[thoughts] Profiting from Instruction (August 31 - September 6, 2009)

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 5, 2009
      Instructions are not for robots.
      The instruction of wisdom trains the heart and directs the life.
      One of the distinguishing characteristics of the wise person is an
      openness to instruction.

      PROFITING FROM INSTRUCTION
      (Proverbs 1:1-9, 20-23; 8:33-36)

      INTRODUCTORY QUESTIONS TO CHEW

      What profit can I earn from receiving instruction?

      Have I become so wise that I need not listen to another's instruction?

      I have knowledge; on what foundation shall I build with it?

      What develops beauty in my character?

      Is there anything that would cause me to turn *from* wisdom's reproof?

      How may I win God's favor?

      FOLLOW-UP TO THE QUESTIONS

      Instructions are not for robots. The instruction of wisdom trains the heart
      and directs the life. This instruction allows her recipient to cast off the
      chains of simplicity, foolishness, and ignorance.

      One of the distinguishing characteristics of the wise person is an
      openness to instruction. When I think myself beyond the need to listen
      to another instruction, I am declaring myself unteachable as well as
      satisfied with the certain level of ignorance. We always have room (and
      need) for further instruction and wisdom.

      The best, most sure foundation for knowledge is a right concept of and
      a right relationship with God. Knowledge unshackled from the fear of the
      Lord is a catastrophe in the making.

      God-oriented obedience and submission are jewels of grace to those who
      hear and latch onto godly instruction. Proverbs 4:9 makes this promise
      to those who pursue after and lay hold of wisdom: "She shall give to
      thine head an ornament of grace: a crown of glory shall she deliver to thee."

      When I am on the wrong track, wisdom will call after me to turn back
      *toward* her. Why would I ever choose not to respond correctly to that?
      Stubbornness. Dullness of hearing. Rebellion. Carelessness. Those four
      are bad enough; there surely are other reasons. Here's one more than
      really pricks my sensibilities: the messenger. Yeah, the messenger. If I
      don't like the one bearing the message of reproof, or if I don't like his
      attitude or his hypocrisy, I too easily reject wisdom's message. (But I
      don't think of it that way, of course.)

      To win God's favor, find wisdom. "For whoso findeth me findeth life,
      and shall obtain favour of the LORD" (Proverbs 8:35).