Sempai's Log Star Date 06 01 2013

  • enevois@att.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1 12:20 PM
      Today we focused on "definitive movements". The challenge for every exercise today was to move our feet and bodies with purpose, eliminating the 4 to 5 extra steps after our techniques. To accomplish this we began with basic forward ukemi, making sure our legs tucked under our bodies properly, and standing up without putting hands on the ground to push off. I proved this could even be done by an old timer such as myself, let alone by all of their young, agile selves.

      I then followed up with an ushiro exercise, where I make everyone dip their buckets into the water, throw the water over the appropriate shoulder, roll back and hold the position by anchoring the lead foot and squeezing the core muscles and freezing in said position until I tap you to release the hold. Not only do I find this exercise helpful with learning ushiro ukemi properly, I also find in makes them focus on placing their limbs more effectively. It's also a great core strengthener and aids their back's flexibility.

      The second hour was the time to utilize these definitive movements by putting them into motion with irimi techniques. We practiced with irimi gedan and chudan, then with one student in the middle while the line of attackers followed one after the other. The sempai's job was to give a little balance check randomly from the blind side. I also reinforced balance check with the yoga ball, by making sure their stances were solid when the ball is hurled their way and by irimi step out of ball's path when it rolls or is thrown your way.

      All in all, they improved their overall awareness of body placement and learned what the word definitive means.

      Arigato,

      Elisha

      Quote of the day: "Get those hands up! Our faces are way too pretty to get hit! "
    • Shur-Way
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 3 8:25 AM

        Elisha,

        Thanks for your teaching thoughts. I enjoyed reading your process of breaking things down. I know what a medicine ball is but I don’t know what a Yoga ball is.

        ms

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 3 8:53 AM
          Thanks Sempai Mike. The yoga ball is a giant soft bouncy ball used for various yoga exercises. It's soft enough to throw at someone, but large enough to still disrupt improper balance. Plus kids love balls so it makes it fun.

          Elisha

          Sent from my iPad

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 3 9:10 AM

            Ok,

            I guess I can’t use my old bowling ball?

            ms