What is Humility? (June 5-11, 2000)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4 2:05 PM

      What is humility?
      I just can't seem to think right!

      Most Christians have a healthy regard for humility. After all, God in His
      Word extols and exalts this virtue in language that borders on the
      incredible once you stop and think about it. Just listen to what He has to say!

      "God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble" (1 Peter 5:5, and
      see also James 4:6). Can you imagine getting into a pushing contest with
      God?! The proud do it all the time. The humble, on the other hand, receive
      God's marvellous, matchless, loving grace. Grace -- what it takes to be
      saved and to live successfully for God -- is granted only to humble. Amazing!

      "Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up"
      (James 4:10). How we thrive on recognition. What a blessing when others
      rescue us in our debacles. Such a blessing to have encouragers in our
      violent storms and bleak moments. And who wouldn't want God Himself to lift
      us up? The better question is, Whom does God lift up? The humble!

      The humble are on God's side. Of *course* we Christians will hold humility
      in high regard! At least we do so conceptually. When we must actually
      define or identify humility, especially in ourselves personally and
      individually, we begin to get perplexed and perhaps even uncomfortable.

      Humility is not thinking poorly of yourself. "I'm no good" or "She's a
      better seamstress than I" do not illustrate humility. "I'm all thumbs when
      it comes to singing" may be a great example of a mixed metaphor but not of
      an humble spirit. Humility recognizes one's value, abilities and
      accomplishments: Jesus "thought it not robbery to be equal with God"
      (Philippians 2:6).

      Humility is choosing others first. Humility is the choice to not live a
      self-focused life. Humility is choosing to be consumed with and by the
      well-being of others. Humility is making the above choices when my
      position, abilities, rights and power all entitle and enable me to put
      myself first! Thus humility is a manifestation of strength, not a surrender
      to weakness and inability.

      Have you seen humility this week? I am sure it would be valuable for you
      and your class to highlight examples of this grace. Examples are so much
      more easy to follow than concepts! However, this practical side has a
      rather ticklish element to it: Can we recognize humility in ourselves?

      "Put on therefore . . . humbleness of mind" (Colossians 3:12) and "Be
      clothed with humility" (1 Peter 5:5) both lead me to believe that the
      answer is "yes." Humility is not some mystical grace that is undetectable
      by those who possess it. I believe an humble person can recognize his own
      humility without immediately losing it for having done so! (Just don't go
      around trumpeting your humility. That's playing in the key of *mi*, which
      isn't humility at all.)

      We struggle with our thoughts, especially in this area of humility and
      having the mind of Christ. Squeezing a solution into six lines may not be
      all that difficult, if I let God's Word do the talking. I will limit my
      commentary to underlining. You and God's Spirit take it from there. "Commit
      thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be established" (Proverbs
      16:3). "Bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ"
      (2 Corinthians 10:5). Go in peace; your thinking will catch up with your
      living.

      FREE TAPES!
      http://www.anabaptists.org/freetape.html

      Thanks again for subscribing to this weekly devotional which
      I originally wrote for the youth Sunday School quarterly
      produced by Christian Light Publications.

      These are archived online at
      http://www.anabaptists.org/clp/youth/

      Don't assume your friends are also subscribers. Please tell
      them about this devotional. Better yet, you may even forward
      this one to them.

      They can subscribe at the above URL or by emailing to
      thoughts4week-subscribe@egroups.com

      Thank you!
      Mark Roth

      PS: If you no longer wish to receive these, email
      thoughts4week-unsubscribe@egroups.com

      .