Folding throwers

  • Hedgewolf71@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2006
      Hi All {:^)

      It's interesting to see this topic come up, because it's been on my mind for
      while. I looked at the Elite II and must say I would never have considered
      it for throwing ! As usual, Joe teaches me to be open minded {:^)

      One thing I thought might make a folding thrower is the butterfly knife. The
      design strikes me as very rugged, with the advantage of even balance and
      simplicity.

      I used to have a lovely one, with a 4" clip point blade and solid, chunky
      grips. I used to use it for stick carving - it suited my large hands, but I
      never tried throwing it. I suppose the more usual, perforated handle types would
      throw better anyway.

      Unfortunately, I lent it to someone and it never came back. Now they've been
      banned here and in Europe, so I can't get a replacement
      }:^(

      So, have you ever thrown one of these things ? What other folders can be
      thrown ? And Joe - what's the smallest thing you've thrown ? {;^)

      Take care, Have fun & Play safe,
      - Tony -

      "Are you the Police?"
      "No Ma'am. We're Musicians."

      _www.myspace.com/hedgewolf_ (http://www.myspace.com/hedgewolf)

    • Chip Taber
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2006
        I throw my Kershaw Vapor II both full spin and ½ spin. If you decide to try
        this, remove each screw individually and put a little LocTite on each screw
        thread, then reinsert them tightly.

        Otherwise you will find yourself tightening the screws until they strip, and
        the knife will start to sound like a baby’s rattle!

        _____

        <http://www.myspace.com/hedgewolf> com/hedgewolf)

      • brknfthr@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 1, 2006
          Hi Tony
          I have thrown Butterfly/Balisong knives and they are not really up to the
          task due mostly to the way they are built as there are only 2 small pins
          holding the blade to the handle, secondly the handless are usually so heavy they
          really throw off the balance.

          Being the sick throwing individual I am I have thrown many folders even
          though some only lasted for 1 throw as I suspected they would, fortunately with
          the modern technology and space age materials and quality craftsmanship we
          see in some of today's folding knives I think there is more of a chance of
          finding one that will last for many throws.

          The problem is that some of the folders that are in consideration for
          being thrown are a bit on the expensive side, the Cold Steel Recon 1 is listing
          for 114.99 on the CS web site while the SOG Pentagon Elite 2 lists for 135.00
          and the Pentagon Elite 1 lists for 110.00.

          While price may be a prohibitive factor in getting one of these and taking
          it out and throwing it I need to know if the knife I carry will hod up under
          adverse conditions, I often carry a Bud Nealy
          (_http://www.budnealyknifemaker.com/_ (http://www.budnealyknifemaker.com/) ) custom made knife and it was a
          little over 300.00 but it has been thrown, likewise I sometimes carry a
          Crawford (_http://www.crawfordknives.com/_ (http://www.crawfordknives.com/) )
          Titanium Sleeve Dagger which also comes with a neck sheath and they list for
          185.00 but it has been thrown many times and I have many other knives that have
          been thrown and abused but you have to know you can count on what you
          carry!!!

          I guess the smallest thing I've ever thrown was a small finishing nail or
          straight pin or maybe a thumb tack, I have also thrown razor blades bothe the
          old style rectangular one's and the trapezoid shaped utility ones and the
          Xacto blades for the hobby knives, some of these I threw on a bet and some just
          to see if I could do it.

          I remember I took some very small Titanium knives I made down to Texas
          with me for one of the Hall Of Fame throws and people were amazed that these
          little 4" knives could be thrown at 12 or 15 feet, I also was out in Mike
          Kolish's Shop in Creede CO. and I was picking up little metal scraps off his floor
          and throwing them behind my back and sticking a log round he had up on the
          wall, this is all fun stuff for me as I enjoy throwing items not really made for
          the task.

          As a prime example I bought a box of what this guy at the flea market told
          me were brick spacers for building chimneys, they were a cool shape and I
          figured for 3.00 for 100 of them I couldn't go wrong, so I brought them home
          and they throw great, I have given more than half of them away but the point is
          you can have fun throwing darn near anything!

          Go to the local flea market or second hand store and don't have a set idea
          of what will throw but what might throw and buy them up, Darning/Knitting
          Needles, Nut Picks, Butter Knives, Forks, Spoons (flatten them with a hammer),
          Fondue Forks or metal Martini Stirrers let your imagination guide you,
          obviously a hardware store will yield even more throwing items, Nails, Screws,
          Screwdrivers, Awl's, Ice Picks, Chisels, Drill Bit's or Drywall Hatchets whatever
          has a point or potential point can be thrown and made to stick, I also buy
          old arrows from the flea markets and use the old glue on hunting tips that are
          pre razor blade and made of sharpened metal, they throw very well!

          Anyway almost anything can be thrown using enough force and the correct
          throwing method, so pick up something unlikely and go throw it and have fun!

          Joe Darrah
          Brokenfeather
          Custom Knives