Re: [thrower] Southern US Knife Throwing Tournament Results

  • Ed
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 1, 2005
      Huge Congrats to all the winners & participants!!!!!

      ohhhh wait a sec -

      Curse you Mike Bainton!! Bwahahaha

      The guy has already started his run for 2005?!?

      I guess I'm gonna have to loose some weight, study up on some of that thar
      happykido
      and aikenkiddo chop soki stuff he knows so I can catch him.

      I hope you all had a great time and it's GREAT seeing so many new names on
      the list
      of competitors. That's what it's all about - bringing more & more to the fold.

      Bill it seems you pulled it off extremely well. A big giant pat on the back
      for you!!
      Job well done. And I told you guys to tie up Bainton and stick him in a
      closet!!!

      d-p-ed

    • Bill Page
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 1, 2005
        Thanks Ed ...wish you could have made it.

        We have some things to do better next year, like finding some knot
        free targets and ALOT more carpet for the flooring (dang knives were
        bouncing all over the place) but I think all in all it was a good
        tournament. I think maybe next year, we're going to hold it outdoors
        if possible.

        I put the Experts (Mike) on the targets with lots of knots but he
        kept sticking anyway. I swear he's like a machine! He and Joe helped
        me alot with my throwing. I learned so much I'm not sure I remember
        it all.

        Mike's definitly getting shoved in a closet next time though..hehehe

        We sure had a hell of alot of fun!
        Bill

        --- In thrower@yahoogroups.com, Ed <aslow@c...> wrote:

        > Huge Congrats to all the winners & participants!!!!!
        >
        > ohhhh wait a sec -
        > Curse you Mike Bainton!! Bwahahaha
        >
        > The guy has already started his run for 2005?!?>
        > I guess I'm gonna have to loose some weight, study up on some of
        that thar happykido and aikenkiddo chop soki stuff he knows so I can
        catch him. I hope you all had a great time and it's GREAT seeing so
        many new names on the list of competitors. That's what it's all
        about - bringing more & more to the fold.
        > Bill it seems you pulled it off extremely well. A big giant pat on
        the back for you!! Job well done. And I told you guys to tie up
        Bainton and stick him in a closet!!!

        > d-p-ed

      • Ed
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 1, 2005
          Yea that Mike is a machine for sure. I was gonna ask him to throw
          blindfolded from now on, but imagine how embarrassing it would be
          if he beat us blind!!

          A bouncing knife can bounce even farther than the distance thrown,
          especially on glances off the round's edge. An overspun knife can do
          some cool tricks in the air as it soars back towards your head :)

          d-p-ed

          At 04:47 PM 3/1/2005 +0000, you wrote:

          >Thanks Ed ...wish you could have made it.
          >
          >We have some things to do better next year, like finding some knot
          >free targets and ALOT more carpet for the flooring (dang knives were
          >bouncing all over the place) but I think all in all it was a good
          >tournament. I think maybe next year, we're going to hold it outdoors
          >if possible.
          >
          >I put the Experts (Mike) on the targets with lots of knots but he
          >kept sticking anyway. I swear he's like a machine! He and Joe helped
          >me alot with my throwing. I learned so much I'm not sure I remember
          >it all.
          >
          >Mike's definitly getting shoved in a closet next time though..hehehe
          >
          >We sure had a hell of alot of fun!
          >Bill

        • knife_whisperer
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 1, 2005
            This is my first reply, so I hope I post correctly. If not, it
            wouldn't be the first time that I've committed operator error.
            Regarding the tournament, I think it went quite well. I never
            imagined I'd have so much fun! I've been kicking myself for not
            staying for the second day. I am hooked and can't wait to compete in
            other tournaments. Bill, you really did have a great turn out, and
            you're right about the nice people and great throwers. I really
            enjoyed meeting everyone. Last week, I was considering taking a week
            off from throwing, but now I can't wait to get back out there.

            Linda

            --- In thrower@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Page" <bowyer38@y...> wrote:

> [...]
            >
            > 2nd Place Alex Applegate
            >
            > 3rd Place Marlin Sims
            >
            > Women's – Expert Division - Knife Throwing
            >
            > 1st Place Linda Brown
            >
            > 2nd Place Laurie Hughes
            >
            > 3rd Place Danielle Moore
            >
            > Women's – Intermediate Division - Knife Throwing
            >
            > 1st Place Sherry Spivey
            >
            > 2nd Place Cheryl Cherowitz
            >
            > Women's - Novice Division - Knife Throwing
            >
            > 1st Place Chanda Dasinger
            >
            > 2nd Place Lisa Morgan
            >
            > 3rd Place Debbie Sutherland
            >
            > Women's – Tomahawk (All Divisions Combined)
            >
            > 1st Place Cheryl Cherowitz
            >
            > 2nd Place Linda Brown
            >
            > 3rd Place Debbie Sutherland
            >
            > Women's – Expert Division - Overall Winner
            >
            > Linda Brown
            >
            > Women's – Intermediate Division – Overall Winner
            >
            > Laurie Hughes
            >
            > Women's – Novice Division - Overall Winner

          • Ed
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 1, 2005
              Hiya Linda,

              I'm going to assume you are Linda Brown current holder of the ladies crown
              in the Southern United States Knife Throwing Championships!!!!

              Congrats on a great competition. LOLOL we got another one hooked now...
              I can feel it from here :))

              d-p-ed

              At 07:22 PM 3/1/2005 +0000, you wrote:

              >This is my first reply, so I hope I post correctly. If not, it
              >wouldn't be the first time that I've committed operator error.
              >Regarding the tournament, I think it went quite well. I never
              >imagined I'd have so much fun! I've been kicking myself for not
              >staying for the second day. I am hooked and can't wait to compete in
              >other tournaments. Bill, you really did have a great turn out, and
              >you're right about the nice people and great throwers. I really
              >enjoyed meeting everyone. Last week, I was considering taking a week
              >off from throwing, but now I can't wait to get back out there.
              >
              >Linda

            • Michael J Bainton
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 1, 2005
                Hi Bill

                I want to thank you for your wonderful tournament. It was well
                organized and well run. You can be extremely proud of your students
                as well as the many guest throwers that you had. Not many people put
                on a first tournament and have 35 throwers show up loaded for bear.
                You and Master Simms were excellent hosts for the tournament and in
                our stay in Montgomery you were the consumate host to all of us . we
                learned a lot from you and your students and I'm sure I can say for
                Smokin Joe, Cross Sticks , Three speed and myself we have a new
                friend and a staunch ally in our mutual quest for the betterment of
                knife throwing and it's different venues. Thanks for being you Bill,
                your students were fantastic and a reflection of the kind of man you
                are. Alamo

              • Linda Brown
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 2, 2005
                  Hi Ed,

                  That would be me. You're so right about me being hooked. We had a couple of days of rain after the tournament, and it was driving me crazy that I couldn't throw. Maybe, I should convert one of the rooms in my house into a short distance throwing room.

                  Linda Brown

                  Ed <aslow@...> wrote:

                  Hiya Linda,

                  I'm going to assume you are Linda Brown current holder of the ladies crown
                  in the Southern United States Knife Throwing Championships!!!!

                  Congrats on a great competition. LOLOL we got another one hooked now...
                  I can feel it from here :))

                  d-p-ed

                  At 07:22 PM 3/1/2005 +0000, you wrote:

                  >This is my first reply, so I hope I post correctly. If not, it
                  >wouldn't be the first time that I've committed operator error.
                  >Regarding the tournament, I think it went quite well. I never
                  >imagined I'd have so much fun! I've been kicking myself for not
                  >staying for the second day. I am hooked and can't wait to compete in
                  >other tournaments. Bill, you really did have a great turn out, and
                  >you're right about the nice people and great throwers. I really
                  >enjoyed meeting everyone. Last week, I was considering taking a week
                  >off from throwing, but now I can't wait to get back out there.
                  >
                  >Linda

                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                • Bill
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 2, 2005
                    Thanks Mike
                    You guys did as much as I did. Like I said I couldn't have done it
                    without your help. I know we have to fix a few things next year but
                    I hope to even have a bigger turn out and an even better tournament
                    in 2006.

                    BTW...I love these Bowies I got from you. I'm going to practice as
                    much as possible between now and your tournament and work on what
                    you and Joe taught me so perhaps you'll see me in the expert
                    division then.

                    Bill

                    --- In thrower@yahoogroups.com, "Michael J Bainton"
                    <alamomike303@y...> wrote:
                    > Hi Bill
                    > I want to thank you for your wonderful tournament. It was well
                    > organized and well run. You can be extremely proud of your
                    students as well as the many guest throwers that you had. Not many
                    people put on a first tournament and have 35 throwers show up loaded
                    for bear. You and Master Sims were excellent hosts for the
                    tournament and in our stay in Montgomery you were the consumate host
                    to all of us . we learned a lot from you and your students and I'm
                    sure I can say for Smokin Joe, Cross Sticks , Three speed and myself
                    we have a new friend and a staunch ally in our mutual quest for the
                    betterment of knife throwing and it's different venues. Thanks for
                    being you Bill, your students were fantastic and a reflection of the
                    kind of man you are. Alamo
                  • Todd Abrams
                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 2, 2005
                      Ed, not only is Linda a champion, but she's a brave target girl
                      extraordinaire! Photos forthcoming from Mr. Bill Page (I was
                      throwing, so I couldn't take the pics myself).

                      Todd

                      --- In thrower@yahoogroups.com, Ed <aslow@c...> wrote:

                      > Hiya Linda,
                      >
                      > I'm going to assume you are Linda Brown current holder of the
                      ladies crown
                      > in the Southern United States Knife Throwing Championships!!!!
                      >
                      > Congrats on a great competition. LOLOL we got another one hooked
                      now...
                      > I can feel it from here :))
                      >
                      > d-p-ed
                    • Linda Brown
                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 2, 2005
                        It was fun! I didn't come down from my adrenaline rush for several hours, though. The photo is awesome! Of course, my friends and co-workers, who weren't already of that opinion, think I'm crazy now.

                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 2, 2005
                          Todd....so you're saying she's crazy too????? hehehe

                          d-p-ed
                          At 06:30 PM 3/2/2005 +0000, you wrote:

                          >Ed, not only is Linda a champion, but she's a brave target girl
                          >extraordinaire! Photos forthcoming from Mr. Bill Page (I was
                          >throwing, so I couldn't take the pics myself).
                          >

                          >Todd

                        • Bill
                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 2, 2005
                            I'm still trying to round up all the photos but there are a couple
                            in the "photos" area under "Bill's Bows". I'll post more as I
                            collect them.
                            Bill

                            Photos forthcoming from Mr. Bill Page (I was throwing, so I
                            couldn't take the pics myself).
                            > >Todd
                          • Ed
                            Message 13 of 18 , Mar 2, 2005
                              Linda....

                              Hallways are perfect for that very thing :))

                              d-p-ed

                              At 05:26 AM 3/2/2005 -0800, you wrote:

                              >Hi Ed,
                              >
                              >That would be me. You're so right about me being hooked. We had a couple
                              >of days of rain after the tournament, and it was driving me crazy that I
                              >couldn't throw. Maybe, I should convert one of the rooms in my house into
                              >a short distance throwing room.
                              >
                              >Linda Brown

                            • Linda Brown
                              Message 14 of 18 , Mar 2, 2005
                                Good idea, but unfortunately, I don't have a hallway. I guess I'll have to learn to throw around corners.

                                Ed <aslow@...> wrote:
                                Linda....

                                Hallways are perfect for that very thing :))

                                d-p-ed

                                At 05:26 AM 3/2/2005 -0800, you wrote:

                                >Hi Ed,
                                >
                                >That would be me. You're so right about me being hooked. We had a couple
                                >of days of rain after the tournament, and it was driving me crazy that I
                                >couldn't throw. Maybe, I should convert one of the rooms in my house into
                                >a short distance throwing room.
                                >
                                >Linda Brown

                                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                              • ---R--->
                                Message 15 of 18 , Mar 4, 2005
                                  Congrats ALAMO!!!!

                                  Nice way to start the new year!
                                • Todd Abrams
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Mar 4, 2005
                                    Awesome! And I know what you mean. The first time somebody threw
                                    knives around me was somethin' to remember. But of course, that was
                                    senor David Adamovich, so it was just a wee bit better than when I
                                    threw around you. Put it this way, the knives were brushing my shirt
                                    as they came sailing into the target. Cool stuff. TGT, you're the
                                    greatest, my friend! Thanks again for the gift of confidence.

                                    Todd

                                    --- In thrower@yahoogroups.com, Linda Brown <knife_whisperer@y...>

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Mar 7, 2005
                                      I appreciate the experience and plan to hang a copy of the photo in
                                      my weapons room. Brushing your shirt? I'll bet you were sweating.
                                      Even though I was reluctant, I don't remember being that scared
                                      during the throwing. It happened so fast, and I guess it was just a
                                      gut feeling that you wouldn't miss. A few weeks ago, Bill leaned on
                                      the target while I threw (from about 8 feet) in order to get me to
                                      focus. It's really strange, but I knew that I wouldn't hit him. He
                                      has created a monster with this tournament. I can't get enough of
                                      knife-throwing and can't wait for another tournament.