Re: Melissa's RFI re Chakrams

  • John St. John
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2000
      Dear Melissa:

      I share your instinct that chakrams should be useful. About three years
      ago, it occurred to me also that the chakram could allow one to defend him
      or herself with a thrower without the difficulty of throwing knives at
      different distances. (Since we are in the Thrower group, let's not even ask
      why a sane person would have the slightest concern about defending him or
      herself with a throwing weapon.)

      My thought, probably much like yours, was that since Chakram's throw like
      Frisbee's, anyone adept with a Frisbee (myself and most other people born
      between 1945 and 1955) should be able to deploy a Chakram with deadly
      accuracy from day one. Pursuring that thought, two years ago, I ordered
      several Chakrams from Atlanta Cutlery.

      What I found was that our instinct is correct. You can hit reliably and
      VERY hard with one of these things from day one. They throw accurately with
      the ease of a Frisbee, and to achieve that you don't have to practice very
      much, you have to throw them HARDER, because they're so much heavier. To
      me, this definitely beats figuring out, in a street confrontation, whether
      your opponent is 3 or 2 1/2 knife turns away, while preparing to bounce the
      handle of a large Hibben off his jacket and start a real fight.

      Yet I have not relied upon my Chakrams for anything. Why? Well, for one
      thing they come from Atlanta Cutlery without an edge on them. I don't like
      dull edged weapons. True, I could have brought them to a
      knife sharpener who would easily have put a decent edge on them with his
      machinery, even with the round blade. But I didn't.

      My sense is that the Atlanta Cutlery chakram is an excellent and practical
      weapon that is never used because it doesn't fit our preconceived notions of
      an effective self defense weapon. I am quite sure that if a strong young
      male attacker was first noticed by a normally coordinated woman 30 feet
      away, so she had the time to get her hand on a sharpened Chakrams as the
      attacker closed the distance, the Chakram would stop him cold. I mean COLD,
      with huge energy transfer and a ferocious bleedout (if I may speak freely in
      this context).

      I find Jim Keating's thought valuable (www.combattech.com). Jim is
      talended, open-minded, and creative, and therefore often points out defense
      value where others miss it. Mr. Keating calls chakrams "Frisbees from
      Hell," and I think that is apt. A very accurate Frisbee throw is simple
      automatic for many of us. One with a chance to deploy a sharpened Atlanta
      Cutlery chakram in a self-defense situation would probably find that it had
      saved his or her life. Yet I doubt that more than a handful of people in
      the country include the chakram in their defense strategy.

      Should you try the chakram, let us know what you think of it. Having read
      your message and written this reply, I'm going to get mine out of storage
      and take another serious look at them.

      Best wishes.

      John St. John

      "Mine is a high art..."