[thoughts] The Call to Separation (June 1-7, 2009)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 6, 2009

      THE CALL TO SEPARATION
      (Exodus 3:1-15)

      INTRODUCTORY QUESTIONS TO CHEW

      How inquisitive am I about the mysteries of God?

      At what point does God's presence make something holy?

      How does it matter to me that God sees my afflictions and knows my sorrows?

      Why did the Israelites need to leave Egypt?

      Were any of Moses' questions not legitimate? If so, which and why?

      How might God identifying Himself as I AM have been significant on
      that occasion?

      FOUNDATIONS TO BUILD ON

      God calls at the right time. Though the Israelites were away from their
      own land for a long time, God didn't move to relocate them. Though the
      Israelites lost some of their freedoms in that foreign land, God was not
      yet ready to move them back to where they belonged. Though the Israelites
      went through terrible hardship and suffering, God seemed in no hurry to
      liberate them. Though Moses wanted to be part of the process, God allowed
      him to fail and go into exile. Finally, after forty years of that, God
      called Moses to set His people free. Why such a long wait for Moses and
      a much longer wait for the Israelites? Because any time before then was
      not the right time. Only God knew when the time was precisely correct for
      Israel, Moses, Aaron, Pharaoh, Egypt, and everyone else near and far who
      would be affected by the uprooting and relocating of Israel. God wasn't
      waiting idly by; He was busy working all that time. And when the time was
      right at last, He called Moses. God is no different today!

      God's ways are His own. Why would God use a burning-but-not-consuming
      bush? I don't know; neither do you. Who knows but God? And should it
      matter that we do not know? God used that bush to catch Moses' attention.
      That was His way that time for that man for that message. He'll use that
      method again if ever and whenever it suits His purposes. His ways are His
      alone. We do well to neither expect nor insist that He suit His ways to ours!

      God knows. Just as surely as God had been seeing the affliction, hearing
      the cry, and knowing the sorrow of His people back then, He has been
      seeing, hearing, and knowing our needs. Our comfort lies not in being
      excused from hard times but in knowing that we and our condition are
      known in the heart of the Almighty Shepherd. Rest!

      DID GOD IGNORE THE QUESTION OF MOSES RECORDED IN EXODUS 3:11?

      God is under no obligation to answer anyone's questions. When He
      chooses to answer, it is because of His wisdom and not because of our
      whims or wishes. Shall any human dare complain against the Almighty
      should He opt to ignore a question? "Be not rash with thy mouth, and let
      not thine heart be hasty to utter any thing before God: for God is in
      heaven, and thou upon earth: therefore let thy words be few"
      (Ecclesiastes 5:2).

      Even so, God chose to answer Moses, who dared reply to God's call by
      asking, "God, who am I, that I should go unto Pharaoh, and that I should
      bring forth the children of Israel out of Egypt?" God's answer, though
      hidden, rings forth in the following verse: "It's not who you are (or
      aren't), Moses, but Who I Am . . . and I will be with you. That's what
      matters -- not who you think you aren't." I admit I have interpreted God's
      answer, so listen to it here in its direct simplicity: "Certainly I will be
      with thee."

      Clearly, God's answers are sometimes hidden.

      WOULD GOD HAVE CALLED MOSES HAD HE NOT TURNED ASIDE TOWARD THE BUSH?

      We obviously do not know that either. However, the wording and
      sentence structure of the Scriptures certainly seems to leave us room to
      conclude that had Moses walked on, God would not have called him at
      that time: "And when the LORD saw that he turned aside to see, God
      called unto him" (Exodus 3:4). It also seems that God used this
      phenomenon as a test of Moses' spiritual sensitivity. It seems that Moses
      could later look back to this incident as assuring proof that God honors
      and uses those who demonstrate the spiritual "curiosity" to investigate the
      works and doings of God.

      May God deliver us from an uninterested heart and an uninquisitive spirit
      that have no interest in "checking out" what God is up to!

      (All but the introductory questions originally written early 2004.)

      Additional Reading:
      Separation Begins in the Heart
      http://http://www.anabaptists.org/clp/youth/1-101.html

      A Separated Lifestyle