[thoughts] Our High Priest Forever (June 2-8, 2008)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 5, 2008

      OUR HIGH PRIEST FOREVER
      (Hebrews 7:14-28)

      HOPE AND GRACE FROM OUR DIVINE HIGH PRIEST

      Did Jesus have to give up some of His deity to humanize
      Himself? Not at all! However, He did willingly restrict the
      expression of some aspects of His deity in order that He might
      inhabit a normal human body. For example, though God neither
      slumbers nor sleeps, Jesus in the flesh slept. That does not
      disprove His deity, but rather, it illustrates one way in which He
      limited Himself that He might be fully human.

      Now, get this: Jesus was as human as you! Even the devil
      recognized that; otherwise, he would not have bothered tempting
      the Lord. Jesus willingly clothed Himself with a body so human
      the devil could appeal to His senses. Imagine! Never before in
      eternity or in time had the devil had an opportunity of this
      magnitude: he could appeal to God through His own flesh. That
      to me constitutes just one proof of Jesus' love for me. Jesus
      deliberately took a weak human body so that He might
      experience fully the temptations the devil metes out to me. But
      not just that, Jesus set about to prove the possibility of defeating
      Satan in his own territory. That is what these verses mean to me:

      "Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his
      brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in
      things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of
      the people. For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted,
      he is able to succour them that are tempted" (Heb. 2:17-18).

      "For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with
      the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like
      as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly unto the
      throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to
      help in time of need" (Heb. 4:15-16).

      Jesus won! That means we can win also! Jesus was victorious
      over the devil; therefore, we can obtain His mercy and grace to
      do the same!

      AND UNDERSTANDING, TOO

      Until Jesus came in the flesh, both His comforts and His
      commands to His people could have been rejected as
      disconnected and idealistic. Until Jesus felt the power of the
      devil personally, His promises of victory could have been
      dismissed as hollow. But He came as a bonafide man! He *can*
      be "touched with the feeling of our infirmities...[and] was in all
      points tempted like as we" (Hebrews 4:15). The temptings He
      suffered make Him better "able to succour them that are
      tempted" (Hebrews 2:18). We serve the only God "Who can have
      compassion on the ignorant, and on them that are out of the
      way..." (Hebrews 5:2). Furthermore, I infer from Hebrews 2:17
      that His incarnation makes Him the "merciful and faithful high
      priest" we could not have had otherwise.

      Jesus understands (me as well as my problems) because He is
      Creator. He also understands because He once was human.

      He really does understand!

      SOME WAYS IN WHICH JESUS' PRIESTHOOD DIFFERS FROM THE LEVITICAL PRIESTHOOD

      - backed by the power of an endless life (16)
      - everlasting (17)
      - makes perfect (19)
      - gives better hope and better intimacy with God (19)
      - unchangeable (24)
      - saves totally, thoroughly, and completely (25)
      - offers continual intercession for us (25)
      - absolutely pure and holy (26)
      - one single sacrifice (27)
      - no need to sacrifice for Himself (27)
      - sacrificed Himself (27)
      - no infirmity in Jesus (28)
      - consecrated for eternity (28)

      Thanks for being a subscriber to "Thoughts for the Week"!

      A way in which you may help support "Thoughts for the Week"

      If you're going to buy at eBay, Amazon.com, or Travelocity,
      please use my gateways!
      http://www.anabaptistbooks.com/services/my-ebay/
      http://www.anabaptistbooks.com/services/amazon/
      http://www.GodsPost.com/travel.html

      Webmasters: Did you know this is a syndicated column?
      With two lines of code, you can put it on
      your own site...and that's it. Click this
      link for more details:

      http://www.anabaptists.org/syndicate.html