Thoughts for the Week -- May 31 - June 6, 1999

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 1999

      The Godhead Creates
      (Genesis 1:1,2,20-25,29-31)

      Way back at the time of Creation, God issued a decree: reproduction
      according to kind. This means canaries produce canaries, whales produce
      whales, corn produces corn and people produce people. Elementary.

      The orderliness of this law is such that in His time in the flesh, Jesus
      could ask rhetorically, "Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of
      thistles?" (Matthew 7:16).

      Even in our day, we find this natural law so, well, natural, that even the
      least educated person wouldn't expect to raise strawberries with pine seed,
      nor would he expect a hummingbird to hatch from ostrich eggs.

      Like produces like. Can you think of any exceptions? Neither can I. Like
      produces like. That's just the way things work. Because God said so.

      In a sense, nobody needs to tell us that Canadian thistles will always
      produce Canadian thistles, and will never produce horses, salmon or even
      dandelions. Not very far into the process of living we just learn things
      like that. And we don't really need to be reminded of such facts.

      However, there is a spiritual application here for which we need frequent
      reminders. My values, my thoughts, my actions, my words, my motives, my
      ambitions--all these also reproduce after their kind.

      What shall I do when my thoughts are less than noble? What shall I do when
      they get stuck in bitterness, lust, mistrust, vindictiveness, self-pity and
      all their unkempt kin? Think nobly! Sure, as in a garden, the weedy
      thoughts need to be yanked out and refused nourishment and refuge. But
      also, as in a garden, the good thoughts need to be sown and tended with
      careful persistence.

      Do you want to be encouraged? Do you want to be an encourager? Then
      determine what kinds of seed produce encouragement...and plant those seeds
      at every turn! I challenge you to bring several samples of these seeds to
      your Sunday School class. You can surely encourage each other to be(come)
      encouragers.

      Sometimes we get tired of tending the good seeds and attacking the
      weeds...because it seems the only thing we harvest from our gardens is
      weeds. In the course of several weeks, the most we got out of our garden
      were weeds by the wheelbarrow loads! Furthermore, some corn, beans and
      potatoes needed to be replanted. Let me tell you, we garden for more than
      the pleasure of poking seeds in the soil and weeds in the wheelbarrow! But
      we stuck it out...and now we eat beets, beans, carrots and cucumbers from
      our garden.

      The same is true in the gardens of our lives and the lives of others. So
      let's encourage ourselves with this truth from today's lesson: Like
      produces like. Always. So, "let us not be weary in well doing: for in due
      season we shall reap, if we faint not" (Galatians 6:9).

      Anabaptists -- http://www.anabaptists.org

      Please, double-click to vote for the Anabaptists Web Site:

      http://www.stpt.com/vote.asp?spvote_id=29988
      (at Starting Point)

      Just don't vote more than once a day.

      Thanks!