[thoughts] Teaching With Authority (June 30 - July 6, 2008)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 4, 2008

      TEACHING WITH AUTHORITY
      (Luke 4:31-37; 20:1-8)

      WHAT WAS SO ASTONISHING ABOUT THE LORD'S TEACHING?

      It came from His heart. The people were accustomed to teaching
      that came only from the head from teachers whose hearts too
      clearly were out of sync with the God whose message they
      pretended to bear. But Jesus believed and lived what He taught.

      It went to their hearts. The people were accustomed to teaching
      that at most appealed to their intellects, coming from teachers
      whose primary (sole?) interest was external conformity. But Jesus
      spoke to and cared about the real heart needs of the hearers.

      The teaching of Jesus wasn't show and showmanship. The
      teaching of Jesus was "as cold waters to a thirsty soul" because
      it was "good news from a far country" (Proverbs 25:25).

      The scribes spoke unconvincingly of the will of God. When
      Jesus taught, though, people were astonished and amazed at the
      authority and power they saw. What made the difference? "My
      meat is to do the will of him that sent me" (John 4:34). "I came
      down from heaven, not to do mine own will" (John 6:38).
      "Father...not my will, but thine, be done" (Luke 22:42). Those
      who submit themselves to the message they present will present
      that message convincingly, with authority and power.

      Jesus taught with authority because He believed and lived what
      He taught. And He taught with authority because He was under
      authority. Christians today can also teach with authority for the
      very same reasons!

      How are *you* doing in these areas?

      PRELUDE TO SERVICE

      Surely most Christians would like to do something for God,
      preferably something of significance and worth. We want to
      produce good results for the kingdom and glory of God. We want
      to bear worthwhile fruit. Can you identify with such desires?
      Then here is some welcome news: God desires that for you as
      well! I must also tell you, though, that before God can use us
      effectively we need to accept His preparations in our lives.

      One way He prepares us is through submission. God graciously
      gives us plenty of opportunities to submit to the authority and
      wishes of others. He does this because servants are no good if
      they can't or won't honor the desires and commands of those who
      are over them. Even the Lord Jesus spent the majority of His
      earthly life in apparent obscurity, learning submission and
      exercising Himself in it. So if you wish to be a useful servant of
      God, learn to respond properly to authority. Live a life of
      obedience, submission, and cooperation. Do your best to please
      those under whose authority you live: parents, teachers,
      ministers, employers, police, and other civil authorities.

      Another way God prepares us to serve Him is through testing.
      He has numerous testing methods. He tests us to teach us, to
      strengthen us, to mature us, to prove us, and to encourage us.
      Again we should note that even Jesus Christ went through
      testings of various sorts. In accepting and passing the tests, Jesus
      proved that humans who rely on God can achieve victory in this
      life. So if you wish to be a useful servant of God, get ready for
      those tests! Know and live by the Scriptures. Resist the devil.
      Deny the sinful desires of your flesh. Learn from your own
      experiences as well as those of others.

      Do you still want to do something for God, something of worth
      and significance? Good! So do I. Let's accept the preludes to and
      preparations for service that God has established for His servants.

      HIS INCREASING GOVERNMENT

      People all around wish that the country's government would
      operate by Christian principles and accomplish Godly purposes.
      It seems that when they think of Christ's increasing government,
      they think of His increasing role in human government. If only
      they could grasp the fact that such principles and purposes are
      not meant for governmental departments and bureaucracies. If
      only they would quit their political and civic actions aimed at
      Christianizing government, and instead direct their considerable
      efforts and energies toward taking the Gospel to individuals.
      Christ came to save sinners, not governments. The Holy Spirit is
      given to the saints, not to government agencies. Why can't so
      many people see that?!

      Indeed. And what about the rulership of my own heart? Jesus
      wishes to see "the increase of his government" (Isaiah 9:7) in my
      own life. He wants me more fully surrendered today than I was
      yesterday. Why do I so often fail to see *that*?!