[thoughts] Worthy of Praise (March 20-26, 2006)

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 25 9:11 AM

      WORTHY OF PRAISE
      (Psalm 145:1-13)

      THE LORD IS GOOD TO ALL:
      AND HIS TENDER MERCIES
      ARE OVER ALL HIS WORKS."
      (Psalm 145:9)

      The Lord is good to all because the Lord is good. I wonder how many times the
      King James Version uses that expression. I'll look it up right now.... Seven.
      I'm surprised the number isn't higher. But that's OK. The fact is, the
      Scriptures are stuffed full of demonstrations of the goodness of the Lord.

      Come to think of it, my own life has ample evidences that the Lord is good.
      And that's what this lesson should remind us of. Each of us knows the Lord
      is good because we have experienced it. Therefore, He is worthy of praise
      -- our praise!

      Well, back to the verse above.... All the Lord has done, is doing, and will do
      is covered by and immersed in His tender mercies. All of it. We can rest in
      that, even when we go through life experiences that tear, break, crush, and
      hurt us. Especially when we go through such times do we need to remember and
      prop ourselves up against that certainty.

      The Lord is good to all and in that goodness He works in tender, merciful ways.

      To what kind of commitment will that goodness, tenderness, and mercy lead us?

      First of all, it should assure us that we can confidently and whole-heartedly
      cast ourselves upon Him. With all assurance and trust we can serve Him with
      utter abandon, holding back nothing because He is worthy of that kind of
      surrender and that kind of service.

      Secondly, it should draw from us words and lives that praise Him. Notice that
      the first two verses of this Psalm state this type of commitment openly and
      plainly:

      "I will extol thee, my God, O king; and I will bless thy name for
      ever and ever."

      "Every day will I bless thee; and I will praise thy name for ever
      and ever."

      How have you blessed God today? Has He received any praise from me today?

      He deserves to be greatly praised -- "Great is the LORD, and greatly to be
      praised" (3).

      He deserves to have His works praised from one age group to another -- "One
      generation shall praise thy works to another, and shall declare thy mighty
      acts" (4).

      He deserves to have people review His past goodness -- "They shall abundantly
      utter the memory of thy great goodness" (7).

      He deserves to have His people be a source of blessing to Him by their lives
      -- "thy saints shall bless thee" (10).

      He deserves all that because He alone has earned it. He is worthy! Will I
      commit myself to giving Him at least a small portion of what He deserves?

      "Give unto the LORD the glory due unto his name; worship the LORD in the
      beauty of holiness" (Psalm 29:2).

      Let my praise of Him be reinforced, magnified, and made valuable by a life
      that is beautiful in its holiness (ie being set apart for Him).

      NOTE FROM MARK:

      I'm sorry you didn't get the comments for the previous three Sundays. I
      have not written them yet. I was gone to Mexico from March 1 through March
      15. I was presenting a week-long marriage seminar. Besides much catch-up
      work related to family and business after getting home, I had persistent
      computer problems to resolve. Thank you for your patience!

      Thanks for being a subscriber to "Thoughts for the Week"!

      Ways in which you may help support "Thoughts for the Week"

      God's Post -- free email with a built-in message
      Are *you* at God's post?
      He wants to pierce your ear there!
      http://www.GodsPost.com

      MannaTech may be just what you need to try
      http://www.GodsPost.com/mannatech.html