Recommended reading on throwing

  • tykespike01
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 2, 2006
      Well I am about halfway through Harry McEvoys' Knife and Tomahawk
      throwing book and I am thoroughly enjoying it. It does explain a lot to
      me about the history of knife throwing, in particular the fascination
      with the Bowie knife. I could never understand it until I read this
      book.

      I have also got another book by Mr McEvoy, called Knife throwing a
      practical guide, on order and it should be with me soon.

      Plus I have had Blackie Collins' book for some years.

      One of my main inspirations has been Throws DVD.

      Anybody else got any books, videos, DVD's to recommend to me, please ??

      Big John

      ( An inch can make all the difference !!)
    • michael moulder
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 2, 2006
        Hey Big John,

        How's things across the pond? The Harry McEvoy books were my first intro to
        "real" knife throwing and I agree that his books are very interesting. I
        actually found my copy of "a practical guide" at a 2nd hand book store,
        probably my best find there. I don't have the throwdini video yet, but I
        hear good things about it. I have John Baileys videos, he has some good tips
        in there on basic throwing styles and a good cure for "sidearming". John has
        some good deals on knives and axes on his site too so I reccomend checking
        it out at www.throwingknives.com

        Throw to Live, Live to Throw,

        Moon

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 3, 2006
          Hello Moon,

          Things are fine over here except for the bloody cold weather.It is
          curtailing my throwing time.

          Thanks for the reply. When I get a bit of spare cash I'l be ordering
          from JB.

          Just out of interest what is sidearmimg please ??

          Big John

          (An inch can make all the difference !!)-- In

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 3, 2006
            Hey John:

            Basically if your knives stick at an angle like this[ / ][instead of
            straight like this[ l ]your arm is going off to the side instead of straight
            over your shoulder, or you may be crossing your body when you throw. John
            can fix them both. I actually had to start reaching for my right knee (when
            I throw right handed) to kill my tendency to let my hand cross my body while
            throwing... I noticed this also helps with my carry through.

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 4, 2006
              Moon,

              Thanks for that explanation. I had not given the "sidearming " any
              thought at all. I thought you just accepted it as part of throwing.
              That's the problem over here, nobody else to bounce ideas off when
              you are throwing !!

              If I want to improve it looks like I need to have a look at Johns
              films asap.

              Thanks again,

            • brknfthr@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 7, 2006
                Hi Big John
                I have Harry McEvoy's video (available from www.westernstageprops.com) as
                well as John and David's video's and they are all great I think!
                The sound on John's first one isn't the greatest but the content is
                invaluable as far as learning goes, David's is by far one of the best out there to
                date and he's really a top notch thrower.
                There are a few other films which someone was trying to copy for me but I
                am having problems getting them back.
                Michael Janich who is now working for MOD Knives (Master Of Defense) did a
                video called Making it Stick as well as a book on Blowgunning called The
                Breath of Death, along with that is a video by a Russian Martial Artist who does
                some of the same kind of throwing that Mike Janich does, I recommend any and all
                items you can get, Frank Dean also wrote a book on knife throwing and there
                are a few other Martial Art's books on the subject including The Pandata Guide
                to knife throwing by Pat Marinas I think.
                Anyway I just got back from the throw in Atlanta and will be trying to get
                a story to Scott Gracia (Throwzini) for his next news letter, I have to head
                out tonight to FL. for work.
                Joe D.

              • John Taylor
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 7, 2006
                  Joe,

                  Thanks for all that information. I have lots to look at now.

                  brknfthr@... wrote:
[...]

                  Sport nutrition Self defense Sports nutrition supplement Sport fishing Throwing knives Extreme sports