[thoughts] Consecrated to God's Service (July 13-19, 2009)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 14, 2009

      CONSECRATED TO GOD'S SERVICE
      (Romans 6:11-23)

      INTRODUCTORY QUESTIONS TO CHEW

      "Likewise reckon..." -- how do I go about doing this today?

      Is there any sin I'm allowing to dominate my thinking and doing?

      Whose servant am I?

      And with what kind of passion and energy?

      What fruit am I bearing?

      WHAT IF YOU WEREN'T A CHRISTIAN?

      (originally written in mid-1992)

      If you were a non-Christian, how would you live your life? I would
      throw myself into sin and the world with a passion. Let me list a few
      things I would do:
      * join the United States Air Force
      * write a novel
      * become a chess grandmaster
      * buy a Corvette, a Gold Wing motorcycle, and a speed boat
      * design and build my own house
      * play the lottery
      * seduce a few women
      * learn karate
      * invest in gold
      * travel for the sake of seeing new places and people
      * subscribe to Penthouse or Playboy
      * co-syndicate with Rush Limbaugh!

      Are you aghast? Maybe you cringe that I would even do some of these
      things. (Please understand, these are not things I wish I could do!)
      Maybe you simply don't like some of the items I put down because you
      don't see why a Christian can't do them also. Whatever. All I am saying
      is that the twelve items above would be things I would do (if I could)
      were I not a Christian.

      But praise God, I am *not* a non-Christian!! I have no intentions of
      doing any of the above. I would stoop to none of them. My purpose is
      to live for the King and the Kingdom. I cannot see any of the above
      fitting into such a purpose in my life. Is my flesh dead to all these
      things? Likely to some, surely not to others. But what difference does it
      make whether it is or isn't? Notice these verses:

      "...How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?" (Romans 6:2).

      "There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ
      Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit" (Romans 8:1).

      "For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they
      that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit" (Romans 8:5).

      "Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the
      flesh. For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the
      Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live" (Romans 8:12-13).

      "This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the
      flesh" (Galatians 5:16).

      I would guess that you would also answer that first question as I did --
      you would just let yourself go. Your specifics would differ from mine,
      but you would throw yourself into your choices with a passion.

      My friend, I challenge you to set Kingdom values in your life. Determine
      what you want to accomplish for Christ and the Church. Then throw
      your life into it with a passion! The Bible also says that:

      "...As ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to
      iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members servants to
      righteousness unto holiness" (Romans 6:19).

      HOW DO I *NOT* LIVE FOR MYSELF ANY LONGER?

      (originally written early 2004)

      The first step, of course, is to surrender to Jesus as Lord and Savior,
      confessing your sin to Him in full repentance and acceptance of His
      death for you. In doing so, you also believe that "they which live should
      not henceforth live unto themselves" (2 Corinthians 5:15). Hence the
      question -- How do I *not* live for myself any longer?

      The short answer really is quite short: Live for Jesus! The following
      verses bring out difference facets of the diamond of Christian living.

      "For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they
      that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit...to be spiritually minded
      is life and peace" (Romans 8:5,6).

      "What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost
      which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For
      ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in
      your spirit, which are God's" (1 Corinthians 6:19,20).

      "I am crucified with Christ...Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now
      live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and
      gave himself for me" (Galatians 2:20).

      "If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above,
      where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God" (Colossians 3:1).

      "Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto
      sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead,
      and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God" (Romans 6:13).

      "I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present
      your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your
      reasonable service" (Romans 12:1).

      "And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord
      Jesus..." (Colossians 3:17).

      "But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of
      conversation" (1 Peter 1:15).

      "Now the God of peace...Make you perfect in every good work to do his
      will, working in you that which is wellpleasing in his sight, through
      Jesus Christ" (Hebrews 13:20,21).

      "For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good
      pleasure" (Philippians 2:13).

      Ways in which you may help support "Thoughts for the Week"

      Have you looked recently at my used books for sale?
      http://www.anabaptistbooks.com/services/used.html

      Please rate this Ezine at the Cumuli Ezine Finder
      http://www.cumuli.com/ezines/ra20854.rate