[thoughts] Born of a Virgin (December 3-9, 2007)

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 8, 2007

      BORN OF A VIRGIN
      (Luke 1:26-38)
      (Originally for December 22, 2002)

      SUBMISSIVE

      Mary did not have an exalted view of herself. Otherwise, her
      response to the angel might well have been along the lines of,
      "Yes, I know." Instead, the angel's greeting puzzled her. But she
      didn't allow her lack of understanding to get in the way of her
      availability. She simply wanted to be looked on as the Lord's
      servant, humbly adding: "Be it unto me according to thy word"
      (Luke 1:38).

      We can be certain that at that moment Mary didn't know the full
      cost of that accepting availability. However, she *did* know the
      certainty of her commitment to the God of her fathers. And she
      knew the depth of her love for Jehovah. That meant no cost
      could possibly be too high. So submission was the only logical
      response. Whatever He might ask of her, she would gladly give.

      I want to live that kind of submission to the will and Word of
      God. Not only that, I want to *enjoy* being submissive, from
      the heart, with no reserve. How about you? May the Lord grant
      that we determine to pay whatever cost in order to live out our
      commitment to Jesus in willing submission!

      JOYFUL

      "So Mary was joyful. How nice." In a way, it would make sense
      to think such cynical, sarcastic thoughts. After all, an angel had
      just notified her of her selection for the greatest human
      assignment of all time. "If I had received news of such
      magnitude, I would be joyful as well!"

      Before getting too carried away with that kind of thinking,
      consider this: "My spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour" (Luke
      1:47). That challenges, convicts, and encourages me. You see,
      for the last several months I have found this joyful business to
      be a difficult business indeed. I wouldn't say I have been
      depressed, but certainly discouraged and morose. What's more,
      I have not been entirely sure of all the reasons why!

      Now I notice that Mary's primary focus was God. He was her
      cause and reason for rejoicing. She looked to Him and found
      plenty of reasons to rejoice. I could say that Mary would find it
      easy and natural to do that, but that doesn't help me. But I think
      of David, who at times found himself in depressing straits, and
      how on at least one difficult occasion "he encouraged himself in
      the LORD his God" (1 Samuel 30:6).

      Let's determine to do better at turning our eyes to God, finding
      in Him our rejoicing . . . all the time . . . no matter what.
      Frankly, it looks very hard to me; even so, I still think it is
      attainable. So let's not give up!

      PONDERING

      Mary did not take the fact she could not understand so many of
      these things as a reason for not thinking about them. I imagine
      she studied them from this angle and that, perhaps even
      wondering which of the beloved Scriptures applied.

      Meditation on God, His Word, and His ways needs to be a
      significant portion of the Christian's thought life. I know it would
      help us overcome any wrong thought or focus that we might
      otherwise entertain. Listen:

      "But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth
      he meditate day and night" (Psalm 1:2).

      "I will meditate also of all thy work, and talk of thy doings"
      (Psalm 77:12).

      "I remember the days of old; I meditate on all thy works; I muse
      on the work of thy hands" (Psalm 143:51).

      Thanks for being a subscriber to "Thoughts for the Week"!

      A way in which you may help support "Thoughts for the Week"

      If you're going to buy at eBay, Amazon.com, or Travelocity,
      please use my gateways!
      http://www.anabaptistbooks.com/services/my-ebay/
      http://www.anabaptistbooks.com/services/amazon/
      http://www.GodsPost.com/travel.html

      Webmasters: Did you know this is a syndicated column?
      With two lines of code, you can put it on
      your own site...and that's it. Click this
      link for more details:

      http://www.anabaptists.org/syndicate.html