[thoughts] Teaching Us to Pray (January 14-20, 2008)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 14, 2008

      TEACHING US TO PRAY
      (Luke 11:1-13)

      HOW EASILY WE PRAY...

      ..."Thy kingdom come"! We glide right along, smoothly sliding
      over these words most of us have known since our childhood.
      The Lord taught us to pray this way; we shall obey. Besides, it
      does sound quite noble and spiritual. But what kind of life effort
      are we putting forth to contribute to the realization of this request?

      Jesus said, "My kingdom is not of this world." The citizens of
      His kingdom do not pursue the trivia, trinkets and treasures of
      this planet. Neither will they allow the cares, commodities and
      conveniences of this life to distract them from the pursuit of
      Christ's kingdom.

      Jesus also said, "Seek ye first the kingdom of God." Not first
      after my schoolwork. Not first after my job. Not first after my
      career training. Not first after my recreation. Not first after my
      health and wealth. Not first after my boyfriend or girlfriend. Not
      first after myself or others. First! So, what is *one* thing you
      can do differently today than yesterday to begin to seek first
      God's kingdom?

      HOW GLIBLY WE PRAY...

      ...requesting "our daily bread"! I don't have a big checking
      account, but it could still buy a bunch of bread. Even if we had
      a checking balance of $.05, Ruby could bake quite a few loaves
      from all the ingredients around here. If both the bank account
      and the ingredients on hand registered zero, our freezers may yet
      contain six or eight loaves from the sales we "hit" last week. Our
      *daily* bread indeed!

      Due to our thrift, provision and foresight, shall we skip praying
      this portion? After all, it seems we could hardly pray this in
      faith. I would say that at our present level of existence we should
      pray this portion more out of submission than need.

      Huh? Yes. We don't need to *ask* for our daily bread today;
      there's most of a loaf parked on the counter right now. However,
      we *do* need to *surrender* that daily bread to the Lord. The
      house may burn. The flour may get contaminated. The freezers
      may fail. The mice may be providing for *their* present and
      future needs. And some indigent person just might come to the
      door begging for that loaf on the counter.

      HOW PRESUMPTUOUSLY WE PRAY...

      ..."Forgive us...for we also forgive"! I wonder if I have ever
      heard anyone pray this portion from the heart. Oh, I probably
      have and just didn't catch on. But with all our struggles with
      bitterness, division, suspicion, anger, malice, gossip and outright
      unforgiveness . . . . You got the point. Pray carefully and
      humbly. Forgive quickly and generously. Your destiny hangs on it!

      HOW CARELESSLY WE PRAY...

      ..."Deliver us from evil"! Then we leave it up to God to answer
      the prayer of our lips! Where is the heart disposed to avoid the
      gratification of the flesh? Where are the eyes ready to look the
      other way? Where are the feet quick to move to safer ground?
      Where are the ears ready to tune in the godly and disregard the
      evil? Where are the hands set to close and put far away certain
      reading material? Where is the mind armored up to fight the
      battles? Where?!

      HOW SINCERELY WE PRAY...

      ..."Our Father which art in heaven"!

      Ways in which you may help support "Thoughts for the Week"

      Have you looked recently at my used books for sale?
      http://www.anabaptistbooks.com/services/used.html

      Please rate this Ezine at the Cumuli Ezine Finder
      http://www.cumuli.com/ezines/ra20854.rate