[thoughts] Confronting a Friend With His Sin (February 2-8, 2009)

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2009

      (2 Samuel 12:1-14)

      Would you rather be Nathan or David in this account?

      Which would you prefer to face: David or Nathan?

      When God's people sin, is reproach always brought upon God?

      On what basis do I dare confront another with his sin?

      How can I become easier to confront?

      Why should I accept correction?

      What if I don't deserve it?

      (original version: mid-1993)

      We have no conclusive indication that David struggled with his
      conscience at all. At some point early on, I would think he did. This
      experience of David clearly shows how one sin can gradually sever our
      contact with reality. The righteousness, omniscience and judgment of
      God seem entirely forgotten by David. Amazing! David was so out of
      touch that even Nathan's story did not connect properly. The prophet
      finally had to accuse very directly, "Thou art the man," and tell David
      point blank what he meant. The message from God was not ambiguous:
      "Wherefore hast thou despised the commandment of the LORD, to do
      evil in his sight? Thou hast despised me, and hast taken the wife of
      Uriah. By this deed thou hast given great occasion to the enemies of the
      LORD to blaspheme."

      Isn't God faithful and merciful! He could have reacted as David did
      against the rich man in the story, with immediate and harsh condemnation.
      Or He could have just let David continue his descent from good to worse.
      But instead of either approach, God chose exposure, conviction and
      another opportunity to repent. And God emerged victorious in the hard-
      fought spiritual battle for the heart and allegiance of David. Satan had
      gained an upper hand, but when David got the message loud and clear,
      brokenness and repentance quickly resulted. And the devil was defeated.

      (written in late 2000)

      People aren't perfect. Come to think of it, people are *far* from perfect.
      And some folks' imperfections glare. To make matters even worse yet,
      we have to live with these folks! (Too bad we aren't perfect ourselves;
      otherwise, we might manage all this better!) OK, we get the picture now.
      But how shall we respond to these folks and their failings?

      With foresight. When I wanted to harvest corn from our garden, I
      planted corn. Care to guess why I did such a thing? Right! We reap what
      we sow. Gardeners who have the foresight to anticipate what they wish
      to harvest can easily figure out what to plant. That same principle
      operates in human relationships. Jesus said, "With what judgment ye
      judge, ye shall be judged" (Matthew 7:2). From this I learn that I should
      have the foresight to anticipate a time when I will want certain responses
      from others when *I* fail. And having that foresight, I should now sow
      those very responses when I face the failings of others. It helps me to
      remember that they are no less imperfect than I!

      With consideration. I already alluded to this response. As we gaze upon
      others' failings, we need to consider: "Why beholdest thou the mote that
      is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own
      eye?" (Matthew 7:3). Whenever we view another's shortcomings outside
      the context of our own failures, we become judgmental, proud, scornful,
      or merciless...or all those and more.

      With honesty. When it comes to our responses to failings in the lives of
      others, the commodity of honesty must apply equally to them and to us.
      First, we need to be honest with ourselves; we need to acknowledge (and
      work at removing) the rafter in our own eye. Once we have accomplished
      that task (with all due delicacy and care, naturally), we are well-
      prepared to go to the other person. We need to be honest with them as
      well; we need to inform them (with all due delicacy and care, naturally)
      that they have a sliver in their eye. We should quickly assure them that
      we have hands-on, first-hand experience and knowledge in removing such
      hazards to vision. Denying the mote in their eye makes no more sense
      than denying the beam in our own. Humility does wonderful and salutary
      things for honesty. So try them both the next time you see a fault in

      (echoes from mid-1994 and early 2006)

      Dare we read 1 Timothy 5:1 as an assertion that we need less rebuking
      and more intreating? Perhaps not. However, consider it that way for now.

      "Rebuke not an elder, but intreat him as a father; and [rebuke not] the
      younger men [but intreat them] as brethren; [rebuke not] the older
      women [but intreat them] as mothers; [rebuke not] the younger [women,
      but intreat them] as sisters, with all purity."

      What do you think? My insertions above do no injustice to English
      grammar and mechanics, neither do they assault the context of the
      teaching. Having said that, I hasten to clarify that, as always,
      understanding and applying any portion of Scripture must be done in the
      broader context of God's Word to us. So I do not intend to suggest that
      God forbids all rebuking.

      We all sin. We all fail. We all come (far) short of 100% godliness. Thus
      we all need input and correction from fellow believers, particularly those
      of the local body.

      How do *you* respond to and deal with failure and outright sin in the
      church? Well, if you are like me, it is too easy to hinge the answer on
      who the sinner is. If an "opponent" falls, the flesh barks impatiently for
      quick, unbending retribution. If someone who recently corrected me fails,
      the flesh exults in the wonderful opportunity to return tit for tat. If a
      friend misses the mark, well...we must be loving and understanding, not
      judgmental and hasty, you know. And if I goof, back off everybody!!

      Not only do the responses get softer as the sinner gets closer to us, our
      view of the sin moderates. Notice the subject and verbs of the dependent
      clauses: opponent falls, someone fails, friend misses, I goof. That is the
      flesh. God hates this kind of respect of persons. Proverbs 11:1 tells us
      that a false balance is an abomination to the Lord. This kind of response
      to sin is an abominable false balance!

      Consider 2 Corinthians 13:11 -- "Finally, brethren, farewell. Be perfect,
      be of good comfort, be of one mind, live in peace; and the God of love
      and peace shall be with you." I am challenged by four principles to help
      us respond properly to and deal wisely with the errant among us.
      Faithfully following through with these will deepen our communion in
      the body and with "the God of love and peace."

      Be perfect. This sounds like an impossible beginning to a formidable
      task. Who is perfect, anyway?! Matthew 5:48 implies that because of the
      Father's perfection we can be perfect. This perfection is accomplished
      through the Lord's presence in the life of the believer, by the believer
      abiding in the Lord, and through the mutual dependence of each church
      member (John 17:23). The Lord in me would never allow me to be harsh
      or partial, and I certainly would not wish to be unkind toward the Lord
      in a fellow believer! When I recognize my dependence on another
      Christian, I see the foolishness of dealing unwisely with him since it
      would be to my own hurt. Under these circumstances, patience becomes
      much more natural, and that patience in turn leads to further perfection
      (James 1:4). A perfect response toward sin and sinner also includes
      "speaking the truth in love" (Ephesians 4:15). One more comment --
      *perfect* here means "to mend, repair, complete, strengthen."

      Be of good comfort. This Greek word can be used to mean "to admonish,
      exhort, beg, entreat, beseech" or "to console, encourage, strengthen,
      comfort" or "to instruct, teach." There is no room in this word for
      harshness or politics. This approach works with genuine forgiveness to
      help sustain the spirit and soul of the fallen one (2 Corinthians 2:7). Just
      as the Lord comforts our hearts and establishes us in every good word
      and work (2 Thessalonians 2:17), so we now do for any brother or sister
      who has erred (2 Corinthians 1:4).

      Be of one mind. This literally means to exercise the mind, that is, to
      have an interest, sentiment or opinion. A restorer with one mind says
      "Not me and mine, but Jesus and His." This keeps the fallen one from
      being threatened by the restorer. Other Scriptures loudly and insistently
      call us to be of the same mind in our humble consideration of each other
      and in our humiliation for another's benefit.

      Live in peace. Peace. What is it; the mere absence of conflict? I have
      long been fascinated by Strong's comment that this word probably comes
      from a primary verb meaning "to join." Peacemaking in the church is an
      effort to rejoin that which has been severed. Living together in peace in
      the church is living in oneness and mutual acceptance. Unless the errant
      one knows we are not rejecting him and looking down our noses at him,
      he will not respond positively to our efforts to help him rise again.

      Thanks for being a subscriber to "Thoughts for the Week"!
      Mark Roth

      A way in which you may help support "Thoughts for the Week"

      If you're going to buy at eBay, Amazon.com, or Travelocity,
      please use my gateways!

      Webmasters: Did you know this is a syndicated column?
      With two lines of code, you can put it on
      your own site...and that's it. Click this
      link for more details: