Thoughts for the Week -- March 6-12, 2000

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5, 2000
      This goes out today to 308 subscribers. Thank you!

      The Revealed Wisdom of God
      (1 Corinthians 2)

      Have you ever said, "What a boring speaker"? Or perhaps something like, "I
      don't know why they ordained *him*; he has neither depth nor perception."
      Or how about this one: "I never get anything from his public talks." I have.

      As a public speaker, I want to be interesting and worth listening to. I
      want people to anticipate my talks. I want to be perceptive and practical
      in my presentations. I could go on and on, I suppose, but the point is
      this: It is so easy to miss the real mission and purpose of any Christian
      teacher, preacher, speaker. I can miss it so easily as the speaker...and I
      can miss it so easily as the listener.

      Can you imagine listening to Paul preach? "I...came not with excellency of
      speech or of wisdom.... I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in
      much trembling. And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words
      of man's wisdom...." If a brother spoke publicly like this, we would have
      quite the array of thoughts and attitudes...and comments also, no doubt.
      And they likely would not be all that complimentary and charitable.

      Am *I* being too uncomplimentary and uncharitable here? If so, it is no
      more directed at you than at myself. The fact remains that I believe we
      often want to be entertained in our listening. When was the last time I
      went to a service because I needed nourishment, challenge and correction?
      When was the last time you listened to a preacher because you wanted to
      hear what God had to say? "Last time," indeed!

      Now let's backtrack to the second paragraph so I can ask you this: What
      ought to be the real mission and purpose of any Christian teacher, preacher
      or speaker...and listener? I think our lesson title makes the answer plain.

      KNOW GOD'S WISDOM. That's it! No more; no less. As Paul put it, "Declaring
      unto you the testimony of God."

      When a Christian stands before an audience to preach, teach or otherwise
      speak, he has the holy duty of presenting the revealed wisdom of God. He
      should be concerned with presenting the message in a coherent, interesting,
      compelling way, but that should not be his primary focus. No, I am not
      excusing inadequate preparation or careless presentation. While it is true
      that the vehicle can distract from the message, it is also true that the
      vehicle must never be allowed to become or supplant the message. So,
      speakers, get the Message! And get it well. All other elements of your
      public presentation are secondary.

      When a Christian sits in an audience...it should be to listen for the
      Message from on high. If I as a listener get distracted by the speaker's
      stuttering or lack of polish, that becomes my problem just as much as his.
      If I am turned off by his obvious fear or his dull presentation, his
      "failure" has become my loss...and that's my fault. So, listeners, get the
      Message! And get it well. All else is secondary.

      Please. Thank you. God bless you this week!
      Mark

      Click these!

      Come discuss Christian education and Mennonite curricula in particular:
      http://www.anabaptistbooks.com/bookscgi/webbbs/mennoedu/mennoedu.cgi

      My special Amazon.com connection:
      http://www.anabaptistbooks.com/services/amazon/

      .