[thoughts] The Dreadful Cost of Rebellion (August 3-9, 2009)

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 6, 2009

      (Numbers 13:30 - 14:12)

      "We are well able to overcome it" -- How may I be a better encourager?

      "We were in our own sight" -- What can I do to improve another's focus
      (or my own!)?

      "And wherefore hath the LORD brought us unto this land?" -- How
      ungrateful am I toward God?

      "Let us return into Egypt" -- What effect does rebellious peer pressure
      have on me?

      "If the LORD delight in us" -- How do I delight God?

      "How long will it be ere they believe me?" -- Might God so lament about *me*?

      (original version written in mid-1993)

      God had promised Israel a land flowing with milk and honey. They had
      been through a lot; could it possibly be that they were now finally on its
      borders? The spies testified of the land they had toured, "Surely it
      floweth with milk and honey." They had virtually arrived at the land of
      promise. The dreams and hopes of generations were on the threshold of

      And the majority chose to back away from the threshold! Imagine! They
      refused to possess what they had earnestly desired for so long. Why?
      Rebellion. Yes, *rebellion*! The primary issue was not fear, although
      that certainly was a factor in the Israelites' response. The Israelites were
      just outright refusing to do God's bidding; they were deliberately
      despising God's power, God's word, and God's gift.

      Caleb didn't say, "Let us go up at once, and see if we can possess it."
      No, this man firmly believed that with God at their side they could ably
      overcome and possess this Promised Land. I am sure he recognized
      Israel's limitations against these Canaanites, but that was not a matter to
      be considered since Israel's God knew no limitations against the
      Canaanites. But the majority could see only their apparent impotence, and
      refused to move ahead. And with two exceptions, that entire generation
      had to leave their bones in the wilderness and the hopes and dreams of
      Israel had to be extended through yet one more generation. What a waste,
      a needless, tragic waste!

      Joshua and Caleb stood up to a desperate, despairing mob. They were
      vastly outnumbered. And they almost died under a barrage of stones for
      their obedience, faith, and courage. But they stood fast for God, and God
      stood for them. And when the time at last came, forty years late, to
      conquer the land, they were the sole, surviving Patriarchs at the head of
      the mighty Jewish nation.

      (original version written in mid-1993)

      Of what were these amazing men made? The answer is not found in their
      personality nor in their physique. I doubt whether they were
      extraordinarily stubborn or unusually muscular. Sure, Joshua was Israel's
      top general, but that should have only made him aware of their military
      inferiority. So, what *were* these men made of? Well, that is entirely the
      wrong question! What did these men *have*? That is the real question,
      and the answer has already been given: obedience, faith, courage. They
      were unflinchingly committed to God and His plans. To them, God's
      promises were a done deal. They saw their duty as simply following
      through and accepting the inevitable: victory and possession. With all
      that in them, standing for God was the only natural thing to do. Backing
      down against overwhelming opposition was unthinkable.

      What do *you* have? The church is not in critical need of physical
      strength, intellectual brilliance or blind mule-headedness. And God isn't
      looking for these traits either. In the face of massive apostasy and
      end-time rebellion, God and His church need men and women (young or
      otherwise) who will plant their feet solidly and immovably on the Rock.
      This generation needs individuals who will live and carry forth God's
      message and plan without regard to the stones. Let us develop our
      commitment, obedience, faith, and courage. Stand for the Truth; never
      sell out! We can live with or die by the stones as long as we are founded
      on the Rock.

      Thanks for being a subscriber to "Thoughts for the Week"!