[thoughts] Living by Faith (May 2-8, 2005)

    Message 1 of 1 , May 4, 2005
      I have no control over and hereby disclaim ads/links above.

      If you're going to buy that ticket at Travelocity,
      please use my gateway!
      http://www.GodsPost.com/travel.html

      LIVING BY FAITH
      (Galatians 2:15-3:5)

      PROBING YOUR OWN HEART

      Are you relying on your works for right standing before God?

      Do you believe and know that Christ lives in you?

      BUILDING ON SOME FOUNDATIONAL CONCEPTS

      Works do not justify anyone.
      Everyone has an inborn propensity to want to *do* something to
      merit and gain a feeling of security about their standing with God.
      The idea of salvation through faith is unacceptable to the flesh.
      The flesh insists it must perform in order to deserve. The flesh
      believes it can achieve some level or degree of accomplishment
      which will allow it to attain righteousness. The flesh, of course,
      is wrong. Right standing with God is not something we earn, merit,
      deserve, or achieve. Therefore, works will not work!

      Anyone can be justified by the faith of Jesus Christ.
      Whether he's a master terrorist or a stellar citizen, the faith
      of Jesus is what he needs for redemption. Whether she's the best or
      the worst humanity has to offer, the faith of Jesus is what she
      needs for redemption. Whether they grew up in a rock-solid
      Christian home or in demon-worshiping home, only the faith of Jesus
      will bring them redemption. Thankfully, no matter who or how anyone
      is, Jesus makes His redemption available to them.

      To live in Christ, we must be crucified with Him.
      Jesus died to make possible our eternal redemption. Then He
      rose again into new life. For His death to have any effect for us,
      we must die to self, to sin, and to the world. To experience the
      abundant life He promises, we must die daily to our flesh and thus
      to all the enticements it is offered. Daily we must purposefully
      make Jesus, His kingdom, and His righteousness the point and focus
      of our living. Every time we face the choice of living our way or
      His way, we must choose His way.

      QUESTIONS AND RESPONSES

      Why do I fail in my efforts to be what I ought to be?
      No matter how hard we try, we will always fall far short of
      perfection. No matter how much we do or not do, we will never come
      close to completeness. But if we surrender to the work and power of
      God's Spirit, He will steadily and patiently lead us to that
      perfection and completeness. "For it is God which worketh in you
      both to will and to do of his good pleasure" (Philippians 2:13).

      But can anyone truly experience perfection and completeness?
      "And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all
      principality and power" (Colossians 2:10).
      "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is
      profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for
      instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect,
      throughly furnished unto all good works" (2 Timothy 3:16,17).
      Here are some other pertinent verses: Philippians 1:6; Hebrews
      13:20,21; 1 Peter 5:10.

      My faith just doesn't seem strong enough -- how do I change that?
      In a physical sense, using whatever strength we have helps
      build further strength. Likewise spiritually -- exercise whatever
      faith you do have. That includes living in obedience to what you
      already know to be the will of God.
      Turn to Jesus, acknowledging your weak faith and asking Him to
      help you -- "Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief" (Mark 9:24).
      All faith comes from Him and all faith is made complete in Him; He
      gives faith its finishing touches -- "Looking unto Jesus the author
      and finisher of our faith" (Hebrews 12:2).
      Tune your ears and heart to God's Word. Discipline yourself to
      read and meditate on the Scriptures. Ask God to give you an
      appetite for His truth. You see, exposure and attentiveness to the
      Word of God causes faith to develop and mature. "So then faith
      cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God" (Romans 10:17).

      Webmasters: Did you know this is a syndicated column?
      With two lines of code, you can put it on
      your own site...and that's it. Click this
      link for more details:

      http://www.anabaptists.org/syndicate.html