[thoughts] Known by Our Love (February 26 - March 4, 20007)

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2 8:08 AM

      KNOWN BY OUR LOVE
      (1 John 2:3-17)

      Since the greatest commandment is "Thou shalt love the Lord
      thy God will all," one of the greatest questions has simply got to
      be "How shall I love God?" After all, just how does one love an
      unseen Someone?

      One Christian called another "scum." Can you believe that?!
      They didn't agree on the issue of eternal security, so the one
      became scum to the other. Well, for all that I know, maybe the
      feeling was quite mutual. Whatever the case, I have to ask
      another question.

      What distinguishes the Christian in this generation and in our
      communities? No doubt the answer continues to vary from place
      to place and from person to person. But we've got to look
      beyond such variables to see the ruler established by Christ.

      "By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have
      love one to another" (John 13:34).

      I can readily see that calling another "scum" does not fit at all as
      a subpoint of "love one another." I've never called anyone
      "scum," and may the Lord preserve my record. Shall I then
      indulge my self-satisfaction? Hardly.

      How easily I look down on another! How effortlessly I maintain
      a low esteem for so-and-so! How automatically I rate myself
      better than he/she/they! That reveals that I selected the wrong
      ruler in measuring myself and others.

      While we want to stand out as those who love God with all, we
      stumble in loving our neighbor as ourselves. How tragic to
      distinguish oneself for a lack of love!

      SO HOW SHALL I LOVE GOD?

      "If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for
      he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he
      love God whom he hath not seen?" (1 John 4:20). No wonder
      Jesus said the second commandment is like unto the first!

      "For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt
      love thy neighbour as thyself" (Galatians 5:14). This ought to
      keep any legalist busy. (smile) Then again, this would keep the
      one who says the whole law has been fulfilled just as busy!
      Incidentally, if you say you don't love yourself enough to love
      someone else, I urge two more verses to your meditation.

      "And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth
      God love his brother also" (1 John 4:21).

      "A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one
      another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another"
      (John 13:34).

      God wants my love for another to flow naturally from God's
      love to Him...and God's love to me.

      My brother may be wrong and my neighbor may wrong me, but
      my calling still remains to love. You see, "above all things have
      fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the
      multitude of sins" (1 Peter 4:8).