need a help from my friends...Thanks Ed

  • dalmo mariano da silva junior
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 1, 2006
      Thanks, Ed. I've made some much smaller and they doesnt performed well, down here the good ones (with sharp edges) are forbidden, so I did not have a reference. Now I will try your sizes.
      We are in Mid 'Summer down here, as always the girls are pretty and tan, the beaches are beautifull, only it was Too hot for my taste (around 35 Celsius) I prefer Springtime or Autumn, where you still have a blue sky but a less heating time. I'm missing to talk to you, I'm throwing a lot of hawks, I developed some short handled ones that are a Blast.
      I'm invited for some presentations, and I'm dreaming of having some of you (well, if possible, All of you) for presentations down here. I'm always talking of you American guys for people of Rodeos, I believe a good competition will atract a lot of people!
      Just want them to pay you tickets and hotels, I'm sure you would love to come here.
      Is its snowing yet up there? Down here we have a lot of rain (its a consequence of the hot time) , its a crap cause it turns my background into a swamp, wet knives are Bad to throw...
      Abraço my friend, be well, and thanks
      Dalmo

      Ed <aslow@...> escreveu:

      Hey Dalmo :)

      For me the right size would be about 3 1/2 - 4 1/2 inches across. I've seen
      a few that
      are bigger than but they seemed overly large.

      I hope you are doing well my friend...

      Abraços amigo

      SpEsHuL eD

      At 02:54 PM 2/28/2006 -0300, you wrote:

      >Hi, Amigos, I have to laser cut some knives next week and I would like to
      >cut also some shakans (stars?), I have some drawings but dont know about
      >the right (or the best size).
      > Can you help me?
      > Abraços for all of you ,. Joe D, DPEd, Mike B, Cathy, Linda, and wish
      > my best wishes to Bills Father, I had some experiences of strokes in my
      > familly and usually Nature and Time brings back a lot of patients
      > abbillities, hope this also happens to Mr. Page.
      > DAlmo

      ---------------------------------

    • Mark
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 1, 2006
        Too hot for my taste (around 35 Celsius) I prefer Springtime or
        Autumn, > Dalmo

        Here in Texas today we are at 33 C and it is winter !!
        But tomorrow it could be 1 C .
        Mark
      • dalmo mariano da silva junior
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 1, 2006
          Hi, Mark, How Hot is Texas in Summer? 33 C in winter neither in Recife or Rio de Janeiro...
          Regards
          Dalmo

          Mark <markaro@...> escreveu:
          Too hot for my taste (around 35 Celsius) I prefer Springtime or
          Autumn, > Dalmo

          Here in Texas today we are at 33 C and it is winter !!
          But tomorrow it could be 1 C .
          Mark

          Sport nutrition Self defense Sports nutrition supplement Sport fishing Throwing knives Extreme sports

          ---------------------------------

        • Cathy
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 1, 2006
            Hi, Dalmo ~ are you able to post pictures of them when you get
            finished? I'd love to see how they turn out.

            You mentioned it is about 35 celsius there today - just out of
            curiosity, what is your average (or record) highest temperature for
            summer? This past summer, it reached 120 degrees fahrenheit where I
            live (in the Mojave Desert), and it stayed that way for about 3 days.
            Thankfully, that was out of the norm, and it doesn't do that every
            summer!

            Cathy

            --- In thrower@yahoogroups.com, dalmo mariano da silva junior

            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 1, 2006
              Hi, Amigos, the Carnaval just finished, you can check some videos and pictures in the following links:

              www.http://tv.terra.com.br/home.aspx?channel=852&play=1&contentid=127922
              http://itelefonica.terra.com.br/
              As its in Portuguese, please click on Videos (its the same word as in English, we "copyed"you, and Fotos -means photos or pictures).
              I believe you will enjoy it. Be fast cause its a kind of hot site and will change the links soon.

              About the Shakans or Stars, for sure I will send you the pictures, Cathy.

              And about weather, I live in a Mountain place near São Paulo, Southeast Brazil, where the heat is less strong, even with this advantage, it can go 35 Celsius.
              In Rio de Janeiro I once stood in a summer where things went to 42 Celsius, hot as hell. You can actually Fry an egg in the tarmac, where the temperature goes much higher, as you know.
              Will have to check out to realize how much is 120 farenheit, but I believe its Very hot. Depending on where you are in Brazil, the wind , moisture or absence of it can make things better or worst. Anyway, I prefer something around 30 degrees on sun and 16-18 at night...And I like some winter days around 5 Celsius, good to drink a whine...
              Abraços for you all
              Dalmo

              <redatorfreelancer@...> wrote:

              > Thanks, Ed. I've made some much smaller and they doesnt performed
              well, down here the good ones (with sharp edges) are forbidden, so I
              did not have a reference. Now I will try your sizes.
              > We are in Mid 'Summer down here, as always the girls are pretty
              and tan, the beaches are beautifull, only it was Too hot for my taste
              (around 35 Celsius) I prefer Springtime or Autumn, where you still
              have a blue sky but a less heating time. I'm missing to talk to you,
              I'm throwing a lot of hawks, I developed some short handled ones that
              are a Blast.
              > I'm invited for some presentations, and I'm dreaming of having
              some of you (well, if possible, All of you) for presentations down
              here. I'm always talking of you American guys for people of Rodeos, I
              believe a good competition will atract a lot of people!
              > Just want them to pay you tickets and hotels, I'm sure you would
              love to come here.
              > Is its snowing yet up there? Down here we have a lot of rain (its
              a consequence of the hot time) , its a crap cause it turns my
              background into a swamp, wet knives are Bad to throw...
              > Abraço my friend, be well, and thanks
              > Dalmo

              Sport nutrition Self defense Sports nutrition supplement Sport fishing Throwing knives Extreme sports

              ---------------------------------

            • Richard Hatt

                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 2, 2006
                  Hi, Dick, laser cut is a good , precise and (at least here) not so expensive option.
                  I make the drawings in the Corel Draw, than save them in DXF format and send it to the laser cutting enterprise, along with the steel.
                  The pieces comes perfectly cutted, only with some barbs I have to remove.
                  But as its comp controled, they follow exactly the lines I draw.
                  Regards
                  Dalmo

                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 2, 2006
                        a water jet is best no heat just a wiggly line that needs to be ground off. i am back from the far side spent a few days on the west coast of Fla went to horseshoe beach looked at a condo nice. got some chipper blades from Georgia Pacific lumber they will make some Nice knives. Scott did you get your knife and CD? Dave the x wave 1/2 spin

                        d.f.jester@... or d.f.jester@...

                      • Richard Hatt

                            Message 13 of 20 , Mar 3, 2006
                              laser creates a lot of heat in a small area,NASA says this causes stress fractures in the metal nothing that fly into space is laser cut only water jet. water jet uses ground up rubes in a polymer chain under high pressure to cut the metal its like a water saw not much heat no stress fractures.it is not a smooth cut you still need to dress up the edge it cuts down on the grinding a lot. 1/2 spin

                              d.f.jester@... or d.f.jester@...

                            • brknfthr@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 20 , Mar 4, 2006
                                Hi Dalmo
                                You ask how hot it can get in Texas in the summer, well try imagining
                                taking a leisurely walk on the surface of the Sun, that is how hot it can get!
                                I don't know how to figure what the hell Celcius temp is we use regular
                                temp here in the states unless apparently your An Aussie or Brazilian!
                                The Shakans should be about the sizes Ed said.
                                Joe

                              • brknfthr@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 20 , Mar 4, 2006
                                  Hi Dirk
                                  Plasma cutting will also effect the temper of any steel but cutting it with
                                  a torch will almost certainly ruin any kind of temper that was in the steel.
                                  Of course if you throw pretty straight and don't miss much even non
                                  tempered steel such as that found in Home Depot will hold up pretty well.

                                  Joe D.

                                • brknfthr@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Mar 4, 2006
                                    Hi Dirk
                                    If you send me either drawings or DWG Files some of us on the list here
                                    would be glad to work with you on some designs or whatever.
                                    So Far I have showed Bill Page, Special Ed, !/2 Spin Dave Jester, Gary
                                    Clinkscales and several others how to make knives, and several others on the list
                                    are getting into it, Tim Bass is doing some great designs and has the
                                    capability to do computer modifications to existing designs regarding balance and so
                                    on.
                                    Also another guy who is out here in PA. by the name of John Prosser is
                                    doing a really nice job on some knives and recently finished off the designs I
                                    made for Scott Gracia of the Throwzini Throwers, I'm sure we'll hear more about
                                    him in the future.
                                    If your looking for something one off JB Phipps of Wraith Blades is an
                                    excellent maker of some extremely sharp knives and swords and such.
                                    Anyway you can contact me off the list if you like.

                                    Joe Darrah
                                    BROKENFEATHER
                                    Custom Knives
                                    (Stick With It!)
                                    brknfthr@...

                                  • brknfthr@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Mar 4, 2006
                                      About 2 or 3 bucks, but waterjet is cleaner and doesn't effect the steel
                                      with heat.

                                      Joe

                                    • Richard Hatt