[thoughts] Safeguarding Moral Purity (September 28 - October 4, 2009)

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2009

      SAFEGUARDING MORAL PURITY
      (Proverbs 5:15-18; 6:23-35)

      INTRODUCTORY QUESTIONS TO CHEW

      Which of the Ten Commandments apply here?

      What should our response be to another's beauty?

      Do I ever act like the answer to verses 27 and 28 is "Yes"?

      How does adultery -- physical or mental -- reveal a lack of understanding?

      Has my moral standard and sensitivity trended downward with the culture's?

      HELP FROM ABOVE

      Whether or not I want to safeguard my own moral purity, God wants me to.
      So He provides me with instructions and commandments designed to keep me
      away from any woman not my wife.

      "Drink waters out of thine own cistern" (Proverbs 5:15). If she isn't
      mine, I shouldn't take from her any satisfaction of any sexual need or
      desire.

      "Rejoice with the wife of thy youth" (Proverbs 5:18). If she isn't my
      wife, she isn't mine to enjoy in any sensual way.

      "For the commandment is a lamp...To keep thee from...a strange woman"
      (Proverbs 6:23,24). When I focus on and live by God's ways and
      instructions, no other woman will draw me away from my wife.

      "Lust not after her beauty in thine heart" (Proverbs 6:25). Just because
      she is attractive in body or character is no reason to desire her for myself.

      "But whoso committeth adultery with a woman lacketh understanding: he that
      doeth it destroyeth his own soul" (Proverbs 6:32). No pleasure and no person
      is worth that price!

      I *THOUGHT* IT; I'M GUILTY; I JUST AS WELL *DO* IT.

      (originally written in late 1999)

      In Matthew 5:28, Jesus discloses how serious God is about immorality:
      "But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after
      her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart." When it
      comes to sexual purity, God sets the standard very high. Even a lustful
      look ranks as adultery. God sees and judges our spiritual activity just
      as tangibly as we see and judge our own physical activity. Where we
      would draw a line between the spiritual and the physical, God says no
      distinction exists in terms of accountability.

      Unfortunately, the Deceiver has used this verse to lead countless
      people further into sin. The lie goes something like this: "Since you
      are already guilty of adultery for merely looking and thinking, what
      further difference will it make if you go further by acting? If you are
      already guilty anyway, you just as well get some further fun out of
      it. Not doing it will not make you any less guilty." Such logic seems
      reasonable and even difficult to refute. What would you say to defeat
      such a lie? Here are some suggestions:

      Your deeds affect other people much more directly. Had David not
      compounded his sin by acting on his lustful thoughts, Bathsheba,
      Uriah, the whole nation of Israel and David's own family would not
      have suffered the effects they did. How can we possibly believe the
      Devil, then, when he assures us that we just as well sin physically
      since we're already judged guilty for our spiritual sin? He's a liar,
      I'm telling you!

      Your deeds add more sin to the record. OK, so David looked where
      he shouldn't have and he thought what he shouldn't have. We can
      total two sins there, to keep it simple. So far so bad. Then he sends
      for Bathsheba. This is getting worse; add another sin. Then comes
      the adultery. Add yet another sin. Could it possibly get worse? It
      did! Somehow the Devil gets many folks to believe that one plus one
      plus one plus one will equal no more than the first one. He's a liar,
      I'm telling you!

      Your deeds bring more bondage and accountability. Suppose David
      had gone no further than his lustful looking and thinking. That alone
      could have kept him in mental and spiritual bondage. But he would
      have been accountable only for that. Following through with the
      actual adulterous deed, put him further into bondage and led to
      greater and greater accountability. Yet the Devil would have us
      believe that looking, thinking and doing are really no different no
      matter what. He's a liar, I'm telling you!

      Your deeds affect your testimony more directly. David's lustful
      thoughts were known only to him and to God. That alone is enough.
      But at least no one else knew and would know that the man after
      God's own heart had sinned in this fashion. His deeds first tainted
      his testimony before those in the palace, and then with his general,
      and from there it spread further. How can we possibly believe that
      acting on the sin of our hearts makes no further difference?! The
      Devil is a liar, I'm telling you!