new designs from John Bailey that you will love.

          Eryk
        • Craig A Barrett
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 2, 2000
            Eryk,
            On losing your knives...don't feel too bad. I live in an apartment, and I have sheets of plywood up behind and beside my target to keep from punching my knives through the wooden privacy fence (it's old and pretty dry rotted). I don't even dare LOOK at my 'hawk right now! (LOL). Luckily my neighbors are pretty understanding (or to frightened to come outside to say something after a few of my more spectacular misses!). I think I should take up something smaller...blowgun anyone?

            -Craig
            --

            On Tue, 01 Aug 2000 11:51:24
            Esmith7051 wrote:

            Send your favorite photo with any online greeting!
            http://www.whowhere.lycos.com/redirects/americangreetings.rdct
          • Frank V. Rago
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 2, 2000
              I just can not feel bad for Eryk.  Take it from a guy who helped him load his target in the back of his truck, the target took up the whole back of the truck.

              How can you miss that monster target?

              Either your gettin alot of bounce backs or you may need glasses.

            • madinmd@hotmail.com
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 3, 2000
                Lon Chaney (Senior) once made a film in which he played an armless
                knife thrower in a carnival.

                Check it out!
                --------
              • Neal G. Krugman
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 16, 2000
                  Sorry for a brief interruption Frank I read the mail here quite a bit frank. with out much comment. but I have been wanting to ask you something for a long time.I have a good friend here in Chicago who is named Frank Rago. So tell me do you have a clone here in Chicago or perhaps a alter Ego hmmmm. Well I will go back to lurking. Plus I have a ton of knifes on sale at all the auction so I must go retrieve all that money  Yeah Sure!

                                               Stay Well
                                                Neal.
                  "Frank V. Rago" wrote:

                  Tim,

                  >Okay, I see how they break.  I don't do 1/2 turns and although have done 2 turns I just do >not make a habit out of it.  How far away from the
                  >target do you have to be for a triple?  a double for me puts me at the 20 yard mark.

                  Do you mean 20 feet for 2 turns?  **I'm all mixed up.  My distance for a one turn hawk is 7 paces, my pace is very close to 3 feet.  When I throw a double on my hawk I usually add 6 more paces depending on how the arm is holding up for a total of 13 paces @ 3' a pace = 39'.  I think I could cut my distance down drastically if I shortened the handle on the hawk, as I mentioned I hold the hawk at the base of the handle. At the rendezvous, I am always the farthest guy away throwing.  I have not taken first yet but give 2nd and 3rd a workout.  Always seems to be an old buckskinning fart there who can not be beat.  I do 2 turns at 11 paces and 3 turns at 17 paces. Let's see 17 X 30" =
                  about 43 feet I would guess. I don't go any further than this because
                  past 40 feet you can throw the hawk, take off running to the target and
                  get there before the hawk does.

                  >I make my own handles and I know what you mean.
                  >
                  >When you make one of those handles post a pic as I would like to see it.
                  >
                  >FVR

                • Frank V. Rago
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 19, 2000
                    Neal,

                    I know of Frank Rago, my granpop, Frank J. Rago my father (low life), Frank Rago Me, and Frank Rago my half brother from my father with his second wife.  I am 37, my half brother should be in his mid to late 20's.  I could be him if his father lives in Delran NJ.

                    Email my your auction name and I will check out your auctions.

                    Thanks,

                    Frank V. Rago