[thoughts] The Marriage Supper of the Lamb (April 30 - May 6, 2007)

    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2007

      THE MARRIAGE SUPPER OF THE LAMB
      (Revelation 19:1-13)

      ARE YOU DRESSED FOR THE OCCASION?

      In the last eight months, I attended two very special weddings.
      First, our son Russell married Shari. Several months later, our
      daughter LaVay married Luke. I hadn't worn a suit in years, but
      I did for both of those ocasions. Something about marriage
      ceremonies makes me want to wear something special, especially
      if a family member is part of the featured couple. But if I hadn't
      worn something special, no great harm would have been done.

      Another marriage is on the horizon. I want to be appropriately
      dressed for that occasion as well. After all, it will top all other
      weddings for "special." For this one, though, if I don't dress
      properly, the greatest of all harms will be done to me. I won't
      even be allowed to attend with the consequences of that being eternal.

      So here's a piece of the coming scene as painted in Revelation 19:7-9:

      Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the
      marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready.

      And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen,
      clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints.

      And he saith unto me, Write, Blessed are they which are called
      unto the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he saith unto me,
      These are the true sayings of God.

      In that marriage I have been called to be part of the bride of the Lamb!

      Part of my calling in this life is to make myself ready.

      And part of making myself ready is wearing now the garment for
      the occasion then.

      The bride is to be clothed in clean, white, fine linen.

      How do I wear that now?

      By living in the righteousness of the Lamb, "for the fine linen is
      the righteousness of saints."

      WHAT IS THE ARRAY OF CLOTHING WORN BY THE SAINTS IN THIS LIFE?

      We already noted righteousness in today's text. Here are some
      other verses that expand that for us:

      "But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for
      the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof" (Romans 13:14).

      "Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels
      of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness,
      longsuffering" (Colossians 3:12).

      "And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of
      perfectness" (Colossians 3:14).

      "Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all
      of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility:
      for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble"
      (1 Peter 5:5).

      Am I dressed?

      Are you?