Thoughts for the Week -- December 7-13, 1998

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 7, 1998

      The Spoken and Written Word

      (Luke 1:1-4; 1 Corinthians 15:1-4; 1 John 1:1-4)

      Do you like to tweak what people say? I do! I even like to tweak what I
      say. I think playing around with words is entertaining and contributes to
      nimbleness of mind. As a simple example, do you know what a decaffeinated
      cow is?

      But don't play around with what the Bible says! That's God's Word!! Though
      I can appreciate the nimble mind that can derive interesting word plays
      from Holy Writ, I don't like such careless handling of divine thought. I
      would give you some examples, but I consider even that irreverent and

      Then there's that old story about a wanna-be preacher who proves he knows
      the Bible cover to cover...by spinning a convoluted story which is a hybrid
      of many Biblical accounts. Talk about hilarious!! And talk about shameless.
      How dare we have so low a view of the Scriptures that we will use them in
      such a debasing manner?!

      The Bible is God's own written Word to us. Shall we use it as entertainment
      fodder? We wouldn't strike from the Bible the truth of Christ's virgin
      birth, so why should we trivialize it with our jokes, word plays and

      Were Jesus here in the flesh, speaking His sublime truth to us, no jokester
      among us would use His words for merriment. Is His written Word somehow
      less sublime? Is His written truth somehow less inspired? Has the Bible
      become just another book to us, so ordinary that we must skim its surface
      for clever nonsense and entertainment? May God in His grace deliver us from
      such a spirit of, of, of...well, how would you finish this sentence?!

      To sharpen our appreciation for God's Word just a little more, let's
      consider a few of its words and expressions. In these limited references
      you will be reminded of just some of the purposes and effects of the Word.

      "...That thou mightest know the certainty of those things, wherein thou
      hast been instructed" (Luke 1:4). Only by the miracle of God's Word can we
      enjoy the certainty of Truth. Without the Bible, how likely is it that you
      would know what you know about God and His ways? Because of the Bible, we
      needn't plunge along blindly with hearsay and imaginings. We certainly have
      certain Truth!

      "...The gospel...wherein ye stand" (1 Corinthians 15:1). Without the power
      of God's Word none of us could stand solidly upon the Rock, Christ Jesus.
      Because of His Word, we also stand complete in Him.

      "...That ye may have fellowship with us: and...with the Father, and with
      his Son Jesus Christ" (1 John 1:1). See that?! God's Word knits us to God
      and to fellow believers! The Holy Scriptures make possible unmatched

      "And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full" (1 John
      1:4). Shall we trade this fullness of joy for vain mirth and merriness?

      Tell others about "Thoughts for the Week" by forwarding
      this one to them! To request this service, simply send
      mailto:thoughts-subscribe@egroups.com a blank note.

      Double-clicking the links here registers votes for the Anabaptists Web Site:

      (at Christians Online Top 30)
      (at Awesome Christian Sites)

      (at Starting Point Hot Sites)

      NOTE: The last link above may be messed up by your email software due to
      length thereof. If it isn't a link from http: through tcfarm.com, then just
      copy and paste it it your Web browser.