Thoughts for the Week -- February 7-13, 2000

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6, 2000

      This goes out today to 229 subscribers. Thank you!

      Ready for Our Lord's Return
      (Matthew 24:45 - 25:13)

      THE DEFINITION OF FAITHFULNESS. Of the billions of people in the roster of
      all human history, *all* have been called by God. But of all those called
      ones, only *few* have been chosen to number among the redeemed. Do you
      belong to both groups, or just to one? Praise God, I belong to both and I
      hope you do also! However, I want me and you to belong to an even more
      exclusive group yet: the faithful. I want us to be among the *fewer* who
      are "called, and chosen, and faithful" (Revelation 17:14).

      What, then, is faithfulness? I'm sure "living for God" would suffice as a
      working definition. In addition to that, though, consider these verse
      fragments (along with their contexts) and listen to what God would say to you:

      "Faithful...keepeth covenant" (Deuteronomy 7:9).

      "Faithful...shall do according to that which is in mine heart and in my
      mind" (1 Samuel 2:35).

      "Faithful...refresheth the soul of his masters" (Proverbs 25:13).

      "Faithful...whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing" (Matthew
      24:45,46).

      God requires of His stewards that they be found faithful. Therefore,
      faithfulness must be one of the goals and driving forces in my life.

      THE MEASURE OF FAITHFULNESS. Setting the standard for faithfulness falls
      within the sole providence of God Himself and alone. As the unchallenged
      definer and rewarder of faithfulness, only God can establish the standard.
      And praise Him, He has graciously and mercifully made that measure known to
      us!

      In the Scriptures we not only find the revelation of God Himself, we find
      the revelation of the standard of faithfulness. Ultimately, there is no
      difference between these two revelations, for the very essence of
      faithfulness is godliness. No wonder one of the names and adjectives for
      God is Faithful!

      Do you want to be faithful? Then you must know the standard and the
      Standard. In the standard you will find the goal, and in the Standard you
      will find the grace to strive for and achieve that goal.

      THE REWARD FOR FAITHFULNESS. If it were up to me, I would say something
      "noble" like, "Faithfulness is its own reward. To have known God is reward
      sufficient. I need no further reward and prize than these." But the reward
      isn't up to me, and the Rewarder has said: "Well done, thou good and
      faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make
      thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord." (Matthew
      25:21). So, my friend, let us be faithful unto death; a crown awaits us
      (Revelation 2:10)!

      Please. Thank you. God bless you this week!
      Mark

      Click these!

      Come discuss Christian education and Mennonite curricula in particular:
      http://www.anabaptistbooks.com/bookscgi/webbbs/mennoedu/mennoedu.cgi

      My Amazon.com connection:
      http://www.anabaptistbooks.com/services/amazon/

      .